FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Finally Starting the Project  (Read 7374 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Finally Starting the Project
« on: Jun 15, 2023, 06:53 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wanted to share my journey.

Back in 2018 or so, Dacker talked about restoring an ol’ rowboat that was his dad’s. I was suppose to do something similar back then, but life and a global pandemic got in the way. Now that spring chores are caught up and the veggies are planted, I’m FINALLY starting the project.

This boat was last registered in 1999. Boat sat upside down since then. The 4.5hp Merc sat in the basement, on a stand. Hoping to have this floating, engine running and trailer registered for the weekend after July 4th.

Bought a cup brush on my way home from work. Sanding the rivets with that, and hopefully getting course sand paper to speed up the remaining aluminum. Once properly sanded, going two coats of Gluvit, per the suggestions in 2018. Merc is going for a physical tomorrow to see if it’s salvageable.

Fingers crossed

taxid

Re: Finally Starting the Project
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2023, 09:01 PM »
Good luck. Sure looks doable to me!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2023, 09:32 PM »
Good luck!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Use Glovit!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2023, 05:14 AM »
Don’t over sand the rivets.. ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2023, 06:25 AM »
The best part of this adventure is that I am not a boat person or as handy as most on this site. I’m just a average ordinary guy who likes to do things on his own. Cut twice measure once on most home improvement projects….

I got two rows of rivets done last night. Need more-coarse sand paper to do the flat parts. The Milwaukee multi tool worked well but I’ll turn it over to the corded sander going forward.

Loaded up the Merc for its “physical”. I know it’s best not to transport it on its side, but it’s only an hour drive and is more likely to survive the drive than the last 24 years in the basement.

While I’m at the marina, I’m going to ask about this transom support. My dad tried to replace the original. He traced the original and cut his own. Unfortunately he clued multiple plywood sheets and it didn’t fare well.

I can’t wait until the wife comes home one day and can’t park in the garage because the project moved indoors!

oatkasut

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2023, 08:25 AM »
You will be shocked about the Merc; with a little work it will be humming. Better get that boat ready!  Had a Merc like that and t l8ived another day. Good luck.

krispcritter

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2023, 10:14 AM »
Friend of mine does boat and fiberglass repairs. For your mounting board, use exterior plywood, (not pressure treated ),sandwich the pieces together with fiberglass mat and resin thinned  10% so it can really soak in. Give all sides 3 or 4 coats of resin. After wards paint with a good marine paint. That's how he advised me anyhow.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

greensider

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2023, 12:56 PM »
Would like to see progress pictures I have seen people polish the old aluminum boats they shine up pretty good

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2023, 01:57 PM »
Pressure treated wood is ok if you coat it with resin and let it dry.
It's the copper in the pressure treatment that goes after aluminum (dissimilar metals - galvanic reaction).
But if you coat it with epoxy resin you are good.
Guys all over do this.
Also, the amount of copper in pressure treated these days is far less than 15 yrs ago.
Still, best to coat it and be safe.
Transporting an outboard on its side is ok because it's short term.
Some older 2stroke outboards actually have metal "bosses" on the side the manufacturer wants you to lay it down on.
Fuel draining/spilling is the big concern here.
With 4strokes it is also oil to worry about.

Looking good so far.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2023, 02:22 PM »
Myself…..I’d find a counter top shop and get some chunks of Corain or similar. Easy to work with and  You’ll never touch it again. Don’t care what you do with wood. It’ll go bad eventually.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2023, 02:57 PM »
All sound advise   That little merc will purr after the Dr. visit  and that aluminum will shine like a new penny.
  Don't forget to change those trailer wheel bearings , races and seals. After that many years they need it. Sounds like a great project. A few years back I rebuilt an old fiberglass row boat I was going to use it for a carp shooter.  After it was nearly done the guy who gave it to me couldn't stand it any longer and actually bought it back.  Go figure  at least I made a few bucks on it.

greensider

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2023, 04:19 PM »
When I was researching paint for old aluminum boats I read not to use paint with copper sulfate it eats aluminum like acid

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2023, 06:37 PM »
Rewire the trailer with LED lights.
Cheap upgrade that is worth the investment.

62 & Done

« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2023, 07:59 PM »
Yes sir- I just put LEDs on this spring after messing with rotten sockets and blown or broken bulbs for decades. Never again

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2023, 06:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. When I got to the marine service doctor, I was immediately drawn to the 4.5 Merc he had in the tank. Said someone gave it to him, but got it purring with some TLC.

Looks like a wet weekend in Saratoga, so I’ll be working on organizing garage in the hopes to move the boat indoors. If I throw it on saw horses and 2x’s I can see what the trailer looks like.

I’ll give the counter idea some thought. I do like the idea of something other than wood.

LED lights were always the plan, for the reasons mentioned above. When my dad bought the boat in the mid 90’s, the lights were on a notched 2x4 that was strapped across the back of the boat. He did a poor job hooking them up to the trailer.

New tires and bearings will definitely be on the todo list.

After the Gluvit; my plan was to apply this, which I think I came across in a Gluvit review.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.