FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Understanding Tigers  (Read 22418 times)

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
Understanding Tigers
« on: Sep 09, 2007, 07:48 AM »
Need help w/ Norlunge. Are they characteristicly more like northerns or muskies?

Baits: Should I be using bass to northern size baits or muskie size baits.
          What would be some good baits to have on hand, to start

Time: Best time or times of the year to target them.

Location: I fish mainly rivers w/tigers in them.Main depth 12 ft. with deeper holes up to 20-30ft.
                Do they inhabit the same areas as pike, or do I have to fish for them differently?

ANY HELP, would be greatly appreciated.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
Re: Understanding Tigers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2008, 12:48 PM »
C'mon, Nobody's got Nuthin ?
I not asking to be taken to your spots or nothing, just ,how about
sharing some information.

boatnik13

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2008, 08:23 PM »
They tend to follow the muskie life! They (in Pennsylvania ) are suppose to be sterile but they will make the same spawning run as the Muskie between March and May. They are found in the same area's of our lakes and not so much the cold water that N.pike like. I say go with Muskie as a guide line in the impoundments but as for rivers ? I don't know because N.Pike are more likely to be forced living in Muskie conditions.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:34 AM »
They tend to follow the muskie life! They (in Pennsylvania ) are suppose to be sterile but they will make the same spawning run as the Muskie between March and May. They are found in the same area's of our lakes and not so much the cold water that N.pike like. I say go with Muskie as a guide line in the impoundments but as for rivers ? I don't know because N.Pike are more likely to be forced living in Muskie conditions.

This is what I found out so far, and its not much. I have personally caught (my only one) at the end of May, have
had them show themselves during the heat of the summer,follows but no hits.Its awsome when they charge the boat.
Alot of guys that actually admitted catching them where on live bait under floats during the summer months, and
one guy admits he likes to troll for them deep diving thundersticks.
Nobody has responded that really has put time into fishing for them.
Its your typical river system with all the components that make up one.
I'm typically fishing for bass and northerns, I follow their seasonal movements from March till Dec.
so I'm fishing shallow to deep, drop off edges everything.
So I'm very well adapted to fishing for northerns, I can follow and find them throughout the year.
The fact that I'm not connecting with tigers is what leads me to believe that Tigers dont behave
pike or act like them. I believe I should be concentrating on them elsewhwere or differentely.
And then there is lure selection, they will FOLLOW spinnerbaits and Bass size cranks.
Should I be looking into small sized muskie , large size pike lures or should I go with the big
ones that they target SKIES with.
I bought a variety of in-line bucktails and used them throughout the fall, no Tigers but bass.
I need HELP! Trying to come up with aplan here.

Issiah

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2008, 07:28 PM »
I have done well on Tiger Muskies in Spring & Autum when the water Temps cool down under that 65 degree mark (Much Like Northerns)  But have also noticed that Tigers love Huge live minnows. While Pike fishing I sometimes would get carried away with the size of the minnows like using 14" Suckers; & would end up catching Tigers (Much Like Muskies).  I've had some real good late August Early Sept days casting Bucktails along Deeper Weed edges.  All that said; it seems that some one always nails a big one outta stocked lakes in the middle of summer with a spinnerbait, or other bass lure. I feel for yah; it really is hard finding info specific to Norlunge!!  It's not like there is a In Fisherman book for the Hybrid!!

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I have done well on Tiger Muskies in Spring & Autum when the water Temps cool down under that 65 degree mark (Much Like Northerns)  But have also noticed that Tigers love Huge live minnows. While Pike fishing I sometimes would get carried away with the size of the minnows like using 14" Suckers; & would end up catching Tigers (Much Like Muskies).  I've had some real good late August Early Sept days casting Bucktails along Deeper Weed edges.  All that said; it seems that some one always nails a big one outta stocked lakes in the middle of summer with a spinnerbait, or other bass lure. I feel for yah; it really is hard finding info specific to Norlunge!!  There in No In Fisherman book for the Hybrid!!

