FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: livewell system  (Read 7004 times)

StriperMaineac

livewell system
« on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:44 AM »
I'm looking to make a better livewell system to keep mackeral alive for live lineing..you guys have any ideas? ???

bluefinforme

Re: livewell system
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2004, 12:54 PM »
I prefer commercial grade bait tanks but if you are looking to build a CHEAP live well that works great too,  try:

1)Get a 15-30 gallon trash can (plastic) MAKE SURE THE CAN IS COMPLETLEY ROUND>>>>NO CORNERS!! This is the most important feature of your well!  If it is square (like a cooler) or has corners, the mackerel will kill themselves by running into the sides.  If it is round, they swim freely and live all day long!

2)You need bubbles or a flow-thru design.  Especially with mackeral....if you get a "air pump" "FISH SAVER" works great in Saltwater and is 25 bucks at Boater's World.  Or a "SUPER SAVER" 12 volt pump for 40 bucks.   

3) WRAP THE PUMP IN A PANTY HOSE SOCK IF THERE IS NO FILTER!!  Mackerel/Herring scales will ruin a pump in an hour if you don't have a filter!

4) keep water cold with SEVERAL BLOCKS OF ICE (2-3)   This way you don't have to change the water much at all.  If you don't use ice---switch 75% of the water every 45 minutes or your bait will die!

5)Attach pump with screws or suction and your off!

6)DON"T PUT TOO MANY IN!!!  try not to cram the well full as O2 levels will be non-existant

**for 300 bucks you can get an awesome livewell...go to :
http://www.castnetworld.com/livebaitwells.html?source=overture

trust me......this is the only way to go!!  its' worth the $

StriperMaineac

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2004, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for your help...........I think the round tank issue was my problem..I always used a cooler..thanks again

bluefinforme

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2004, 07:43 PM »
Thanks for your help...........I think the round tank issue was my problem..I always used a cooler..thanks again
make sure you use blocks of ice too ;)

loveice

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2004, 08:26 PM »
the fresh water fromthe melting ice wont mess up the mack.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2004, 05:06 AM »
i know if i catch the macks at the mouth of the river and fill my tank with salt water they do well with a bubbler and keep them out of the sun if i give them ANY of the brackish water fromfarther up  the river they die ,so maybe an ice pack would be a better alternative to regular ice...just my .02
Scotty 

bluefinforme

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:18 AM »
the fresh water fromthe melting ice wont mess up the mack.
trust me guys....I wouldn't steer you wrong.  The ice does nothing to the mackerel execpt keep them alive ALL DAY..........the melting ice has no effect on them......my blocks of ice rarely melt anyway......if you use cold salt water....and ice it will stay cold and you don't even need to change the water.....ask any captain and he will tell you the same.....i fish live bait all summer EVERYDAY!  and this is what works the best.......and beleive me if a bait dies the skipper gets  >:( and  :'(

bluefinforme

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:20 AM »
i know if i catch the macks at the mouth of the river and fill my tank with salt water they do well with a bubbler and keep them out of the sun if i give them ANY of the brackish water fromfarther up  the river they die ,so maybe an ice pack would be a better alternative to regular ice...just my .02
SCOTT....THAT IS BEACAUSE OF TEMPERATURE CHANGE FROM THE MOUTH TO THE DAM!  USE ICE MY MAN AND YOU WON'T NEED TO GIVE THEM ANY WATER.....I'VE KEPt MACKEREL ALIVE DURING TUNA TOURNAMENTS FOR 2 DAYS WITH THE SAME WATER.....KEEP IT COLD AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE RESULTS!

pegasus

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:00 AM »
Try it with eels, when you take the eel out of the cold water and put it inwarmer water they go carzy. It's great for striper fishing.  :)
Stop eating the bait and let's go fishing!

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:31 PM »
yeah i actually keep my eels in a bucket of ice when im fishing!Skipper makes perfect sense there is prolly a 15 degree difference in the water temp between the mouth of the river and the brackish water of the yacht club on the saco ,i always thought it was the presence of fresh water that did them in...THANKS gotta keep them tinks alive nothing better in my book.
Scotty 

bluefinforme

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2004, 06:26 AM »
makes perfect sense there is prolly a 15 degree difference in the water temp between the mouth of the river and the brackish water of the yacht club on the saco ,i always thought it was the presence of fresh water that did them in...

temp is key scott!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.