FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 342425 times)

62 & Done

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #1680 on: Sep 03, 2021, 04:47 PM »
  I went squirrel hunting this morning for about 10 minutes.  Any one who wants to hunt deer in September, go ahead !! Feed all the bugs so they're happy when I get there in October  ( even then they can be a pain on a warm one)

bbfrogger

« Reply #1681 on: Sep 03, 2021, 06:18 PM »
The mosquito's have been nasty by me the last week or so and thats not even going in the woods so I can just imagine......

gotagetm

« Reply #1682 on: Sep 04, 2021, 03:04 PM »

Just shot the old girl( my ruger) haven't hunted in over a year cause had broken neck fixed last year and was hard to shoot gun or bow ...but ole girl is dead on and chasing squirrels in morning! Can't wait !!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1683 on: Sep 04, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Nothing I liked better than hunting squirrels. Have my faithful Marlin 69A and my Savage 20ga. Side by side. I always liked late winter after deer this season was over. Give me a warm winter day and a 22 and I’m happy. Haven’t done it in years but, I was thinking that since I have a lifetime sportsman license I might just venture out this winter.

Squirrel stew and fly tying materials…..both really good.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1684 on: Sep 04, 2021, 04:00 PM »
nice  rifle  i  have my  remington target master  single shot i  got used  at 12 years old  paid  for it  by cleaning my dads  barber shop and shinning shoes lol....the  gun dealler  a old man then  ex  fireman in fulton ,floyd stanton  guns let me lay it away all  summer as i paid  it  off  i look back  and  what a  great time to be a kid .....my biggest worry  was   getting   more  22's  and   worms  for  fishing  life  was  good
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

gotagetm

« Reply #1685 on: Sep 04, 2021, 05:00 PM »
I also have a Stevens side by side 410 and a Savage 22/20guage over under all us boys grew up using starting with oldest brother who it just about 70 awesome guns many many enjoyable nights after school checking traps and hunting!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1686 on: Sep 04, 2021, 05:28 PM »
I had a Savage 22 mag 20 ga for a long time. Had it bored and choke tubes put in it. Loved that little single shot. Took  a lot of chucks and small game with it.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

scout57

« Reply #1687 on: Sep 04, 2021, 06:07 PM »
it's a dumb idea and i'll tell you why...you can't see well leaves  haven't  fallen, ticks are at the highest level of the year and  your going to educate every deer in the woods and totally screw bow season up....and  you know  how many  40 lb  deer will be  shot????  another great move  by the state of  new york without  considering talking to  the hunters ..... sorry this  is  stupid  ....
I'm with you Trap........Does are still nursing and the gaddam bandits WILL shoot that nice buck if given the chance....just sayin

greensider

« Reply #1688 on: Sep 04, 2021, 07:02 PM »
I disagree on a couple things ticks are not at highest levels of season that is spring and fall summer is a slower time for them I rarely get a tick on me in summer and i am in thick stuff all year also people will shoot fawns during any open season and have a legal right to do so if they have the tags the paid for i do not but do not question any legal deer someone else takes legally sorry jmo

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1689 on: Sep 05, 2021, 05:52 AM »
greensider 

Adult ticks, which are approximately the size of sesame seeds, are most active from March to mid-May and from mid-August to November. Both nymphs and adults can transmit Lyme disease. Ticks can be active any time the temperature is above freezing

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+time+of+year+are+ticks+most+active&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS911US911&oq=what+time+of+year+are++ticks+most+active&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0i512j0i22i30l4j0i390l3.15506j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

no one is  questoning a "legally taken deer"  fact  deer  fawns nurse  between  2 to 3 months   early  set.  some fawns  will still be nursing ......they  shoot  the  de the fawn  has  no where t nurse ...and  yes  some  bucks  will be  shoot many n accident because   hunters won't be able to see horns....
the truth all of this is simply opinions ...the great state of New York made it's decision without even asking the  general hunting public......that is really the scary part ,and everyone should be  upset about
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

jperch

« Reply #1690 on: Sep 05, 2021, 06:27 AM »
I think some fawns nurse well into archery season, even gun season because I have seen it.  I have also seen mom kick her fawns away when they tried to nurse, probably telling them to find their own dinner.  I hunt 3 different units, only one is allowing the early hunt, "the farm" in 8F.  It's overrun with deer.  The DEC gives out more permits for this area than the public wants.  The "problem", from the DEC point of view, is that their management objectives are not being met with DMP, DMAP permits.  Part of this is due to the fact that most of this land is private with a lot of agriculture.  By the way Trap, the DEC did seek public input, there was the usual public comment period that was pretty widely publicized.  I received several emails from DEC asking my input, which I gave.  The comment period closed sometime in early August, I believe.  I don't know if DEC made the results of the survey public.  I doubt I will hunt the early period, there is work and I don't much like the heat and skeeters.  We always try to put 2 or 3 adult deer in the freezer and don't care much about antlers.  By the way, I wonder if some does are taken early if that will make the rut more active as bucks may have to look harder for a date.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1691 on: Sep 05, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Um theres more state land in 8f than you can shake a stick at..

jperch

« Reply #1692 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:32 AM »
Probably so, I'm only familiar with my area of 8F near Lake O.  It is incredible deer habitat, they have everything they need.  There is plenty of food, apple orchards and row crops.  Ample forested areas and swampy thick briar patches that make ideal escape cover.  I used to travel south of Rochester, Naples area to hunt with family.  I gave up hunting during gun season on state land because it was unpleasant with the deer drives going on.  I know the sound of deer slugs whistling over my head.  I still archery hunt with my family there.  But the truth of the matter is there are more and bigger deer on our farm than where my family hunts.  I think those of us who live in NY are blessed with the opportunities we have for hunting and fishing.  The deer hunting is better now than it was when I was a kid, that is for sure.

greensider

« Reply #1693 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:33 AM »
They do not listen to us about anything why would they listen when they already decided before announcing it lol

62 & Done

« Reply #1694 on: Sep 05, 2021, 02:35 PM »

Just shot the old girl( my ruger) haven't hunted in over a year cause had broken neck fixed last year and was hard to shoot gun or bow ...but ole girl is dead on and chasing squirrels in morning! Can't wait !!!
[
   I hope you have a good time in the squirrel woods and you injuries don't keep you from doing what you enjoy. I myself have gone through a recovery period lately and it was really tough for a while. I pushed myself to the limit and got it done.  Have patience. I'm still on the mend and it does get a little better as time goes on.uote]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.