Soooooo......what'ya  think just keep pluggin along.......other than the (big minnow) theory....what the heck.
You mentioned having some luck with Bucktails.....do you have a preference...as in color.....size?
Would you rather throw musky baits (large).......or would you downsize large pike baits (or big bass baits)?
Are you burnnin the bucktail along and over the tops of weeds?
I feel pretty confident I'm fishin the right areas....cant make it happen......I need ideas on lure selection....maybe
that'll be the second part of the puzzle.
I've got nuthin against bait fishin.....done it ,still do it........just dont want do it....the chase...preperation...and trying
to figure out how to catch these things on lures is what I want to do.
I bought a half a dozen Blue Fox #5 Super Vibrax and a couple Mepps #5 Bucktails got all different colors cause
dont know what they'll hit.
I am glad though...that someone finally....put their 2 cents in .......THANX....I appreciate it.
Hopefully we'll keep talkin :)

Issiah

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Probably the best bet in lure selection would be to try and judge fish aggressiveness and go from there... Bucktail fished fast if Fish seem aggressive, Mid speed lures like spoons for semi agressive / neutral fish & vertical presentations for Neutral / negative fish.  The Big live bait / tiger muskie correlation is no theory for me; it happened too many times to be anything but a preferance, at the very least in the body of water I was catching them in.

If I was very serious about getting into Tigers I'd ask around, research & read to find lakes with very healthy populations of em' & pick them apart.

Size of Lure is often best determined by fish mood often related to Water Temp & Air Pressure. There isn't gonna be one magic lure that works on any given day; there is too many variables; like with any fish...

Bet if someone was to do a lot of research on Norlunge then Publish a book they could make some money off it.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2008, 06:17 PM »
Tiger mukies act just like a muckie and frequent the same waters.  They also eat northerns.  They follow all the same patterns as muskies.  They are the Sharks of fresh water just like the musky.  Adapt musky fishing techniques and you'll catch tigers.  And don't forget the musky is the fish of a thousand casts.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:25 PM »
If I was very serious about getting into Tigers I'd ask around, research & read to find lakes with very healthy populations of em' & pick them apart.

Size of Lure is often best determined by fish mood often related to Water Temp & Air Pressure. There isn't gonna be one magic lure that works on any given day; there is too many variables; like with any fish...

[/quote]

Reaserch.... I have... I have two lakes and a river system at my disposal....I would say the population is not great....but good.
Askin around FORGET it.......since I started askin questions on this site and a couple others........to date I've probably have
had  a half a dozen replys........in the course of almost a year.Like you said its hard to find any material on them.......I dont have
(muskies) here I got PIKE and NORLUNGE......so my mindset isnt musky......I dont understand musky.......I havent pursued musky
I dont own anything musky......BUT I KNOW PIKE
All this time fishing for pike I've caught one Tiger........leading me to believe the dont inhabit  the same areas as pike....and
or arent enticed by my pike offerings
I use stickbaits....spinnerbaits...and crankbaits......shallow to deep.......I have had follows from spinnerbaits thats it.
So so far I know they are attracted to flash......I've located these fish in the river in the deepest holes of the river or near...
during Spring thru mid Summer.....the closer it gets to Summer the more boat traffic......less prime time to fish.
So (help out here "mud n fun")......should I start researching and brushing up on musky tactics.....is this what everybody thinks
(change of mindset)?
Also I realize that the MAGIC lure may not exist.....but I'm still going to ask Santa for one this year ;D
As I mentioned previously in my post.......I've purchased some bucktails #5's there not huge....but bigger than I have
been throwing......got a 7'-6" flipping stick .......a good quality reel w/ braid and I'm going to beat the water to a froth
this year and see what happens.
Any insight to help me along would truly be appreciated.......ANYTHING

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:37 PM »
Tiger mukies act just like a muckie and frequent the same waters.  They also eat northerns.  They follow all the same patterns as muskies.  They are the Sharks of fresh water just like the musky.  Adapt musky fishing techniques and you'll catch tigers.  And don't forget the musky is the fish of a thousand casts.

