FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513113 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4440 on: Sep 07, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Ahh..they gotta eat too.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #4441 on: Sep 07, 2021, 05:44 PM »
Harvest time, wife has been busy with the peppers and tomatoes, she freezes some peppers "as is" and pulls them out over winter as needed. She's also making green salsa now. Good stuff.   

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4442 on: Sep 18, 2021, 05:31 AM »
Took my electric fence down yesterday.   
Some cherry tomatoes , one big tomatoe plant, some  peppers and beets left…
The deer can have the rest…
Was a good harvest..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

tomturkey

« Reply #4443 on: Sep 18, 2021, 06:10 AM »
Raq

If you do not have any fig trees you are missing some great eating. I finally caught up with a friend in Muskegon that I had not seen in years. His small yard is full of fig trees. He was checking the ripeness of the figs on them as I pulled up. when we got inside he cut up a few for me. He has two varieties. One you can eat the whole thing. On the other one, the skin on it is too hard to chew. They both were delicious. He had some out of his dehydrator that you could see the sugar in them.

Are you using the low two-line electric fence to keep the deer out? I saw where the deer were jumping one in a couple of spots to get into an apple orchard. They are not getting many apples to eat as there are not enough apples in the big orchard to warrant picking them.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4444 on: Sep 18, 2021, 06:22 AM »
Tom my altitude and climate is way different than Muskegon.  They don’t survive around here..  I miss the pawpaws my buddies parents had in there yard way back then.. And yes they lived in PawPaw .. 
 Yes the fence works well.  Never saw them in there.
 And our apple crops are crazy good this year.  There big and all over the place..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4445 on: Sep 18, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Just looked at my last years calendar which I always write down the temperature and we had our first frost on September 19th which is tomorrow..
 And 30* that morning and the next two…

tomturkey

« Reply #4446 on: Sep 19, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Raq
46* this morning so no frost yet

Don't be surprised if you see Peterson Farms trucks in NY state picking up apples. They have one of the biggest processing plants in the country north of Shelby. They are the ones that developed the apple slices for Mcdonald's restaurants, so they have to have apples.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4447 on: Sep 19, 2021, 10:43 AM »
Stopped at the farm stand where I get my seed garlic.

A quart of nice large cloves…$11.00
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #4448 on: Sep 19, 2021, 01:02 PM »
Raq
46* this morning so no frost yet

Don't be surprised if you see Peterson Farms trucks in NY state picking up apples. They have one of the biggest processing plants in the country north of Shelby. They are the ones that developed the apple slices for Mcdonald's restaurants, so they have to have apples.

Highly doubt they will be taking any of our apples here I'm Wayne County NY. Most farmers have a contract with Mott's

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4449 on: Sep 22, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Was putting up beans today and went out to pick …..in the pouring rain…. That rotten rodent (aka bunny) had half my plants down to the stumps. That was the end. I picked the beans and pulled the plants.  Got another couple gallons of beans .

Anyway, next season it’s going to be a war on those rodents. Time to ready the beds for garlic.

fishinator

« Reply #4450 on: Sep 22, 2021, 02:18 PM »
I gave up fighting rabbits,  they get their own green beans now

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4451 on: Sep 22, 2021, 02:26 PM »
Didn’t eat many beans though. Just the leaves. Liked my wax beans best….Silly wabbit!

It got into the garden when it rip was really small. About 5” or so. Just managed to find its way in and out. I have chicken wire 2’ all around the garden and the stinker still found a hole. I’ll renew the battle next year.

We still have plenty for the two of us.

taxid

« Reply #4452 on: Sep 26, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I'm downsizing next year to just tomatoes (fewer plants), peppers (also fewer plants), strawberries, and lettuce. No more sweet corn as it's dirt cheap here in Indiana, and not worth the trouble with the high winds we get. I spent a small fortune on furring strips to keep it upright not to mention the time involved.

My problem is I have to do all the work from planting to watering to harvesting, and then some still goes to waste, and I give a lot of it away.

My parents that live on my property are no longer able to do anything due to health issues, and my wife can't due to severe arthritis.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4453 on: Sep 26, 2021, 09:06 AM »
Another couple weeks and I’ll clean out all the gardens . I usually plant my garlic when I’m picking up leaves in the yard. I have a bagger and the mower does a good job mulching up the leaves. I use that as a mulch cover for the garlic. Last years composted leaves get mixed into the soil. Not much goes to waste.

Still getting tomatoes which is nice.but they’re dying off. Had more than enough fresh veggies for my Bride and I with extra to share.

Been a good year.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4454 on: Sep 26, 2021, 12:32 PM »
Well, I didn’t wait. Cleaned out everything but the last tomatoes.guess I’ll amend the beds with compost the next cool day. I made a sifter to collect just the fine stuff. It’s a bit of a workout to do 5 beds worth.

Good exercise though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.