FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mississinewa  (Read 5488 times)

bherr24

Mississinewa
« on: Mar 23, 2022, 11:33 AM »
Hit mississinewa yesterday before the rain from the bank..fished in the area of red bridge. Very muddy water but found nice crappie cruising along some cliff walls about 2 to 3 feet down. Left there with 15 nice ones then stopped up at slocum on the way home. Water was cleaner there and i put 5 more good ones in the bucket before the rain hit. Black/chart and glow green were colors i used. Several fish in the 11 to 12 inch range. Going to try to head back over today about 4..lake is on the rise again so we will see how it goes. Hope the rain holds off.

chicagill34

Re: Mississinewa
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2022, 01:29 PM »
Good Job!!  Yes this rain won't help the resi's at all!!

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2022, 03:17 PM »
The rain will slow things down alittle and your search will need to take you upstream most likely. High water will really get things going quickly. I fished up stream about a mile east off 13 bridge and picked up a few white bass and a couple black crappie. They are always to first to show.

bherr24

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Water was up about 2 feet from yesterday and even muddier then before. I managed to catch one 11 inch crappie. I didnt stay long. Prolly be a few days before i try again.

bherr24

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2022, 10:53 PM »
Fished the Missy on Monday evening and again tonight. Same area north of red bridge.  Caught quite a few monday in the mud but no big ones. Went back tonight and only managed 3. Not sure if they have left the area to head upstream or if the cold nights just have them tight lipped.  Seems awfully cold for them to be upriver but who knows. Going to search for them again either tomorrow morning or sunday.

bigr

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2022, 05:26 AM »
Crappie and white bass are on the move up the river from the resi. Fished last evening just alittle ways upstream from the 13 hwy bridge and caught fish on nearly every cast. Started out with mostly white bass but by the last hr before dark the crappie showed up and the numbers change to mostly crappie. If the rain holds off the crappie will make it as far as the flats area by weekend is my guess. If you like white bass this is the time. River is full all the way to reenactment area near Jalapa. A canoe or kayak  would be the way to go. The closest ramp to the head water, Pearson mill is closed but a canoe or yak would still be easy to put in  there and an easy paddle upstream fishing as you go will put fish on your stringer. Good luck and have fun.

techja

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2022, 07:10 AM »
I was beginning to think that the river may have been too low for the crappie to move upstream. Thanks for the update, I have been walking the banks upstream of 13 for the last 7-10 days catching only a couple of fish each outing.

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2022, 08:16 AM »
Levels looked ok to me sunday it was more the temps i was worried about. Them nights in the 20s and low 30s didnt help anything. I fished just upstream from 13 sunday and caught some white bass but no crappie. Last night i managed half a dozen big black crappies below the spillway. Happy to see bigr report that they are on the move upriver tho. Hopefully this rain dont get too bad.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2022, 11:49 AM »
As of noon today the rains haven't been to bad. I don't think we'll see much change in conditions from yesturday. What we have gotten likely will only help the run. I'll try to keep an eye on things and report for those interested. The Sally should be seeing about the same start since both tend to follow same pattern each year. I would be looking around the lost bridge east ramp to the mt edna ramp for the crappie and the whites should already in full run mode all the way to 124 bridge. 

bherr24

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2022, 09:57 AM »
I checked one of my favorite spots east of 13 yesterday. 2 of my buddies got there before me and informed me the fish were there. Caught several crappie and white bass. A lot of smaller crappie with some keepers mixed in. We all 3 left with nice messes of crappie. White bass bite was almost every cast at times especially if you casted in certain spots.

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2022, 01:31 PM »
I fished just west of the bridge and had same results.

bherr24

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2022, 05:50 PM »
My buddy went back this evening and only got 2 crappie and no white bass. Further up the river or did they drop back toward lake with the cooler temps? I wont be able to get out till saturday and weather looks similar to today only colder so trying to figure out where to start.

bigr

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2022, 05:19 AM »
My guess the fish are in a holding pattern with this weather. They won't move up much until we get some more warmth or more rain to bring water levels up. I will be trying around the sommerset area just working the main channel. The rain were getting this morning might get the water moving alittle faster. Don't think it will muddy up much just run faster. As soon as the sun comes back out the fish will take off again.

bherr24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Well i hit the same spot today little east of 13. Couldnt buy a bite first half hour or so and nearly left. Finally got a small white bass and then a small crappie so stuck with it. Bite was slow all day but the ones i caught were nice. I ended up keeping 13 and all but 2 were big black crappies. Only had 2 whites. Deffinitely had to work at it today. Could not catch them casting and reteieving only a bobber jig setup and a grey/black with sparkle is the only color they would hit. The wind got bad and was difficult to detect bites as they were barely hitting. Finally it shut off all together around 6 and i left. My sons junior high baseball season starts tomorrow so my time will be limited but im hoping mabe wecnesday i can get out again. Otherwise it will be next weekend.

bigr

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2022, 05:33 AM »
Fished the missy a couple miles upstream from 13 bridge and found lots of white bass and ended up figuring the crappie out. I was fishing way to deep. After having a fish smack my bobber and seeing alot of flipping going on decided to shallow up to about a foot deep and that was the ticket. Lots of very nice eating size black crappie. Next trip on the missy will be in the hogs back or flats area. Water level at this time is just right for fish to stage in those spots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.