FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What Size?  (Read 2569 times)

rileyross

What Size?
« on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:38 AM »
When trolling for splake do you prefer bigger presentations or smaller ones?  Does it Change with the time of year?

er-e-is

Re: What Size?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Riley, where are you fishing for Splake? I have never fished for them, but I do fish a lot for lake trout. I would think that some of the same techniques could be used. Look for underwater points, humps and rockplies. These areas should hold bait and thus the splake should be there at times feeding. I am sure water temp and water quality are big factors in finding fish. Do you have a boat, fishfinder etc? Small jigs, tube jigs, mister twister or maribou jigs tipped with some cut bait, if legal in your area, should produce. Rapala type lures trolled through these areas should work. Try trolling with lead line to get down to the fish, if you want to get deeper and drag bottom I would  go to steel line, whick is stronger. Anytime you are dragging bottom be prepaired to loose tackle. A in-line sinker trolled on heavy Mono would also help get your bait down to the strike zone. As in any fishing trial and error. Sooner or later you will hook up and then just repeat the process and you should have success. Good Luck.

rileyross

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Riley, where are you fishing for Splake? I have never fished for them, but I do fish a lot for lake trout. I would think that some of the same techniques could be used. Look for underwater points, humps and rockplies. These areas should hold bait and thus the splake should be there at times feeding. I am sure water temp and water quality are big factors in finding fish. Do you have a boat, fishfinder etc? Small jigs, tube jigs, mister twister or maribou jigs tipped with some cut bait, if legal in your area, should produce. Rapala type lures trolled through these areas should work. Try trolling with lead line to get down to the fish, if you want to get deeper and drag bottom I would  go to steel line, whick is stronger. Anytime you are dragging bottom be prepaired to loose tackle. A in-line sinker trolled on heavy Mono would also help get your bait down to the strike zone. As in any fishing trial and error. Sooner or later you will hook up and then just repeat the process and you should have success. Good Luck.
Im fishing in northern michigan. and ive never really fished open water splake that seriously and i have started to read into it a little and i just had a few questions.

er-e-is

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:17 AM »
Hopefully I answered some of your questions. Good Luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.