MFF US Northeast > Virginia

Chincoteague fishing

(1/1)

ryanethan:
Hi all.........my family every year rents a house on Chincoteague the first year of August.  We have a 14 foot boat which we use on the bay.  We have a dock on assateague channel which the kids fish off of.   I am wondering if anyone fishes there this time of year or has a place to aim me to get information on how the fishing is.    Anything would be greatly appreciated.   thanks in advance........  David

JigJigThump:
David,
It has been quite a few years since I fished Chincoteague but am sure that some patterns we used are still successful.  Try lauching at Capt. Bob's and fishng the channel right out from the marina.  The Queensound Bridge (out and to the right from Capt Bob's) can be good at times.  Most typically a place called Four Mouths I think it was often had some action (go left out of Capt Bob's toward inlet).

Basically keep in mind that the best bite is generally on a moving tide and best of all when wind and tide work together.  Am sure that if you stop in at Capt Bob's to get some bait and launch that they can fill you in on the latest.  The standard squid/minnow combination is probably as good as it gets for bait (unless you want to vertical jig for them which we used to do with lead head jigs but you need a trolling motor to do this)

Good Luck,
JJT

Enjoy those days on the water but take good care of it too because we're just borrowing it from our kids

Riverjet:
Going neat week for a week. Will let you know fishing report when i get back.

Riverjet:
Well here is the report.  Queen sound lots of throw back fluke. Just two keepers both about three pounds. Chinco point has all the croakers you could want also along assateaque were tons of croakers. If you like croakers you could really fill up on thease some being really good size. Went out to blackfish reef where they dumped the subway cars about 11 miles out hooked up a very big shark but it chewed right thru my wire leader.  That was about it for there which surprised me. Fished as far as 22 miles out with similar results. Good news is if you have a boat you are happy with going out about 44 miles they are catching alot of Bluefin and yellowtail tuna. Up to 80lbs. This is a little to far for my boat i usually don't go past 25 miles offshore. All in all i caught alot of fish during the week but the size could have been alot better. Need any other info let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version