FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: planer board setups?  (Read 4961 times)

2inchofice

planer board setups?
« on: Oct 04, 2009, 01:00 AM »
Thinking about buying some big john otter boats. ANybody got good reviews of these?  Also, when running planers, what types of lines and lures do you use?  I've ran mono/flouro with rapalas with little success.  Do you use leadcore, dipsy divers, and different weights. Do you run dodgers and davis rigs off of planers or just keep it simple?  any help appreciated

duckey

Re: planer board setups?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2009, 04:22 PM »
2inchofice

I am also looking at buying some planer boards.  After talking to a friend who fishes Lake Erie he told me he made 2 planer boards out of redwood 36" by 12" and used all thread to connect them.  He later purchased the Big Jon planer board reels.  I am not looking at spending that much money or do I want to have giant planer boards taking room up on my boat but I have looked at Boards made by off shore trolling gear, Church tackle and a few other companies.  Prices range from $14 TO $95. As far as the otter boards go there are plans on the internet to make your own for half the price.  My friend made his extra beefy so theywould not tip over when trolling for salmon in snotty wheather.  As far as what you can drag from a planer board I have read about people trolling up to 10 colors of lead core, or lures and bait.  They seem pretty versatile and you can go out to 150' off either side of your boat with some of them.

icechunk

• The eyes have it
Re: planer board setups?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:56 PM »
The otter boats are buy far the best. they never flip over in heavy seas and make a mess. the only real down fall is the size, they take up space on the boat. Just my opinion, worth every penny.
And God said "Let there be Fish"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.