Help me with a selection of lures to choose from.......for Spring into Summer....these fish are attracted to flash (spinnerbaits)...
I get them to follow......but they wont hit.
I got locations to start at......lurewise ...theres a bazillion out there....I'm thinkin stick with bucktails but not sure.....
Should I be looking into hardbaits....softbaits......top ..mid ..deep baits......large or downsize early on.
Just dont want to spend a boatload of cash to get started.
These followers are sulking in deep pools with no other cover other than the DEPTH itself......they just appear at boatside
and scare the bageezus out of ya ;D.......its pretty awesome 8)

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Go big on your baits.  In the evenings use big musky top water baits.  the splashing on top of the water gets there attention.  If you get a fish to follow don't slow the bait down.  Real fish don't slow down and the musky knows that.  If anything speed the bait up like it is trying to get away.  Check out Musky hunter magazine.  They are head quartered in norther wisconsin in some of the best musky waters in the US.  Once saw a guy land a 63inch musky ice fishing up there.  As far as where on the lake to go.  Go every where.  We usually cover 1/4 or more of a 500 acre lake in an outing.  Like they say the musky is a Fish of 10,000 casts and they say that for a reason. 

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:20 PM »
oh did I say a 1000 the fist time.  sorry beers had me thinkin wrong.  it is 10,000

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:23 PM »
On every cast make sure you do a figure 8 with the bait 2 or 3 times.  They will hit will doing it.

SPINNERBITE

• GOT TEETH
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Go big on your baits.  In the evenings use big musky top water baits.  the splashing on top of the water gets there attention.  If you get a fish to follow don't slow the bait down.  Real fish don't slow down and the musky knows that.  If anything speed the bait up like it is trying to get away.  Check out Musky hunter magazine.  They are head quartered in norther wisconsin in some of the best musky waters in the US.  Once saw a guy land a 63inch musky ice fishing up there.  As far as where on the lake to go.  Go every where.  We usually cover 1/4 or more of a 500 acre lake in an outing.  Like they say the musky is a Fish of 10,000 casts and they say that for a reason. 

Tell me what you think......were talking river fish here......average depth 12ft. .....holes can run max. 20-30ft. deep......length of these holes 30 to 50 yds.
I'm thinking casting would be first option.......trolling possibly second option......I have a feeling that these fish would have a tendency to feed and be looking upward?
How do I approach and fish these areas.......my first thought would be cast the  edges concentrating on what structure is available (this would probably result in catching pike).
Would tigers hide in structure along edges like fallen trees and the like (similiar to pike and bass) or would they tend to hold near vs in these structures?
I believe they must relate to structure at times......the question is how.
Or is it possible that they would spend more time suspended at the head.... center or tailout of these holes.
Maybe I should make a couple trolls thru the center of these holes with (                  )....fill in blank.......then work my way in to the edges methodically fan casting to cover water?
I can get my hands on Musky Hunter mag. I've actually spent the money......could have probably bought a BAIT for the money I spent on it geeez.
I think with some help on lure selection along with adjusting my approach(quit thinking like a pike) to an area........something has got to happen.
I will most likley be spending more time on the river vs. the lake......cause I'm very familiar with the river and its layout.......just need a plan......man

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2008, 06:13 PM »
If you troll, keed your lines 15 to 25 feet behind the boat.  they look for food in that area.  As far as structure goes they relate to it as the dinner table.  Hanging just outside waiting for an easy meal.  Also a large 8-12 inch sucker on a drag pole behind the boat as you move and fish can pick up fish.  There is no best bait when I startted I filled the box with about $300.00 worth of stuff just to try out.  I switch lures often looking for the color and presentation they are looking for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.