FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thinking of all the Veterans this weekend, who have served and sacrificed...  (Read 5820 times)

Roccus

Not surprised about these, Joe.  :)

Was wondering if you'd fished there before and could dial them right in.
Nice to fish different water and utilize your experience.
Congrats.
No Richard, I've fished from the shore a few times, this was the first trip with the boat, day 1was a search and learn mission, I got a few schoolies on soft plastics but spent 10 hours learning how the current flowed and where I might find mackerel, day 2 I had  figured out where to get bait and then targeted the fish where the machine told me they were, followed them the whole incoming tide until they disappeared at the top, found them again 2 hours into the drop all the way to the bottom of the tide.., I was quite surprised to find them actively feeding in 72 degree water. That's the reason I never took that one out of the water, I was worried about stress, we laid a tape along side her for measurement purposes and let her go her own way...funny how people get "grumpy" when an out of state boat finds and catches "their" fish, especially when you get cows and they get rats...I got a visit from the Maine warden service, someone told them there was a brown boat keeping  short stripers... after a short talk and a quick safety/license  check and interview , I showed them some pictures on my phone and they shook my hand wished me luck, thanked me for caring about the resource  and being cooperative, I gave a warden in training one of my custom plugs, he'll be coming down to fish with me in September, I made a friend for life!

on the way home yesterday blew out a tire as soon as we hit the Maine pike in Biddeford, I just put them on this spring... I change tires on the trailer every 3 years, regardless of use, most times they have less than 3000 miles on them.....first flat tire I've ever had on the road in all my years of driving... using a combination bottle jack and scissor jack and cordless impact I was back on my way in 10 minutes...my wife said she was glad to see that that "ornament" mounted to the trailer tongue actually serves a purpose!

It was an awesome weekend, I learned a lot, but cant wait to be back in Newburyport.. as Dorothy said in the Wizards of OZ.. there's no place like home!

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
Great trip Joe except for the flat at least your were prepared. Hoping to hit the salt the end of this month in RI.

Sorry Joe I have to do this.

It was an awesome weekend, I learned a lot, but cant wait to be back in Newburyport.. as Dorothy said in the Wizards of OZ.. there's no place like home!
[/quote]

lowaccord66

Nice work Joe.  I put some effort in at the fort and caught 1.  I didn't have a ton of time but it was nice to get out.

Roccus

Great trip Joe except for the flat at least your were prepared. Hoping to hit the salt the end of this month in RI.

Sorry Joe I have to do this.

Love the wizard of Oz. .

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
I was quite surprised to find them actively feeding in 72 degree water. That's the reason I never took that one out of the water, I was worried about stress, we laid a tape along side her for measurement purposes and let her go her own way...funny how people get "grumpy" when an out of state boat finds and catches "their" fish,
Speaks volumes about you Joe, that many people already know. A little surprised that the water was that warm that far north, already..
Sad that the locals were green and especially the unwarranted report. I know about the "territorial" deal, but hey, you made a friend! Heard many stories about the ME wardens, but I never met a bad one. Your new friend was one lucky guy to get a custom made plug from you. Very generous of you!

Again, congrats on your trip. Heading back next year?
Great trip Joe except for the flat at least your were prepared.

That's a pretty big hole. Must have run over something that shouldn't have been there?
Denny, was there ever any doubt?  ;)

Roccus

Speaks volumes about you Joe, that many people already know. A little surprised that the water was that warm that far north, already..
Sad that the locals were green and especially the unwarranted report. I know about the "territorial" deal, but hey, you made a friend! Heard many stories about the ME wardens, but I never met a bad one. Your new friend was one lucky guy to get a custom made plug from you. Very generous of you!

Again, congrats on your trip. Heading back next year?
That's a pretty big hole. Must have run over something that shouldn't have been there?
Denny, was there ever any doubt?  ;)
Oh yea, My son in law owns a house on the Saco, just a few miles from the Camp Ellis jetty, he's even got a mooring..I'll probably go back up in the fall, for now, we've got some good fishing  going on and I need to get after it..
Nancy recalled a bag of trash strewn along the road just before the toll entrance as we got on in Biddeford, I'm thinking bottle neck  from a beer or wine bottle, it happened pretty quick, one minute I was doing 70, I noticed a slight vibration, a quick check of the mirrors told the tale, I saw the tire go up in smoke, but the combination of a 3/4 ton truck and functioning trailer brakes had the rig stopped n a timely manner..

