FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jet diver / How to rig question  (Read 11543 times)

the Wizard

Jet diver / How to rig question
« on: Jul 04, 2007, 01:27 PM »
  I've never used or bought one but I live by Rushford lake in NY and find dipsy Divers and jet divers on the rock piles when they drain the lake each winter, being said I have no instructions on their use;
  Does anyone like using jet divers and if so how do you rig them?   [ I have the blue 30-30s].
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

walligeter

Re: Jet diver / How to rig question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2007, 02:26 PM »
hook the diver to a swivel to your main line then 5 to6 foot lead to your lure then let it out

Scientist

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2007, 08:16 AM »
  I have no instructions on their use;  Does anyone like using jet divers and if so how do you rig them?   [ I have the blue 30-30s].

Click on the attached link. You will need adobe acrobat reader and you can print out the first page, laminate it , and keep it as a referece on your boat. Sometime I forget when I'm out on the water and have not used a specific technique in a while.
http://www.luhrjensen.com/techreports/504%20Great%20Lake%20Riggings.pdf

the Wizard

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2007, 06:15 PM »
 Thank you very much  Scientist . :thumbup_smilie: Those are useful instructions, I did print them .
Now , On what appears to be the bottom is two holes ; What is the purpose ?
   Good thing for the pics , I was thinking they ran the total opposite of your instructions.
                                                                                     Thanks again , Wiz
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

Scientist

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2007, 12:47 PM »
The holes on the bottom allow the diver to be a “sliding rig” kind of like a sliding sinker before the swivel except instead of using weight to bring the bait down it will use water resistance. A while back some jet divers were manufactures had designed a special compartment to place scents but that never really took off and discontinued that concept. I believe eagle claw is the only one that still manufactures the scent dispersing jet drive.

bb243

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I have used them with little success.  I have caught fish, but I have also lost about 5 worm harnesses on them.  I don't know if fish hit them and broke the line or if the harnesses have twisted somehow causing the line to break.  Is there a speed limit with worm harnesses and jet divers or are my leaders to long (about 8')?  I am using 12lb line and steel worm harnesses for walleye.  I try to troll about 1.5 mpg when using them.  Any ideas?

Scientist

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2007, 02:10 PM »
steel worm harnesses for walleye.  I try to troll about 1.5 mpg when using them.  Any ideas?
Not quite sure what a steel worm harnesses for walleye is? Are you referring to something like cowbells, ford fender, or flashing lake trolls? Or like a crawler harness in which you have a small spinner, a few beads, and then two tandem hooks? Well if it is the first scenario than the problem is you are creating too much drag and tension on your fishing line and at the speed of 1.5 MPH then the constant pressure of the jet diver and the resistance of the spinning spinner blades would cause either your line to snap or your knots to fail due to slippage. Flashing lake trolls are best on either a down rigger or use different weight trolling sinkers in front of the rudder to get it to the desired depth. If you cannot find trolling sinkers than place a 1oz sliding sinker to your main line followed by a plastic bead then tie to either a snap swivel or directly to the rudder. Do not skip the plastic bead, it is what is protecting your knot from the constant movement of the weight. You have to use the count down method of you use a sinker. I only use jet divers with either a single or double bait that will travel through the water with little or no resistance such as flutter spoons or stick baits such as rapalas or yo-zuri’s. 

bb243

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Thanks.  I was referring to worm harnesses (double hook) with wire instead of mono holding the beads, blades, and hooks on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.