FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Change of Pace...TURKEYS!  (Read 8400 times)

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
Change of Pace...TURKEYS!
« on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:36 PM »
My dad, his buddy, and I took a trip to the black hills to try and kill some turkeys. We ended up getting it done but not after a lot more struggling then last year. Last year both me and my buddy were done by afternoon on opening day. We didn't have ANY turkeys down after opening day and about 3:00 me and my dad's friend put a stalk on 5 toms with the .223's ;) . We ended up killing 4 of them (limiting out!) Those ended up being the only birds of the trip despite numerous shots being fired. I, of course, only shot twice and killed 2 birds! Was quite an awesome spot and stalk "shoot 'em up" if I do say so myself!

(both spurs on my biggest bird were 15/16"...best spurs I've had yet)

Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

sgpitman

Re: Change of Pace...TURKEYS!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2011, 12:39 AM »
NICE! grats man. Looks like u had some fun.

gotabig1

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:52 AM »
Oh yeah! Nice birds! Are they Meriams?  Waiting for May 1 here in NY, then its on!!

Astros461

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:06 AM »
AWESOME!!  Look tasty even with the feathers!!!  LOL!!! ;D

ebour

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:21 AM »
those rifles you have don't look like normal hunting rifles. are they modified version? the one on the right looks a lot like an M14

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Congrats! I am jealous. Spent many seasons trying to get a Tom spot & stalk with my longbow, but finally gave in and started using my compound (NE tags get too expensive when you become a non-resident not to kill something). Hope to get out this weekend after one with my bow. Thanks for sharing!

POk3s

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Yes they are merriams.

And yes ebour, they are mini-14s. Mine just had opened sites and his was tricked out with his own airbrushing, colapsable stock, and red dot site.

Thanks boys. Sure was fun.

bbkyle35

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:57 PM »
I tried turkey hunting once. Easiest hunt I've ever had. Shot a tom with an 8" beard at about 20ft with a pistol. All I had to do was walk up behind a hay stack and peek around it.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

swillerjig

• Slob Hoy!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Great birds, In ny you can't use rifles and can only hunt till noon.  Wish I could use a rifle because I'd have a lot more birds under my belt ;D ;D  did you weigh them they look preety big!!  Great job
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life.

POk3s

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:23 PM »
Ya kyle, last year me and my buddy were tagged out with our 2 birds each by 4:00 opening day. This year was way different. Birds were pretty quiet since there was still so much snow and cold weather...and we couldn't find many on public land.

swillerjig, my biggest one (which was the biggest of all 4) was 22 lbs 7 oz if I remember correctly. My other one was 19 lbs something. So not overly huge.

WYeyes

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I tried turkey hunting once. Easiest hunt I've ever had. Shot a tom with an 8" beard at about 20ft with a pistol. All I had to do was walk up behind a hay stack and peek around it.

Results of Kyle's 10 minute turkey hunt

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:32 AM »

Results of Kyle's 10 minute turkey hunt

Congrats. Like with many things, depending on the conditions, sometimes you can make things as easy or difficult as you want to make them.

After trying with my longbow for many seasons, here's one I got spot & stalk with my compound. Wasn't a ten minute hunt by any means, lol.

POk3s

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Here we go! Let's get some more bird pics.

I wouldn't mind finding a place to hunt turkeys by lander or even Casper. Black hills is sooooooo far away for just a little 'ol bird.  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.