So now that I've totally derailed your original post, it'll post something relevant..
My grandfather fought in WW2..My Dad, was in Korea with the Navy Sea Bees.. His
brother served in 'nam, because of his training and experience he became a helicopter mechanic, his sister joined the Air force and went on to medical school as a result of her training.. I served 4 years as an Army infantry man in the Motor pool before spending 2 years as a Ranger sharp shooter, discharged after breaking my femur  during a night jump training exercise.. my son, joined the Navy out of high school, completed his BUDs training and became a seal.. 24 years later he's still there under the rank of Master Chief... he's currently stationed in Ireland..He'll most likely retire before his old man.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
No need to apologize for the derailment, Joe. Sadly, my original post didn't gather much steam. I was not surprised by the friends who replied though.   
Your family's military history is commendable and one to be proud of! I found it very interesting.
My family seems to be half a generation off from most wars. Had an uncle in the army during WWII, but he was young at the end of the war and stayed in the states.
I had a very close friend (best man at my wedding) and mentor (Methuen boy) left school his senior year with most of his classmates. He joined the Marines. While at Paris Island taking tests, he was first out of 100 on the rifle range. He was made a sharpshooter and fought in Iwo Jima. He never talked about the war. I know what I know about his war experience from a mutual friend/classmate of his who also became a marine. I knew him well for 50 years and he never owned or used a gun after the war. Except one time, I watched him shoot a hawk in the head from quite a distance with a borrowed 22 in his seventies with no glasses.  Lost another good friend about 10 weeks ago at 96 years old. At 21 or 22, he was a copilot on his 25'th mission. Shrapnel downed his B 26 over Italy. He was hit and passed out on board. A couple of the other survivors sent him out of the plane and popped his chute. He was captured immediately and was a POW for the last 6 months of the war.
Have another good friend who did 3 tours in Nam. First one as a Ranger and the next two as a pilot.
A few miles down the road from me in a small private cemetery in the woods, lies Robin's great, great (?) grandfather with the old English spelling of her maiden name. He was a private in the Revolutionary war with a local company. Not too many feet from there, is her great, great grandfather (with the current spelling) that was a private in the Civil war. 

Sorry I got so windy, but I have a lot of respect for our Vets and what they have accomplished!

AquaAssassin

:flag: :flag: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Much respect Joe, thank you and your family truly.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Roccus

CD, Saturday mornings, O'Neil Outside broadcasts on WEEI(part of I heart broadcasting) at 4 AM until 6 AM,  he talks fishing and huntin, but at the end of each broadcast,  he does a tribute to mention men and women who served in the arm forces, each tribute, is about an individual and their heroic efforts to keep and make us a free country,  I discovered the program this past winter on my way up north,he talks fishing and hunting,  mostly in Georgia,  but his tributes to unsung hero's had me sitting on the Shores of my favorite lake gathering my composure,  if your  up on a Saturday morning take a listen..he's the best thing on the radio that time of day, and his tributes will put a lump in your throat.

Roccus

No need to apologize for the derailment, Joe. Sadly, my original post didn't gather much steam. I was not surprised by the friends who replied though.   
Your family's military history is commendable and one to be proud of! I found it very interesting.
My family seems to be half a generation off from most wars. Had an uncle in the army during WWII, but he was young at the end of the war and stayed in the states.
I had a very close friend (best man at my wedding) and mentor (Methuen boy) left school his senior year with most of his classmates. He joined the Marines. While at Paris Island taking tests, he was first out of 100 on the rifle range. He was made a sharpshooter and fought in Iwo Jima. He never talked about the war. I know what I know about his war experience from a mutual friend/classmate of his who also became a marine. I knew him well for 50 years and he never owned or used a gun after the war. Except one time, I watched him shoot a hawk in the head from quite a distance with a borrowed 22 in his seventies with no glasses.  Lost another good friend about 10 weeks ago at 96 years old. At 21 or 22, he was a copilot on his 25'th mission. Shrapnel downed his B 26 over Italy. He was hit and passed out on board. A couple of the other survivors sent him out of the plane and popped his chute. He was captured immediately and was a POW for the last 6 months of the war.
Have another good friend who did 3 tours in Nam. First one as a Ranger and the next two as a pilot.
A few miles down the road from me in a small private cemetery in the woods, lies Robin's great, great (?) grandfather with the old English spelling of her maiden name. He was a private in the Revolutionary war with a local company. Not too many feet from there, is her great, great grandfather (with the current spelling) that was a private in the Civil war. 

