FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Salt Is Alive  (Read 22790 times)

westernmas

Re: The Salt Is Alive
« Reply #135 on: Sep 16, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Fly rod???

Guy I follow on the insta John McMurray who is a guide out of NY had a video of a client hooked up to one.  I don't know if they tease them into casting distance with spinning gear w no hooks or if they chum to get them close enough.  Thing got into the backing instantly.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #136 on: Sep 16, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Guy I follow on the insta John McMurray who is a guide out of NY had a video of a client hooked up to one.  I don't know if they tease them into casting distance with spinning gear w no hooks or if they chum to get them close enough.  Thing got into the backing instantly.

So after my first experience I would tell you that they most likely did both of those to get them there. Or, maybe nothing at all. Additionally, I am not sure what weight fly rod they were using but I was using 15lb braid and 25lb mono leader and they fought like a 6lb bonito with the added 5 foot leaps into the air. The bulls we got, they fought way longer and more so like an 8lb albie. I can tell you this, I definitely felt like I could have some fun with them on a mickey mouse rod or Mh ice rod and say 6-8lb test line. The bulls would most likely spool me but the 8lb and less would be fun as......
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #137 on: Sep 16, 2021, 03:56 PM »
So after my first experience I would tell you that they most likely did both of those to get them there. Or, maybe nothing at all. Additionally, I am not sure what weight fly rod they were using but I was using 15lb braid and 25lb mono leader and they fought like a 6lb bonito with the added 5 foot leaps into the air. The bulls we got, they fought way longer and more so like an 8lb albie. I can tell you this, I definitely felt like I could have some fun with them on a mickey mouse rod or Mh ice rod and say 6-8lb test line. The bulls would most likely spool me but the 8lb and less would be fun as......

TBH it looked like an 8wt or 10wt.  Hits the fly like 5 feet from the boat, instantly into backing, two jumps and spit the hook.

This was on spinning gear but they aren’t casting to dinks.

Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #138 on: Sep 16, 2021, 05:34 PM »
The offshore window is closing for me (in a 23fter) on sunday/monday.  So maybe itll be a giant striper night then 10w in the am for albies.  Might have room if any of you are bored.  Leave sunday afternoon few hours before darkness come back monday afternoon.

stripernut

« Reply #139 on: Sep 16, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Dam, I would snag a seat, but have to get ready for a Co trip at the end of the month... My elder's son's "Official" wedding (funny the one last year felt official) and some fishing...

lowaccord66

« Reply #140 on: Sep 18, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Plenty of time Allan.  Yesterday was blitz mania.  All on tins.  Mostly small bass blues and some albies.  Was doing great for 2 hours until another boat came crashing in.  Blitz over. 

stripernut

« Reply #141 on: Sep 18, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Was doing great for 2 hours until another boat came crashing in.  Blitz over.

Never have understood that, even if I had never fished before I could figure out not to run over fish... Sad and rude...

lowaccord66

« Reply #142 on: Sep 18, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Call me crazy but I tend to do the opposite of most and steer away from groups of boats...once one becomes two, then three everyone notices and you are done.  Eels under the cover of darkness is a better game, it just lacks albies...

stripernut

« Reply #143 on: Sep 18, 2021, 10:02 PM »
Have I told you about the Potato Chip Trick?

lowaccord66

« Reply #144 on: Sep 19, 2021, 08:36 AM »
No...I'm listening!

stripernut

« Reply #145 on: Sep 19, 2021, 11:02 AM »
PM sent...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #146 on: Sep 20, 2021, 10:49 AM »
I too went on a tuna adventure last week. absolutely slaughtered them. the boat total was a little over 60 fish for 20 guys. well our group of 3 caught 1/3 of the boat total of fish with 20 tuna. absolutely amazing fishing.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #147 on: Sep 20, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Nice work pal! Less tuna for us but the mahi action never stopped.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #148 on: Sep 20, 2021, 11:31 AM »
I too went on a tuna adventure last week. absolutely slaughtered them. the boat total was a little over 60 fish for 20 guys. well our group of 3 caught 1/3 of the boat total of fish with 20 tuna. absolutely amazing fishing.

Great work.  Where'd you go out of?  I didn't know they even did group tuna charters.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #149 on: Sep 20, 2021, 12:33 PM »
Great work.  Where'd you go out of?  I didn't know they even did group tuna charters.
Hyannis helen h. there are a few boats that go for tuna including the francis fleet and viking fleet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.