FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: perchslayer25  (Read 5540 times)

bigdave1018

Re: perchslayer25
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2004, 05:32 PM »
zuke,howey1176 and i hit the jackpot again this am. monster gills, nice golden shiners for pike bait. we left around 12 because it got to cold for the clothes we had on. the gills averaged 8-10 inches and were heavy. psssssssssssss we were at my secret honey hole. tight lines perchslayer.

perchslayer25

« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2004, 06:10 PM »
good catch dave ;)......my lips are shut
If your electronics don't say MarCum then you're already too far behind me to catch up!

Taxidermist

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:58 PM »
BigDave,

I was out there around 4 o'clock, things were slow for a while, but then picked up after 6 or so. 12 nice big keepers and twice that many smaller ones. As soon as the sun came out they shut off. Caught plenty of shiners and only a few gills there yesterday.

Good luck,
Randy

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2004, 11:32 AM »
Randy,

The shiners are real plentifull in there. Big dave and I have been there the last few days catching them and the gills. You should see the look on some of the guys faces when I throw the shiners in the basket ;D. Stocking up on them for pike. Keeping them in my pond for now. At this rate I won't have to buy any pike bait all  summer ;D.
Harold

bigdave1018

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2004, 01:42 PM »
randy,the next time you see howey 1176, have him smile for you. lottsa silver scales stuck in his teeth!!!!!!!!!!!! lmboao!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2004, 11:20 PM »
If these golden shiners behave like the ones I have come across in some small reservoirs where I fish, they can be a ball to catch. Small sinker, light line with two small hooks 12 - 18 inches apart and the frequent double headers are a ball. I cleaned a bunch of them, 7-9" or so, for my father-in-law one time. Got no complaints, so they must not have been too bad.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Taxidermist

« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2004, 01:00 AM »
Harold,

I've been hanging on too all the shiners I've been catching down there too. Seems like the "pike bait" most places sell gets more expensive, and smaller, every year. These big boys are what you need for pike fishing!  ;D

Big Dave, I was actually wondering about that the other day. Think the smaller ones would fry up any good? Haven't been able to find smelt for a while, so we might have to find a nice substitute  ;)

Good luck,
Randy

bigdave1018

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2004, 05:00 AM »
yo randy i tried the silver shiners to eat when i was a kid. i think ill pass on the golden ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2004, 04:59 PM »
the port  bay perch bite is just beginning.

Taxidermist

« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Okay Dave, I'll take your advice! I guess I'll stick to grocery store smelt and stay away from the shiners....

How about substituting zebra mussels for clams?  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.