FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ulterra  (Read 8324 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Ulterra
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2021, 07:15 AM »
That's what I got, Duracell LA at Batteries Plus. They were about $100 each.

Appreciate the offer! The plan however, is to hopefully not torch these batteries and if I can keep these batteries for this year and next I'll be happy. Then hopefully the costs of lithium come down to earth by the time I really need new batteries. I'm not even sure I'll have the same boat in a few years since I am fishing the salt so much more these days.

Course I do live in NH where the cost of liquor is about the lowest in the country, and I am going out to visit my buddy in Canandaigua in a few months...

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2021, 08:32 AM »

Course I do live in NH where the cost of liquor is about the lowest in the country, and I am going out to visit my buddy in Canandaigua in a few months...

Let me know Geoff.
I'm out east in NY frequently for work.
Typically Syracuse and north to Watertown.
I also have guys out there that travel further east past Albany, etc.
It would be a shame for me to simply toss these if you could use them.
I'm sure we can figure something out.

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Finally used the record a track on my unit. Drove with the big motor while recording the track and found out the start and end points are critical and straight lines to the end works best I did a circle trying to get as close to the start as possible but you can go either way from start to finish or finish to start and start anywhere on the track so if this makes any sense than hope it helps you out. Love to just hit go to finish and catch fish and not worry about where the boat was headed.

swnoel

« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2021, 08:14 PM »
Finally used the record a track on my unit. Drove with the big motor while recording the track and found out the start and end points are critical and straight lines to the end works best I did a circle trying to get as close to the start as possible but you can go either way from start to finish or finish to start and start anywhere on the track so if this makes any sense than hope it helps you out. Love to just hit go to finish and catch fish and not worry about where the boat was headed.

I'm going to set a track up when I get to camp. Glad it works as expected. I too am looking forward to fishing and not having to control the steering.

mcully

« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2022, 12:05 PM »
any updates on how the ulterras operated the rest of the season? Finally starting to see some available again in the 112 pound 72" so thinking of making the jump.

swnoel

« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2022, 02:56 PM »
any updates on how the ulterras operated the rest of the season? Finally starting to see some available again in the 112 pound 72" so thinking of making the jump.

You won't be disappointed! It's everything they say they are.

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2022, 03:02 PM »
Yea, mine operated all summer and never skipped a beat.
Awsome!!!

mcully

« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2022, 10:14 AM »
Friend I ice fished with yesterday just dropped $700 in repairs on his ulterra that’s only 1.5 years old. He heard a louder than normal hum and when the service guy took it apart the head and shaft  were full of water. Out of warranty so guy ordered all new components. It was deploying and stowing but he just noticed a noise.

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2022, 01:38 PM »
Friend I ice fished with yesterday just dropped $700 in repairs on his ulterra that’s only 1.5 years old. He heard a louder than normal hum and when the service guy took it apart the head and shaft  were full of water. Out of warranty so guy ordered all new components. It was deploying and stowing but he just noticed a noise.

How old was it?
You said it was out of warranty
They did have problems with these in the beginning.
I was told that the problems were pretty much gone in 2019.

mcully

« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2022, 07:27 AM »
He bought it through Walmart 2 seasons ago new. Claimed he contacted Minn Kota and they basically said good luck you are on your own. It is the black fresh water model. I asked if he could tell where the water came in and he said he couldn't. If so how do you know it won't happen again even with the new components? I'm not sure who he has doing the repairs but he lives near east end of Oneida Lake.

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:46 AM »

mcully

« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2022, 05:51 AM »
Sent him that so he can confirm the upgraded gasket is present on his new repair.

Mac Attack

« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2022, 09:52 AM »
Sent him that so he can confirm the upgraded gasket is present on his new repair.

Just because he bought his unit in the past 2 years, doesn't mean it didn't sit on a shelf for 1-2 years before he bought it.

There have been tons of problems with the Ulterra.
But "supposedly" Minn Kota has cleaned them up.

Technology is great, but with it comes more problems sometimes.

I love the Ulterra on my Trophy.
However, when I move to Florida later this year, the pontoon boat I buy down there will have a Terrova on it.

mcully

« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2022, 04:47 PM »
Pre Covid so very possible it sat on a shelf.
Never buy the first year model if you don’t have to right hahaha
My Terrova no issues on year three but hitting a button to get up and run would be nice.

Mac Attack

« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2022, 06:33 PM »
……but hitting a button to get up and run would be nice.

Yup!
It is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.