FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What kind of bait should you use?  (Read 6365 times)

jyoung

What kind of bait should you use?
« on: Jul 09, 2005, 02:12 PM »
Found this picture of a nice pike with another pike in it's mouth.
Awsome pic. How big do you think each fish is?
I'm going to say that the smaller fish is about 20" and the other fish high 40 inch class maybe 48" or 49"

Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: What kind of bait should you use?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2005, 02:26 PM »
That little fish isn't that little...22"

The big one, 53"

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Looking at the picture its from an ontario website isnt it?    That makes me think that the big one is probably 40 + inches for sure maybe closer to 50 (then again I could be wrong), it just looks like its got some shoulders on it.   
  the little one is 20-22 inches in my guessing
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Hood

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Yeah the little guy is around 20 and that big one is over 45, maybe even 50+, hard to tell but its a SLOB :flex:
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

AirManCam

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2005, 05:52 PM »
The picture kinda looks fake with the way the mouth is, but its still pretty cool, real or not. Also, I have seen other cases of a fish eating a fish so I believe it.
Iceshanty=AirManCam
MyhuntingForum=BigBuckTaker16

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2005, 07:01 PM »
That pike isn't fake, their mouths do that when they bite things.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2005, 12:08 AM »
That pike isn't fake, their mouths do that when they bite things.

Yep they do do that

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2005, 07:51 AM »
Nothing fake about that pic!!!...reminds me of trip afew years ago when we were waiting for the plane to pick us up.....one of the guests in my boat caught a northern of similar size and when he got it up to the boat....CHOMP!!!....just like the picture.....he actually had his buddy pull out the camcorder and took about 3-4 minutes of video.....he actually moved the fish up and down the sides of the boat....poor small pike had little to no scales left on it by this time......around a 17-18 incher....the big one????....likely around 40 inches....definitely not in the upper 40's....great shot too.....Grump

Chucker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:46 AM »
AD,
Tell them about the stringer up at Tigi & Larry's.....  ;)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2005, 10:58 PM »
Wow great photo. I have chatted with other fishermen that have stated they have had large pike hit smaller pike, walleye and perch. I even saw this action on Fishin Canada, the host caught a 2 lb pike and a 15 lber grabbed the wee guy and hung on until both were netted, then he let go. I myself have never had this happen but would be a suprise for sure. Makes you wonder about putting your hands or feet in the water while fishing eh? :o :)

WW

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2005, 06:27 PM »
AD,
Tell them about the stringer up at Tigi & Larry's.....  ;)

Ill try to tell it at least, correct me if I am wrong.   
    My Aunt and Uncle own a camp in upper Canada on one of the local lakes up there.   They go up there off and on each summer.   Last Summer my Mom and Dad joined them while I was up in Alaska.    Now my dad's fished for pike for more years than I have been alive and isn't one to stretch fish length or numbers, he never has had too, what he usually says is the truth.    I grew up fishing the St. Lawrence river in New York and we have landed our fair share of nice northerns and are pretty good at judging their size.     Okay so back to the story.     My parents and Aunt and Uncle were out fishing for a day and had a few small walleyes on a stringer, 3lbers maybe?    Well they landed another one and dad went to pull the stringer out from under the boat and he gave it a tug and it didn't budge, he gave it a pull and out from under the boat, holding onto one of the walleyes that was on the stringer was a pike that was 20 + pounds if they had been ready with a net he probably could have gotten it into the boat.    I don't really doubt this one at all, my mom and Aunt had each landed a 15 lb northern from that area, with pictures of proof, and were willing to bet there were bigger ones out there.      Sure wish I could have seen that fish.

reubenpa

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:46 PM »
One time when I was fishing with Grump I hooked a 5 lb pike.  I was using a lucky craft live pointer and was casting in 15 feet of water.  the 5 lber hit like a freight train and made a couple vicious jumps, which surprised me as I had never seen one jump like that. Then when it jumped I saw what looked like a swirl under it that looked like it was too much for that fish to creat and sure enough when it landed, there was a vicious strike and I felt some extreme fighting. My drag screamed for about 100 feet and I finally got it stopped.  I was using 30 lb braid and I couldn't stop this fish. After about a half hour I think it was, wasn't it Grump?, I got the fish within sight.  we coldn't believe our eyes that pike had to have been mid 50's  and was just hanging onto the 5 lber.  I continued the fight and Grump had the net ready but right before he could net it, the big fish jerked his head and the 5 lber was cut in half, and the monster swam away with half of my fish.  That was a day I couldn't forget.  Remember  that Grump?  ;)
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

MasterAngler

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2006, 08:47 PM »
I guide at a fly in trophy pike lake and this happens on a regular basis.  They'll hit small pike and the walleyes on the stringer for shore lunch, it sometimes makes me think about puttin a couple hooks into our shore lunch as it hangs off the side of the boat.  This summer a guy was even able to land a 41 incher that hit a small fish on his line, they do get off most of the time though.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Remember  that Grump?
..... ;D ;D          :P :P Yep!!...she was a biggun Rueben....think she got more than 2 1/2lbs though....Grump   :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.