FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Humminbird Helix 5 or Garmin Striker Vivid 5cv. Either any good? Bad?  (Read 1757 times)

jklingel

Would like user feedback on either/both of these two fish finders. I don't really see the need to go larger or fancier. Is either any good? Any other suggestions in their price range? My big focus is quality for the price. Thanks. j

gotagetm

I have a helix 5 and 2 helix 7 I love them .easy to use  I can't compare with Garmin cause I haven't had one ..but friends that have them like them...I believe there probably both good ...but ive always been a hummingbird guy
Ben

iceman260

I have a helix 5 and helix 7 they are great units, the 5 screen is to small for my old eyes. Don't know about the garmin.

Mac Attack

I have a helix 5 and helix 7 they are great units, the 5 screen is to small for my old eyes. Don't know about the garmin.

I agree 101%
I will never go less than 7” or 8”
Better resolution when doing side by side with map and sounder.

fishinator

I have the helix ice. Haven't used it on the boat a lot but I love it for ice fishing.

fishinjohn

Totally MY OPINION....
DO NOT go smaller than a 7" screen...
I recently switched to the hummingbird from lowrance units and I love them!! VERY USER FRIENDLY and tons of options to customize your graph!!!!
I have a buddy that has the garmins and he loves them also!!!!
My opinion stay away from touch screen... seems to me that it's pretty easy accidentally touch the screen and end up struggling to get back....

fish/hunt4ever

Have my helix 7 and coworker got the helix 5 Portable unit and he loves it but I think the screen is a little small, kind of wish I had a 9 or 12 inch screen on the boat for using the split screen for sonar and map. Thinking of getting another 7 and having both networked together. But love the auto chart live and you can download off the web page and have a network of people getting data.  Here is the screen on mine without it being split with the sonar so gives some reference for you.

lowaccord66

I use a 7 at the consol of my stratos and a 9" for the livescope that stays in the ice bundle. 

Mac Attack

On the boat I just sold I had an 8” at the bow and an 8” and 10” at the helm.  All were networked with both Ethernet and NMEA2000 optical.

Like I said, I would never go lower than 7”.  You simply lose too much resolution.

PikeKing23

I have a helix 5 and 7. Love them. The 5 is great for ice fishing but like others said....I would go 7 or larger for on a boat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.