FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lead core and leader attch  (Read 6596 times)

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
Lead core and leader attch
« on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:49 AM »
OK all you happy trollers, what is the best method of attaching lead core line to a leader? 

I'm just starting out with this, the guy who got me interested in this just started, too.

eyedoktr

Re: Lead core and leader attch
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006, 09:33 AM »
I break and remove a few inches of lead from the sleeve. Then I tie back to back uni knots. Simple, quick and good strength.
Pete Lewis

Fishingking

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Barrel Swivel :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2006, 10:40 AM »
The willis knot.  Go to www.spoonpullers.com and there is a great step by step instruction with pictures. 

Pikeguy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2006, 12:30 PM »
The willis knot.  Go to www.spoonpullers.com and there is a great step by step instruction with pictures. 

www.spoonpullers.com

This site asks for a login

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2006, 03:36 PM »
If you don't want to register for spoonpullers.com then go to Lakeontariounited.com.  Put up a post asking for the Willis not set up w/ pics and someone will help.

bwalleye

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:31 PM »
www.spoonpullers.com

This site asks for a login

Oh great, another forum.........my wife is going to love this  ::)  :D :D :D

bwalleye

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:54 PM »
OK, got the knot.  Thanks alot. 

I've really just started trolling.  OK, I've pulled a flat line many times, but just in the last couple of years have I started learning about all the different ways to troll.  My brother in law bought a Penn Yann 215 Tempest at the beginning of the season.  It came equipped with down-riggers.  Used the down-rigger for the first time last week.  He was leadlining-which is new for him.  I had more questions than he had answers so off in search of information I went.  So much to learn, so little time.

windwalker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2006, 06:08 PM »
I like to connect lead core  to mono with a albright special , then about 6" down the mono, make a perfection loop. I then glue both the knots with head cement. I then add or remove the leader to the loop. For short leaders, I will  use a small barrel swivel.  :)
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH
 TO CATCH A FISH, SO BIG, THAT NOT EVEN I,WHEN SPEAKING OF IT, WILL EVER HAVE TO LIE.

bwalleye

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:51 PM »
OK then, here is what I found at spoonpullers.com

This knot is used to attach a mono leader to leadcore.

Make a loop in the leadcore,about 4 inches from the tag end.

Next step is to slide back the outer coating on your leadcore,approx 3 inches.

Cut the lead off,then slide the outer sheath back out till it's snug.

Insert your mono leader,so it butts up with the lead inside,then work the knot down towards the tag end(keep the mono butted up again the lead inside).

Pull the knot tight,holding the dacron on each side of the knot(then snug it up tightly,holding the mono/leadcore to really cinch it down.

The knot looks like it will slip,but it doesn't.

The Willis Knot 
By permission from www.spoonpullers.com  

Hilltopper

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:55 AM »
For some reason when I tried this know in the past I had a hell of a time "sliding" the nylon back to expose the 3 inches of lead. Just wasn't working for me.  ??? I went to a nail knot instead (had used it before for fly line to fly leader).

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2006, 05:38 PM »
Thanks Bwalleye!  I did not know how to get it over to this site like that.  If you use superline backing, you will need to use the albright knot.  This only works for the mono leader or mono backing.   

bwalleye

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2006, 06:49 PM »
Thanks Bwalleye!  I did not know how to get it over to this site like that.  If you use superline backing, you will need to use the albright knot.  This only works for the mono leader or mono backing.   

According to the author of the topic, it works with any line.  Just got back from the store.  Picked up my first spool of lead core.  Don't know when I'll be out again but I'll be ready Yessiree......Oh and spyderwire stealth too.  Darn this site, it's costing me a fortune  ;D

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:02 PM »
I tried it with PowerPro backing and it slipped if I put a ton of pressure on it. 

SEADUCKTION

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2006, 05:22 AM »
Bwalley,
     If you don't want to set up a full core (10 colors), You could set what we on the big lake call a SWR rig. This is a 2 or 3 color setup and then your 20-30 foot leader of Mono. In the spring this works great as a flatline, it will get down about 10 feet. When it comes time to go deep run it off the rigger, let out all the lead and as much mono as you like and attach it to the rigger. You will get the raise and fall like you were using it right off the surface, but have the ability to get it down deep. This is real hot when the fish get line/rigger shy. Good Luck with the new arsenal.
Rich

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.