FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Our 50th Anniversary  (Read 6534 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Our 50th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: Mar 25, 2021, 05:32 PM »
Have gloves ever crossed your mind?

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2021, 04:59 AM »
I do sometimes.. ::)
 But they just get wet and the soil sticks to them or gets inside..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Did a ring for my sons girlfriend. Purple Heart.

Have a bit more tooling and cores coming this week. Tooling will improve the process and accuracy.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #33 on: Mar 28, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Looks great. Are the cores a metal backer or is it just a blank for you to turn the ring?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Mar 28, 2021, 05:23 PM »
The cores come in different styles for different applications. The ones I’m using are flat exterior surface and smoothed and rounded inside

The outside surface can be made from anything stable like exotics, Burl, acrylic...the materials list isn’t limited.

The cores come in stainless, titanium, ceramic and probably some other stuff like copper and brass. I’ve only made 3 of these and the results get way better each time.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Mar 28, 2021, 06:51 PM »
Thanks. I’ll pass on the tranny fluid.

Rg

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #36 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:07 PM »
Thanks for the info rg. I think I need to dig out my grandfather's lathe and start messing around a bit.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:46 PM »
You can get parts and materials from Craft supplies.com (aka, woodturnerscatalog.com) nice people. Fast shipping (you pay for shipping) there’s other suppliers but I’ve been dealing with them for a long time. Never disappointed.

It’s pretty fussy work to get the wooden exterior to fit the core properly. I tried making several specialty tools to no avail. Very hard to get a perfectly sized, perfectly straight inside surface on the wood blank by hand. So, I ordered a boring bar and cutters for my lathe.

Haven’t even made the wedding bands I set out to produce and I have several orders for bands. The finish will take some practice if you choose to use CA glue. I’m working on it.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Did another sample today out of Redheart.

I’m waiting on a few more cores and a boring bar to make sizing through blanks to the core way easier and more accurate.
Turned out pretty nice anyway. I’ve got 4 months to get really good at this before I make our wedding rings.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:00 PM »
I like it..👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #40 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:07 PM »
They’re getting better Dom.

Bob

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #41 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Very nice rg.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Thanks, still in the tweaking process. One thing I’ve learned from 40 years of woodworking is, get the mechanics and process down and you can let your imagination take over.

Not quite there as yet.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Mar 31, 2021, 05:45 AM »
Well I decided I had to tell my Bride about the rings. I couldn’t  take a chance on it not fitting and 24k gold wire for the inlays is pretty expensive.  Good thing I did, she wants a narrower band than I had planned on. She still won’t see the rings until the day arrives.

She loved the rings and the idea. And now I get to wear some of the bands I’ve already made.

It worked out well.
Rg

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #44 on: Mar 31, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Always better to ask the boss for her approval of the finished product. Lol. Those rings are looking awesome rg. I'm sure you will have a ton of business from online sales to keep you busy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.