FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leadcore Fishing  (Read 2562 times)

Leadcore Fishing
« on: Aug 12, 2010, 12:38 PM »
I spent last week at Moosehead.  I didn't fish as much as I had hoped, but I got out some.  I landed a couple decent salmon.  I'm hoping to get some advice for next time I go.

I had quit a few hook ups.  The fish would hit and take line.  I'd tighten the line, attempt to set the hook and keep tension while I reeled it in.  They would apear hooked since they fought back but about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the boat they would spit the hook.  I was fishing between 4 - 7 colors.  Without witnessing my performance any suggestions on what I was doing wrong?

Thanks! 

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
Re: Leadcore Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010, 12:47 PM »

Hi 207

Are you using treble hooks?
 I find that Salmon or Trout can get leverage with a treble hook and spit the hook.
 For myself personally I find using a single sharp hook holds better.
 Some brand new hooks aren't sharp enough for me and I bought a Berkley battery
powered hook sharpener that works great and sharpens fast.

Bob

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:07 PM »
somewhere after 4 colors leadcore takes on a belly in the line, its not straight from rod tip to lure. also if your using the little trebles on db's, theres alot of those out there with an overbend on the hook, point aims toward the eye, either replace with the single barb(thats what i would recommend, about a size 4) or bend the trebles outward with pliers. i never fish past 4 or 5 colors lead, i change to downriggers or wire line when i need to go deeper which is actually pretty rare for me fishing salmon

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  I was fishing DB's and Mooselooks.  Both had treble hooks.  I'll replace with single and make sure they're sharp.

I was just a little dissapointed since a couple times they felt like decent fish on.  Then of course I put the rod down looked around at the empty lake and mountains and was calm again.

I was thinking it might have something to do with having so much line out.  I tried fishing 3 - 4 colors, but couldn't get anything to hit.

I'll try replacing the hooks and sharpening.  Maybe I should also invest in down riggers.   

Thanks

THREECAR

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2010, 04:03 PM »
May I ask what speed you were trolling ? And what you were using for a rod ?

I have been chasing lake trout the last several weekends, and have been running 8-9 colors each time out. I have been fortunate in that most of the fish on have ended up boatside. I'm running home made bait rigs with gamakatsu hooks. The rear hook is a size 8 wide gap treble.

I have been replacing my trolling spoon hooks with Gamakatsu wide gap trebles and have been very happy with them. I'm not a big fan of the standard hooks that come on the DB's. As you already know, sharp hooks are incredibly important.  8)
Easterly still sucks

vector06

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2010, 06:19 PM »
  The salmon and touge we landed today were 5-6 colors down. I to have been wanting to change the hooks on my DBs to a single. Should I replace them with a size 6 "salmon" hook. Any brand reccomendations? TIA and TIA for letting me borrow your thread........

fishless12

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Doesn't really apply to you but my philosophy for bait VS. lures is this:
When trolling Hardware, of course change the hooks to something decent, and set the drag so the fish won't break the line, but will be met with a good bit of resistance when it hits, this kind of sets the hook, as he wont hold on to metal.

When trolling bait I usually ride on the bait clicker, if it's not strong enough, then I use the minimum amount of drag because I do want the fish to take the boat for a bit before I set the hook, keep in mind the ratio of hook size to bait size, bigger the bait, longer you wait!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2010, 06:48 AM »
THREECAR,
I was worried I might be trolling to fast.  My boat doesn't like to go really slow.  I was anywhere between 1.8kts - 2.5kts.  Depended on if I was going with or against the wind.  The rods are generic 6ft medium action.  I know the set ups I've seen at the stores are longer.  I had these rods in stock and use them for stripers.

Fishless12,
I did have the drag set pretty weak.  Sounds like I might want to tighten that up some and let the fish hook itself when it hits.

Thanks for all the advise everyone.  I'll put it to use.  I probably won't be going back to Moosehead this year, but I'll definitely hit Sebago. 

THREECAR

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2010, 07:18 AM »
THREECAR,
I was worried I might be trolling to fast.  My boat doesn't like to go really slow.  I was anywhere between 1.8kts - 2.5kts.  Depended on if I was going with or against the wind.  The rods are generic 6ft medium action.  I know the set ups I've seen at the stores are longer. 

I'd say your speed is pretty near perfect. At 2.5, with quality (sharp) hooks, you may not need to "set the hook" at all. I don't on my boat. The fish usually set the hook themselves on the initial strike (like Fishless12 mentioned).
One mistake I see a lot with people new to trolling is they tend to run too heavy a rod. That, along with a over-aggressive hook set, can tear the entry point of the hook in the fishes mouth. If that fish gets any slack in the line the hook can pull out. A softer rod can cushion the fight and keep the hook where it belongs, and you will lose less fish. That's been my experience anyhow  ;D.
Hope this helps and keep us posted on your outings.  8)
Easterly still sucks

lavaman

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2010, 07:34 AM »
good post. last week was my first time trolling for salmon and we missed 3 out of 5 but i can relate to everything your talking about. i have to make some adjustments myself but it sounds like i was doing the right things. i like the hook ideas and i know i got to go lighter on the rod and line. used too heavy a rod and 45lb test lead line but i had a 6lb floro leader. want to switch to 18lb with a different rod/reel setup. going to sebago for labor day w/e to try again. any suggestions.

sorry if i hijacked the post.
it really caught my interest

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2010, 02:55 PM »
THREECAR,
Thanks for the help.  Before I go again I think I'll bite the bullet and go get more suitable rods.  I'm pretty sure they still have some at Beans.  They were selling the rod, reel, leadcore combos earlier this year.  The rods were yellow in color and I've seen them in a number of pictures posted by people on this site.

Lavaman,

No problem.  I'm just trying to learn form others as you are.  Please ask any questions you want.  It's only going to help me too. 

The Rusty Crab

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2010, 09:24 AM »
owner hooks are the sharpest, they will hook themselves and watch out they will stick you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.