FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Moosehead  (Read 2212 times)

Moosehead
« on: Jul 30, 2013, 07:47 AM »
As you can see I don't post very often, but I do enjoy fishing.  Next week heading up to Moosehead for our annual family vacation.  I bring the boat and we rent a camp in Tomhegan Cove.  I fish the usual areas in that section of the lake using lead core and mooselook's, DB's etc...  The big difference is this year my 3 yo is eager to go fishing with me so I'd really like to get her on a fish.  So the question, any advice?  Anyone been there lately and can provide any tips on lure color, depth, speed?

I'll also have the brook fishing rods and will bring those with us when we go for rides looking for game.  Any suggestions on local brooks or ponds where I might be able to get her on fish?  I usually prefer bushwacking to spots, but with her something with easy access would be best.  I'm not asking for secret spots and I do have a gazatteer and will be looking that over, I'm just looking for some tips if anyone has any.  Thanks in advance.     

tphin

Re: Moosehead
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2013, 04:10 PM »
If u have access to a canoe I would try prong pond

phatptrck1

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2013, 05:34 PM »
any stream up there, worm or night crawler. you'll catch fish.
Some do, some don't. I might.

TroyTMG

• "polartippah" on the Shanty
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2013, 07:05 PM »
If u have access to a canoe I would try prong pond
That's a 70 mile round trip from where he is staying.

deerhunter

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2013, 07:19 PM »
fitzgerald pond for trout.its closer.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  We'll definitely hit some of the streams when we go for drives.  She's getting excited and wants to catch a fish with Dada that we can have for dinner.  Can't wait!

Nor Easter

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Be careful where you fish on any of Moosehead's tribs in that area. Some are no fishing from the first bridge to the mouth of the brook at the junction with the lake. So one side of the bridge is open, the other is not and last I recall, they weren't marked. There's some nursery and spawning areas they are trying to protect. Read the rules and know which stream you are at. Sometimes that's not so easy to tell.

Good luck to your daughter. Hope she catches the biggest one and shows up her dad...  :D

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Good call on the knowing the regs.  I know first hand how hard it can be to know exactly where you are in that area.  What you see around you doesn't usually match up with what the gazatteer shows.  If I fish any moosehead tribs it will probably be the moose river, but further up where the Demo Rd corsses.  I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that's open. 

saltyshores

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2013, 02:12 PM »
You'll probably be gone from Moosehead by August 16, but that is the date when all brook, stream, and river fishing changes to artificial lures only through September 30/

good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.