FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 43,000 Fall Walleyes Planted in several lakes.  (Read 4210 times)

taxid

Re: 43,000 Fall Walleyes Planted in several lakes.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:52 PM »
I'm guessing that Resort owner would have been Sam.  He sure was a good walleye fisherman, from what I remember.

Did any of you guys fish the pond to the north above the beaver dam that wasn't far from the housing? My dad, my sister and I carried a boat upstream above the dam to the pond, and anchored over the deepest water in the center of the pond and slammed the bluegills.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Daybreak

« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:05 AM »
Did any of you guys fish the pond to the north above the beaver dam that wasn't far from the housing? My dad, my sister and I carried a boat upstream above the dam to the pond, and anchored over the deepest water in the center of the pond and slammed the bluegills.
Nope, never did that.  I was only there 3 times.  Twice around Labor day and once in the spring when they first opened up. 
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Yes, it was Sam! When he first bought resort he fished from a canoe. First year I was there I caught a ton of bass on surface, Hotntot and spinners. He asked me the day I was leaving what I was using for bait. I tossed him a pastic bag full of spinners, both double and single and told him to take a few and try them. Being Sam he replied, "Oh, no I couldn't do that!" I said, "Ok, go buy your own!" :laugh: The next summer he informed me, "Those spinners really work!" He was quite a guy. We fished together a lot at night and caught LOTS ! He learned those lakes well and taught me where to fish away from the bank! Great guy!
I never fished the beaver dam!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Walleyefish31

« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2021, 05:09 PM »
I thought they had quit stocking in bass because they weren't growing. That's why it had a lower size limit. Seems like a waste
This is the first year Indiana’s hatcheries has reared and mass produced advanced walleye fingerlings.
To my knowledge, Bass always got stocked with fry sized fish. This is the first year Bass has been stocked with advanced walleye fingerlings! This lake could potentially be a great fishery for years to come……

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2021, 06:39 PM »
This is the first year Indiana’s hatcheries has reared and mass produced advanced walleye fingerlings.
To my knowledge, Bass always got stocked with fry sized fish. This is the first year Bass has been stocked with advanced walleye fingerlings! This lake could potentially be a great fishery for years to come……

Makes sense. Better survival planting larger walleye fingerlings.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2021, 09:53 PM »
I spoke to the guy in charge of Bass Lake, think his name was Tom Bakula if memory serves me correctly. He told me they have been stocking fall fingerlings now for about 5 years. 2 years ago, they also put in many gills, to aid in the recovery of the lake. Think he is the marine biologist for that area. They did stock over a million fry in past years. Most got eaten or died. With the larger fish the mortality rate is much better.

abishop

« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2021, 02:32 PM »
and the dnr has known that for decades.  i cant believe they would still stock fry.  where is a slap on the forehead emoji? lol 

if its true they are now raising and releasing larger stockers then i would expect the eye fishing to see a boost in coming years.

stocking gills seems futile to me given their reproduction capabilities.  has to be some reason they cant survive there?  weed kills maybe? cant have both ways. lol
Haven't stocked fry ever since they finally realized fry was a waste. Still haven't been able to see any difference yet. Maybe a couple more years.

Walleyefish31

« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2021, 04:03 PM »
and the dnr has known that for decades.  i cant believe they would still stock fry.  where is a slap on the forehead emoji? lol 

if its true they are now raising and releasing larger stockers then i would expect the eye fishing to see a boost in coming years.

stocking gills seems futile to me given their reproduction capabilities.  has to be some reason they cant survive there?  weed kills maybe? cant have both ways. lol
Fry have historically done better in low visibility bodies of water across the state. Bass lake has had good years and bad years with survival based on a lot of factors. In the future, the state will continue these stocking efforts and raising survival %. With Bass being 1300 acres it’s a lot of fish to produce at 5-7 inches. I believe the state stocks at 10/per acre with advanced fingerlings.

Walleyefish31

« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:47 PM »
so what are the factors that lead to the gill die off?  and the factors that wont let eyes grow?  seems pointless to just keep try something that doesnt work.
Normally, walleye fry are stocked in middle of lake to avoid immediate predation from fish and they can still feed on zooplankton. However, weather plays a critical role in survival…..warmer than average weather puts stress on fish, strong winds blowing fry in shallower causing predation. Fry are really limited could be really good or really poor.

abishop

« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2021, 06:51 PM »
so what are the factors that lead to the gill die off?  and the factors that wont let eyes grow?  seems pointless to just keep try something that doesnt work.
I don't think there was a gill die off. Thought they were added to do something with weeds? Or the creel findings were short on the gills? Can't remember the reasoning. I was told but forgot.

bigr

« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2021, 05:54 AM »
Seems to me to biggest factor in fish numbers always went hand in hand with the weeds spraying. Many years ago the state never sprayed the entire lake and numbers of all species were much better. Is the lake still being sprayed down so no weeds can grow?

fishinator

« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2021, 11:59 AM »
i dont fish it, so i had to look from space.  looks mostly void of weeds with clear water.  if this is true, it would be futile to expect a good fish population. like i said before you cant have fish without cover.  weeds are part of lakes.  there is way too much spraying in this state.   kinda explains what happened to the gills, if this is the case, dont it?  yet they think just put more in?  but im no biologist so its just my opinion.

dumping vast schools of fry in the middle of summer in middle of a lake makes me think one thing.  those big gills out there sure had a feast. lol  dont seem like they are thinking on it hard enough. :-\
it's anything but clear. Normally a mud pit with less than a foot of visibility

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.