FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: on board battery charger help  (Read 1791 times)

boblee

• BBBBBAAAAAAHHHHHH
on board battery charger help
« on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Can someone explain to me how an onboard battery charger works?  Do they actually work?  I'm tired of having to pull my batteries out and recharge them.  Thanks in advance, boblee

Drifter_016

Re: on board battery charger help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:56 PM »
They work the same as regular car battery chargers (the automatic kind) only they are built for marine enviroments and are available as 1, 2 or 3 battery chargers. Meaning they have the ability to charge 1, 2 or 3 batteries depending on the model. i.e. my boat has a starting battery and 2 trolling motor batteries so a 3 bank battery charger is needed to charge up all 3 batteries.
Because they are automatic they will stop charging the battery when it is fully charged.
I would buy a 10 amp model as they will charge properly over night, I think the 6 amp models are a little light and may not fully charge some of the larger group 27 batteries in an 8 hour period. While the 12 and 15 amp models will  charge faster I don't think the extra expense is worth it, atleast not for me.
You will not be sorry if you put one in. They are  money well spent!!   :D

Keith Walters

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008, 11:31 PM »
Onboard chargers are the way to go.  I have a three bank that puts out 10 amps per bank and love it.  Deep cycle batteries should be charged as soon as possible after use to get the longest battery life.  The onboard charger makes it easy to just plug in when I get home from the lake.  All three batteries are ready to go in the morning.  You will be happy if you get one and your batteries will last longer, too.

Keith Walters (Nebraska)

WANNABFISHIN

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:56 AM »
If I have a starter battery and then two batteries hooked together (not 24 volt) can i use just one 2 banks?  One for the starter and one for the other two or will it not charge quick enough??

TR19

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:54 AM »
They are THE ONLY way to go. I have a Min-Kota 4 bank that does all three trolling motor batteries & the cranking battery. With my first boat I had to hook up separate chargers for each battery or pull them out to charge them. Like everybody else said, put it in the garage, plug the extension cord in and walk away..... DONE !!!

khaaxma

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:10 AM »
I believe that if you use an electric trolling motor for effective stealth fishing an onboard charger is absolutely the best way to go. That was one of the first accessories I put on my boat when I had it rigged and it was worth every penny. If you install one on your boat you will not be disappointed!
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Drifter_016

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:10 AM »
If I have a starter battery and then two batteries hooked together (not 24 volt) can i use just one 2 banks?  One for the starter and one for the other two or will it not charge quick enough??

You need 1 bank for each battery.

Keith Walters

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2008, 05:09 PM »
If for some reason, you need to go with a two bank charger (they cost less), you could use the onboard charger to service your trolling motor batteries and charge the starting battery as needed with your portable battery charger.  Good luck.

Keith Walters (Nebraska)

HuntFishSled

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:27 AM »
So the only advantage to on-board chargers is convienence? I have a starter battery and and 2 trolling motor batteries. It isn't really that hard to get in the boat and hook up and plug in my portable charger each time.

I keep considering buying an on-board charger, but can't really justify the expense. Am I missing something?
Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Your not realy missing anything, but I just purchased one because when I take the boat camping this summer I also want to know at the end of the day I just plug it in and in the morning all three batteries will be fully charged.
It's convienence and peace of mind that I don't have to tend to the charger three times a night to get all the batteries charged.

HuntFishSled

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:42 AM »
Your not realy missing anything, but I just purchased one because when I take the boat camping this summer I also want to know at the end of the day I just plug it in and in the morning all three batteries will be fully charged.
It's convienence and peace of mind that I don't have to tend to the charger three times a night to get all the batteries charged.

Ok, thanks. I guess your right......a charger would make it easier. I was always thinking that they were some type of converter that charged the batteries while the motor was running. :-\
Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Ok, thanks. I guess your right......a charger would make it easier. I was always thinking that they were some type of converter that charged the batteries while the motor was running. :-\
Yes the outboard does have a charging system that charges the batterries while running.
But some times after a short run to the fishing area, I run the depth finder, radio, live well for the day without running the outboard.
So I like top off the starting battery as these all run that because the other two batteries are for the 24V trolling motor.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.