FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River fishing places Around New York?  (Read 1230 times)

Irkuna

River fishing places Around New York?
« on: Aug 16, 2023, 02:39 PM »
Friends, could you please suggest a beautiful, small river near NYC that's accessible by public transportation within an hour to an hour and a half, where I can fish for trout and enjoy scenic views? Thank you in advance.  :)

filetandrelease

Re: River fishing places Around New York?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2023, 02:45 PM »

Welcome to the site Irkuna

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2023, 02:55 PM »

Welcome to the site..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

greensider

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2023, 05:26 PM »
Your best bet is an overnight trip a little farther north ditches and Ulster counties have great stream fishing and plenty of great scenery

Irkuna

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2023, 07:09 PM »
Your best bet is an overnight trip a little farther north ditches and Ulster counties have great stream fishing and plenty of great scenery

Thanks you so much! I'm a newbie in the USA :-) How can I determine where fishing is allowed and where it's not? Could you please recommend a beautiful spot where I can stay overnight, fish in a clean river, and enjoy the scenery?

Irkuna

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2023, 07:10 PM »

Thank you. I will explore these places

62 & Done

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2023, 08:03 PM »
Thanks you so much! I'm a newbie in the USA :-) How can I determine where fishing is allowed and where it's not? Could you please recommend a beautiful spot where I can stay overnight, fish in a clean river, and enjoy the scenery?
When you buy your NYS fishing license pick up a copy of the fishing rules and regs in NY. Read this carefully as the trout regulations can be a bit confusing. A lot hinges on where you will be fishing and in what waters.  Good luck and have fun.

ECobb91

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Like others have said, head north to the Catskills, they’re some of the premier trout fisheries in the country. It’s a little more than an hour away but worth the trip. The farther away from NYC you go, the more of the “true” New York you’ll experience. I rarely go south of the I-88 corridor, mostly by choice, but there’s a lot of great fishing opportunities downstate.

I’d also recommend checking out the NYSDEC trout mapper, in the layers click on “water-related activities” and then check the inland trout stream box. This will highlight most (not all) trout streams in the state and give you the category regulations, stocking schedule, and stocking amount of each stream identified. It’s a great resource.

https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/index.html?cat=WRL

Good luck and welcome to NY!

iceman260

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2023, 08:54 AM »
Welcome to the site Irkuna.

oatkasut

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2023, 03:58 PM »
Welcome, I know you can fish the Hudson  River between New Jersey and New York City from Hoboken,NJ  at Frank Sinatra Park, but you might be able to fish from the New York side. Check it out since you can catch stripped bass!

Johnnh

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2023, 05:37 AM »
Irkuna,
You might want to check out Croton Gorge where you can fish for Rainbows and Brookies in the Croton river. This is located in Croton on Hudson and you can get there by Metro North on the Hudson division. There is another fishing location at Croton Point Park on the Hudson river. You can fish for striped bass there.
Both locations are reachable by taxi from the train station or about a 1 to 3 mile walk from the train station.
Note: Croton Gorge / Croton river are on Rt 129
Croton Point park // you can see the park from the train station.
Hope this helps
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.