FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: No Luck... need some help from the pros!  (Read 3631 times)

anthonyebola

No Luck... need some help from the pros!
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I have been fishing a small impundment (5 acres) that has a healthy Carp population. The impoundment is man made. It has an average depth of 5' but reaches 20' in one spot. Carp are often seen breaching the surface, and tailing in the shallows. The water is murky to the point of being disgusting. How should I approach this situation?  I have been using worms and carp bait to no avail... Any thoughts or suggestions on technique and location would be greatly appreciated.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: No Luck... need some help from the pros!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2008, 05:14 AM »
Are you fishing for them this time of year? I don't chase carp till the water temps reach 50 deg.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

anthonyebola

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Yeah I have been, But I am in the Shenendoah Valley, VA

Chucker

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Not a pro, but I'd suggest chumming regularly to get them in close, and establish a feeding pattern.

JCaughtem

• Warning....These fish bite!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I have been fishing a small impundment (5 acres) that has a healthy Carp population. The impoundment is man made. It has an average depth of 5' but reaches 20' in one spot. Carp are often seen breaching the surface, and tailing in the shallows. The water is murky to the point of being disgusting. How should I approach this situation?  I have been using worms and carp bait to no avail... Any thoughts or suggestions on technique and location would be greatly appreciated.
Use corn you cant loose throw some handfulls out there and put a bunch on your hook.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:16 AM »
i'm with jc on this one. i used to throw the corn from corn stalks in the pond where i worked. then use canned corn to catch them. after a couple of days, they will be used to it.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2008, 04:26 PM »
My old cabinet shop was on the Erie Canal. I'd open the doors in the morning and toss out a few handfuls of rabbit food. The carp and bullhead were there all the time. I'd take the flyrod with a weighted cottonball fly, laced with strawberry jam and the fun would begin.

If you plan on releasing them I suggest you use a hair rig to hook them in the lip every time.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.