FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Finally Starting the Project  (Read 7372 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Finally Starting the Project
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2023, 06:46 AM »
i redid my old  tub and  had fun  doing it  ....would  be  nice   for a  few  pictures as you  go along .... :thumbup_smilie:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #16 on: Jun 17, 2023, 07:17 AM »
Will be posting more photos as I go along. That’s part of the journey

62 & Done

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2023, 08:35 AM »
Love seeing a plan come together good luck along the way  Maybe we'll see you out there someday

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2023, 10:02 AM »
Boat trailer guides work well when you have a windy day or cross currents when retrieving your boat.
I have always liked the PVC type and they are flexible and really help to center the boat when loading it onto the trailer.

And to further add to this.
Putting your trailer lights on these will keep them out of the water when launching/retrieving.
I know that LED lights are "supposed to be" water tight, but why chance it?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-led-trailer-guide-on-post-pipe-mounted-taillight-kit?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Cabelas%7CShopping%7CSmart%7CAutoATV%7CGeneral%7CNAud%7CNVol%7CNMT&&&&&msclkid=537d9d5762da12edf6cff9daab140914&gclid=537d9d5762da12edf6cff9daab140914&gclsrc=3p.ds

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2023, 11:01 AM »
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!

Mother Nature has the weather guessers thinking it’s going to be a good week to work on the project.

While i wait for my father to call me back, I took the sander with 60 grain paper to half the boat. I once had a boss tell me “it’s okay to be cute, but not Mary Poppins cute” when it came to training employees on policies and procedures. I am not sure how “cute” I need to be about removing the paint. As I see it, as long as the rivets are clean, and the old paint is sanded smooth, I should be okay. Below are the two sides currently, as my dad rings:

I talked to a friend of mine who redid the floor of his boat. He has some marine grade plywood left so that may be what I use for the transom.

More to come…

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2023, 11:56 AM »
Still more sanding to go, but coming along nicely

Have to Google a fix for this, don’t think Gluvit will get the job done

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2023, 12:17 PM »
I’d glass it with fabric.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2023, 01:58 PM »
Still more sanding to go, but coming along nicely

Have to Google a fix for this, don’t think Gluvit will get the job done

That is only a wear strip.
It won't leak from that.
No need to repair it if you don't want to.
But if you do, either glass like Bob suggested or take it to weld shop and pay them $40-50 for them to mig it with a spool gun, or even tig weld.
Me - I would leave it alone.

Just an FYI - they make "etching" primer for painting aluminum.
Not really healthy to breath or get into your pores.
So, if you go this route, get a throw away Tyvek suit, gloves and canister respirator from Home Depot.  Make sure the respirator is fitted with the proper filter cans.
And paint it outdoors.
I have painted a TON of aluminum over the years.
An etching primer will help make this paint job look better and really last a LOT longer.

Here's a decent one -

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-249322-Automotive-12-Ounce-Etching/dp/B003CT498A/ref=asc_df_B003CT498A?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539307115755&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138862583103&psc=1

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2023, 04:46 PM »
Thanks RG, I’ll have to look into that

Mac, I’m just worried that hole will slow me down when I open up the Merc! I was thinking that there could be rivets underneath the guide, but after taking another look it doesn’t appear to be the case.

62 & Done

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2023, 08:01 PM »
If you don't plan on beaching the old girl for a picnic the glass should be all you need, otherwise I'd have it welded just so I could say it's done. Probably don't really need to.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2023, 08:33 PM »
I am leaning towards leaving it for now. Once launched if an issue we’ll address is.

Gluvit is ordered. Couldn’t find it locally. Ill finish cleaning up the rivets tomorrow, put the boat on saw horses and start the trailer Tuesday.

Thanks to everyone for the input thus far. More to come

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2023, 09:07 PM »
I am leaning towards leaving it for now. Once launched if an issue we’ll address is.

Gluvit is ordered. Couldn’t find it locally. Ill finish cleaning up the rivets tomorrow, put the boat on saw horses and start the trailer Tuesday.

Thanks to everyone for the input thus far. More to come

Just a thought.
Save some primer and paint if you do this.

Have fun.
This will be an awesome boat.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Back to battle with the project starting tonight. Moving indoors since the weather guessers have a chance of rain everyday for the next two weeks.

I picked up some J-B Weld putty for the gash in the runner. A buddy offered to give welding it a shot but he doesn’t have the time right now. Might take him up on the offer this fall, after I make the bait smell like fish.

Outside sanding is done. I picked up Klean Strip Concrete and Metal Prep to give it a nice cleaning.

Gluvit is in my mailbox, was snail-mailed from Mac’s neck of the woods. Thanks Amazon…

Picked up LED lights for the trailer. They look pretty simple to hook up.

More pictures once I actually do some work!

maddie

« Reply #28 on: Jun 23, 2023, 05:27 PM »
marine tex is your answer,fill it, sand it , paint it.

greensider

« Reply #29 on: Jun 24, 2023, 03:29 AM »
Those green epoxy sticks work great for aluminum boats Cabela's used to sell them but now I can only find them on eBay and not as big as they used to be I have repaired bad split v hulls they never leak after fixing with the sticks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.