FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: # 1 Way to stream fish for trout your opinion and why.  (Read 11003 times)

luckyduck22

• Get em
Re: # 1 Way to stream fish for trout your opinion and why.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2007, 04:25 PM »
C    O    R    N   ;D

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2008, 12:18 PM »
I do a lot of fly fishing but up here in the woods the majority of my streams require bush wacking and no place to cast or bring a fly rod with out breaking something so I tend to use worms but on the bigger streams brooks and rivers I flyfish as well

stingdave9119

« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2008, 10:13 PM »
i like throwing wax worms or red worms on a short ultra light so its easier to move through the cricks and less hassle with trees and brush also great accuracy

Pequod1

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2008, 05:38 AM »
I am a product of retro evolution. I started out as an avid fly fisherman and thoroughly enjoyed it. However now I use a 4 1/2 St.Croix ultralight,2lb. test and either 1/32 or 1/16 oz. gold panther martin. I also tip the spinner with about a 1" section of a Berkley trout worm in orange,or natural. I fish this as mentioned before aggressively. I also fish wild and native trout and do very well.(Catch and release with barbless hooks for 99%). Probably the greatest benefit for me is the exercise. I usually fish 2-3 miles of stream and this helps my old arthritic joints! (That's what I tell my wife anyway)

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2008, 06:28 AM »
It's about time to start shaking the cobwebs off.

Sometimes, I'll put productivity on the back burner for what's fun.  I don't always look for the most productive way to fish, rather what's enjoyable to me at the time.  These methods do sometimes produce well. 

Fly fishing is something I'm not even close to mastering, but I find it to be the most fun to learn.  I'm a little past the beginner stage of fly casting but have very little experience at matching the hatch.  I haven't fished streams and rivers enough to learn the water or the insects.  I also have not done very much nymph or emerger fishing.  This year will be the year I spend a lot of time working on all of this.  I think if I can get good at fly fishing, then productivity will follow.

Also, this will be my first year trying out ultralite tackle.  I have a St. Croix 4wt fly rod and a St. Croix 4'6" UL med. action coming in the mail SOON!  Kittery Trading Post is having their spring turkey and fishing fest, and I got a couple of really good deals.  So hopefully, I'll be able to post again in this thread about UL spinning and fly fishing with a 4wt.
Live free or die trying.

archbishop

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Sometimes, I'll put productivity on the back burner for what's fun.  I don't always look for the most productive way to fish, rather what's enjoyable to me at the time.  These methods do sometimes produce well. 

Amen to that :tipup:

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Rapala's or Yo-Zuri's.  They produce any time of year and will consistently catch big fish.  I've found that gold colors work best in dirty water and silver colors work best in clearer water.  That being said, I always have a few Mepps in the vest for a back up.

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2008, 05:00 PM »
There is no best way to catch trout, PERIOD.  The only trout angler who consistently catches fish is one who has mastered all techniques.  I have outfished fly fisherman on quality streams using lures, I have outfished spinfisherman using flies, and of course,  :o outfished both types of fisherman plunking minnows.  I think the best time to fly fish is when trout become more selective, and a skilled flyfisherman can catch plenty of fish.  I think a good system is to start with spinning lures, using this method you can find fish more quickly.  once you are positive of a good spot, drifting flies would probably clean out the spot.  Also you could plunk a minnow.  don't even bother flyfishing stocked trout though, any lure or bait will clean out the entire section of stream. :P
this is true you need to have multi skills to CATCH FISH

1morefish

« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:14 PM »
In my neck of the woods, the best way to catch trout is to go walleye fishing. Then you will be overwhelmed with trout.  They are the easiest fish to catch around here and very aggressive. I have caught trout on everything in my walleye tackle box, including jigs, cranks, worm harness and jigging spoons. Seriously, I think that the rainbow trout fishing here is probably as good as it gets. Everyone around here is constantly harassed by 16 to 20 inch rainbows when walleye fishing. Of course, they do provide for some good entertainment and a great fight and I am probably blessed with an outstanding trout fishery. I do sometimes fly fish and target trout intentionally, (usually in Feb and March after the ducks and before the walleye lakes thaw). Nymphs here is the way to go. I do have a favorite high mountain stream that is in the backcountry (near, but not in Yellowstone NP) that is a hoot to fish for native trout on drys in the summer. Elk hair caddis and hoppers, what a blast when they slam it on top. If I had to choose one trout fly, it would be a small black midge, or and egg pattern. Ripping a weighted treble hook through a spawning run is also probably effective. (just kidding)

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:48 PM »
 this time of year eggsacks on light line work the best
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

ralwag

« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I kind of mix it up. I like to fly fish for trout but in the early part of spring I will use spinners and bait ( mostly Minnie's). I also have had good results with the power baits, usually when I use them in combination with minnows or meallies  :flag:

Ral

philg

« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Spinners early in the season then switch to flies later on

john t.

« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I don't think there is a number 1 way for me  . there are so  many ways , lots of times you will see me fishing in a creek holding a fly rod but fishing with a spinning rod or vise verse . what ever the fish want I'm sure to have.           happy fishing           John T.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2008, 12:49 PM »
live bait can't be beat when the water is high and dirty. period. i've been fishing for 43 years on my own, so i've tried it all. i REALLY don't need, nor can afford another hobby. so fly fishing is not an option. i do want to learn to troll lakes with a fly, but that's it. i'm too easily hooked! my favorite stream lure is a cd5 rapala in silver. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

skunker

• Carry In Carry Out Do Your Part
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2008, 01:23 PM »
With a cast net!!!!! ;D

Just Kidden ;)

Fly fishing is the way to go :thumbup_smilie:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.