FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 5768 times)

carpcatcher

HELP
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 06:27 AM »
I'm going on a Pike fishing trip in a few week's with some friends. We're going to be in Canada, fishing on the St.Lawrence river. I've never really targeted pike before and thought maybe some of you guys could point me in the right direction. What type's of lures do I want to be throwing and what type of water do I want to target?
       Jim
Love 2 fish

Pikeguy

Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:09 AM »
Throw Bucktails, big soft plastics, big crankbaits, spoons lol. Most anything!  ;D Good luck Jim!

esox slayer

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:15 AM »
I'm going on a Pike fishing trip in a few week's with some friends. We're going to be in Canada, fishing on the St.Lawrence river. I've never really targeted pike before and thought maybe some of you guys could point me in the right direction. What type's of lures do I want to be throwing and what type of water do I want to target?
       Jim

What section of the St Lawrence??  I can point you toward some traditional pike hotspots if you narrow it down some.....

For lures..I've always had great luck with the big red and white daredevil spoons....and some of the 9 inch pike lures in perch pattern.....Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:40 AM »
You know the bass spinnerbaits?
Find some BIG ones in white, chartreuse, or red and fish weed edges...

And Esox does know the area.
He hooked me up earlier this summer.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Like esox slayer said red and white dare-devils work well.   Rattle traps produce a fair amount of pike too.    Ive had pretty good luck with a sunfish color on the rattle trap.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

carpcatcher

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Thank's guys, as for the exact location I've never been there so all I know is we cross the border at 1000 island's and go about 1 hour west from there. That sure makes me feel stupid with that answer :-[
      Jim
Love 2 fish

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2006, 02:15 PM »
Yea if you can make it move, theyll pretty much hit it. Try rapalas, stick minnows, and even live bait works really well.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Get a pail of husky jerks and large spinnerbaits. ;D

White and black spinnerbaits are bigtime, so bring a couple spares.

Rattle traps and Rattlin raps have caught me tons of pike too.

Don't forget steel leaders and a pair of needle nose pliers!!

Sorry, I cant help you with locations, I am 100% unfamiliar with this area.

Oh, I almost forgot. Trolling super shad raps is usually top of my list this time of year.

arthur

« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Think big this time of year. The biggest fish are caught now, plus bait is big now.

If you can find some musky-size bucktail spinnerbaits, use those. I throw 1.5oz models.

In-line spinners in the largest sizes and the Dardevle in R&W or 5o'D.

But don't limit yourself. I did really well with white chatterbaits two weeks ago.

My other favorites, all in large sizes: Rat-l-traps, Salmo crankbaits, Jigheads/Grubs, white jig/pig, etc.

Slipbobbers and large live bait can save the day if the bite is slow, especially if shore fishing.

Have fun up there...I'm dying to do the trip sometime.

Also read-up on handling/releasing pike. Avoid nets (ugh). Consider getting a Boga grip!!!

meadowpikeman

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Don't forget the buldogs!! and 2 or three mepps musky marabou's in sliver/black black chart etc.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Big Burk

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2006, 11:42 PM »
topwater are fun and very reliable try some buzzbaits, frogs and poppers by weeds early morning

MasterAngler

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:19 AM »
Don't forget the buldogs!! and 2 or three mepps musky marabou's in sliver/black black chart etc.

My choices as well if I could only pick a couple lures.   Good Luck.   8)
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

pike hound

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Where I live The classic pike stuff and big muskie lures don't produce so well. I have alot of luck with bass size spinnerbaits and rattletraps. Live bait works too. I would just try to match the forage and experiment. Good Luck!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Where I live The classic pike stuff and big muskie lures don't produce so well. I have alot of luck with bass size spinnerbaits and rattletraps. Live bait works too. I would just try to match the forage and experiment. Good Luck!

You betcha! Don't get your mind set on "BIG", bass sized offerings can be the way to go. I favor bigger cranks this time of year, but something like a 3/4 oz rattlin rap can be dynamite too. This is the reason I cant seem to fish northerns without dragging all of my tackle bags with. ;D

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:50 PM »
i was around alex bay three weeks ago and we killed them on spinnerbaits.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.