Sorry I got so windy, but I have a lot of respect for our Vets and what they have accomplished!
Good stuff right there,  thanks for sharing.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
CD, Saturday mornings, O'Neil Outside broadcasts on WEEI(part of I heart broadcasting) at 4 AM until 6 AM,  he talks fishing and huntin, but at the end of each broadcast,  he does a tribute to mention men and women who served in the arm forces, each tribute, is about an individual and their heroic efforts to keep and make us a free country,  I discovered the program this past winter on my way up north,he talks fishing and hunting,  mostly in Georgia,  but his tributes to unsung hero's had me sitting on the Shores of my favorite lake gathering my composure,  if your  up on a Saturday morning take a listen..he's the best thing on the radio that time of day, and his tributes will put a lump in your throat.
Thanks for sharing! Good to know, I'll check him out.
Tight lines on your home water, Joe.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Hey Joe. Interesting read and I knew there was something more to you that I liked. Ranger Marksman - do you still hunt or shoot at all? One of my favorite things to do now a days is to help teach our Wounded Worriers how to shoot trap and skeet. These folks can shoot a rifle and pistol no issue but when it comes to a shotgun, many have no idea. They are extremely grateful when I can spend some time with them and teach them techniques to bust some clays. The excitement they get when they bust their first target and then look back and smile, hits me like nothing else. I am always grateful for this opportunity and look forward to it each year. Everyone leaves with a prize at the end of the day which is even better.

Wicked Wec

Roccus

Hey Joe. Interesting read and I knew there was something more to you that I liked. Ranger Marksman - do you still hunt or shoot at all? One of my favorite things to do now a days is to help teach our Wounded Worriers how to shoot trap and skeet. These folks can shoot a rifle and pistol no issue but when it comes to a shotgun, many have no idea. They are extremely grateful when I can spend some time with them and teach them techniques to bust some clays. The excitement they get when they bust their first target and then look back and smile, hits me like nothing else. I am always grateful for this opportunity and look forward to it each year. Everyone leaves with a prize at the end of the day which is even better.

only with an ancient Browning  recurve  bow..too many nutbags in the local  woods these days..the reason my boats flat  brown is because I used to sea duck hunt, Boston harbor has/had world class sea duck hunting ( I used to donate those disgusting things to the food pantry)... spent plenty of time jump shooting wood ducks and roaming the fields for pheasants.. long before turkeys were reintroduced...only place left to hunt them ( pheasants) anymore is WMA's around here, and I wont set foot inside of one of those places.. I miss native birds ( I know they are not really native)...the only  gun I've got left is a 50 Cal  Hawking replica  I built from a Kit, and that is just a decoration on my wall, ... seems the older I get, the less hours in the day there are, not enough time to do everything..

Roccus

and shooting skeet and shooting birds apples and oranges.. done lots of both...with skeet, the speed is constant and you know it's coming,  different scenario if you have a wood cock that sits until you step on them, small target too.. or a partridge  they bust from in front of you, off with a thunder of wings , funny how they always find a way to get between a tree and your gun barrel.. I miss bird hunting, but not enough to drag me out chasing them..oh yea.. skeet don't taste so good, even with an orange glaze! ;D

Johnnh

Hey Roccus,

Did we grow up in the northern New York together or what. Your comments brought me back to my teens when I went hunting with my Gramps and my best fried up in the Adirondacks.

Your comment about partridge brings back some great memories of thundering wings, feathers in your face and their amazing ability to put a tree in the way. Putting those things aside, they were great times and a real good meal.

Now for wood cock, they are so darn fast. They gave you a chirpy skreetch, feathers in the face, straight up to the canopy and off they went. When you were lucky you got a few and that was about enough for a sandwich.

Thanks for reminding me of the good old days when we all learned to hunt and create some great memories

John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.