FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lost pike  (Read 6232 times)

fishinboy

• Team MI
Lost pike
« on: May 12, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Last Sunday was a great night for fishing around here.  I managed a bunch of nice gills, a bullhead, a crappie, and a pumkinseed.  All of them were released; they all appeared to be carrying eggs.  I also caught a nice healthy pike, around 23" which nailed a little red/black crankbait, and I released it unharmed.  Later on, I felt a nice strike on a rapala shad rap.  A few casts later, the fish hit again, and this time I hooked it.  I could tell that it was a pike based on the way it was jerking the line.  But, it felt like a small one, so I horsed him up to the canoe, not allowing the fish to run or pull out much drag.  I got it up to the canoe, and it indeed was a little northern, about 20-24".   It was hooked in the center of the mouth, with one treble in the roof of its mouth and one treble in the bottom.  The line, eight pound power pro, was rubbing against its teeth, and I saw that it was worn dangerously thin.  The pike saw me, too, and tried to take off.  It snapped my line (the first time that I have been broken off using power pro).  >:( I saw the pike suspended there, about two feet down as it recovered.  I went to grab my net to scoop it up, but it swam off to the depths too quickly.  I was furious with myself, and still am.  Basically, because of me being an idiot, that northern likely will die soon.  It won't be able to open its mouth very well to eat, and it will probably starve to death.  One of the key rules to fishing is to reel the fish in slowly, allowing it to fight and wear itself out, so that you don't break your line.  I feel terrible about losing the fish.  The lure can be replaced, it actullay already has been, but that fish likely won't make it.  Supposedly, the hooks will sometimes rot and eventually fall out, but I don't think that will happen in this case.  Luckily, the lake that I was fishing has a great population of fish and has great spawning areas.  I will probably release a couple of pike this summer that I normally would have kept to make up for my foolishness.  Has anyone else ever done something foolish like this?  ???  :-\ ???
Ryan

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Lost pike
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:08 PM »
You betcha, I use leaders on northerns now. ;)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Were the hooks barbless? If so the fish might still have a chance to throw them.

That's to bad but it happens sometimes, a good way to prevent that is to use a steel or titanium leader or even use 2 strands of powerpro together as a leader, if the fish nicks one the other should still hold.
Just a thought

WW

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 07:45 AM »
I think we have all lost gone thru this in one way or another....I know there are a few fish swimming around out there with fancy lip piercing due to line breaks or bad knots.

This spring I lost a nice Williams spoon on an even nicer trout. he hammered it hard and as I got him in, I watched my line go slack and the fish swim away with a really decent sized spoon still in his mouth...put it this way it was the spoon I use for ice fishing pike....I threw it on to attract a few larger fish...it worked but due to a quick tie knot I lost the lure and the fish will probably die

Hood

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:28 AM »
Yeah its tough, the titanium leaders are awesome bu will cost you. I have the the BOA no kink titanium in 20 lb, it stretches, and has the diameter of 4lb mono! Its awesome, you dont need to crimp and can just tie a BASIC clinch knot with 3-4 twists and it holds tight.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

fishinboy

• Team MI
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 08:33 PM »
Were the hooks barbless? If so the fish might still have a chance to throw them.
That's to bad but it happens sometimes, a good way to prevent that is to use a steel or titanium leader or even use 2 strands of powerpro together as a leader, if the fish nicks one the other should still hold.
Just a thought
WW
No, unfortunately they had barbs.  I do have some black steel leaders, but I don't ever really use them because I get less bites when using them.  Usually when I'm pike fishing, there are bass in the area.  So, I just use the power pro to get more strikes.  I'll have to check out the titanium leaders, they sound pretty sweet.  Also, thanks for the tip on using two strands of power pro.  Thats a really good idea. 

I figured that this had happened to others, too.  I guess it happens to even the most experienced fishermen sometimes.
Thanks for the replies.  Tight lines.
Ryan

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Yeah its tough, the titanium leaders are awesome bu will cost you. I have the the BOA no kink titanium in 20 lb, it stretches, and has the diameter of 4lb mono! Its awesome, you dont need to crimp and can just tie a BASIC clinch knot with 3-4 twists and it holds tight.

Where can you buy the Boa!!!!!! I cant get it anywhere and I am dieing to try it!!!!!!!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Where can you buy the Boa!!!!!! I cant get it anywhere and I am dieing to try it!!!!!!!

Yeah those boa sound like a neat type of leader :), how costly are they and how are they for visibility?

WW

keva

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2007, 08:30 PM »
I don't know about it dying. We have had pike snap our line before just to see them get the lure out and resume position. A friend had a pike snap his line twice and after a while it hit a third time(big pike!). He was using a steel lieter but it was snapping his 20+lb line. We watched it plow its face into the mud until the hook was out and then resume feeding position. They seem to try to drag the lure into things untill it catches on, though that does sound like a rough hooking you never know what could happen.

reubenpa

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I haven't bought it yet but here is an online store for the boa

http://www.malinco.com/fishing/boa.html
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Mr.Sodus

• just don't cheat; at whatever you do...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2007, 07:33 AM »

Saw this on the Fishing Conservation site, don't know how true it is...

Lost stainless steel hooks remain in fish and other wildlife and the environment for longer where they can kill again and again. Normal metal hooks rust quickly in a fish's stomach and more rapidly than stainless in the marine environment causing less damage to wildlife.
Get away from me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.