FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Colorado Pike Dormant In Winter? Why??  (Read 8185 times)

Cider

Re: Colorado Pike Dormant In Winter? Why??
« Reply #15 on: Jun 30, 2004, 03:18 PM »
This also shows the horrible attitude anglers and our wonderful DOW has about pike in this state. It's sad they can't appreciate pike and would rather catch stocker trout. In lakes mentioned, trout and pike coexist fine.

Tyler,

That is an unfortunate attitude to take.  Kind of snobbish!  Personally, being a trout fishermen, I can see why people would rather fish for trout over pike.  However, it takes a lot of fun out of fishing knowing that you are targeting something that was fresh from the hatchery a couple days before!  If given the choice, I would prefer trout over pike, but wild pike over stocked trout any day!  I hear your frustrations... hope you are able to figure them out and land a few this winter!  You have some pretty good advice coming from the guys here...  ;D

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2004, 11:26 AM »
Tyler,

That is an unfortunate attitude to take.  Kind of snobbish!  Personally, being a trout fishermen, I can see why people would rather fish for trout over pike.  However, it takes a lot of fun out of fishing knowing that you are targeting something that was fresh from the hatchery a couple days before! 

Plus, the 3 lakes he mentioned are all warm water fisheries, which definitely aren't ment for trout. But anyway, 8-10" trout are really boring anyway, which is the size they stock in the lakes.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Well I had better success this year ice fishing, at Crawford Reservoir. We landed 3 pike in two trips on small perch jigs, but we averaged 6 flags per day between three tip ups. The pike seemed to be on a small flat just off of a steep dropping shore line, a foot off the bottom in 12- 18 feet of water. We landed 2 or 3 pike each time on our tip ups too, had one bite us off and had others pick up the baits and drop them. Six inch long anchovies fished on quick strike rigs and stunned yellow perch in the 4" range worked good too. If we were allowed more tip ups, we probably could have landed 5 - 10 pike per day. Still nothing big, just ones around 24". We did hook several that thought our perch jigs looked tasty that were much bigger. Still lots of fun when we were catching 50 - 100 perch per day, with some in the 10 - 14" range, and a few slab crappie mixed in too. Waiting for a flag to pop up and then finally seeing a flag up is such a wonderful site. Then seeing the line peeling off the spool and feeling the fish surge as you pick up the line and set the hook. The runs, the head shakes. Man, tip up pike are a blast. I wish we could several tip ups each like in some states. What fun.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.