FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sebago today  (Read 6581 times)

tcfish

Sebago today
« on: Apr 21, 2010, 03:10 PM »

Well my 2nd time out on sebago this year and my 2nd SKUNK!!!
 What the heck??  tried mooslooks ,couple other spoons , smelts ,shiners. Could only get the boat down to 1.3 slowest tried different speeds
      Fished 30'---- to ----- 110 feet .  I did read a few fish on the finder   I only had i hit towards nasons .... Went back and forth between nasons to muddy river to songo
                     >:( :'(      used mono floro on troll rod and fly rod with lead core
      What am i doing wrong ..

Loves To Fish

• When Can We Go Again!!!!!!
Re: Sebago today
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2010, 05:44 PM »

Well my 2nd time out on sebago this year and my 2nd SKUNK!!!
 What the heck??  tried mooslooks ,couple other spoons , smelts ,shiners. Could only get the boat down to 1.3 slowest tried different speeds
      Fished 30'---- to ----- 110 feet .  I did read a few fish on the finder   I only had i hit towards nasons .... Went back and forth between nasons to muddy river to songo
                     >:( :'(      used mono floro on troll rod and fly rod with lead core
      What am i doing wrong ..

Your fourth sentence says it all Tony. 1.3 mph won't cut it for using smelts. Need to go slower. Right now on Sebago, if you can fish with someone else who has a boat that trolls below 1.0 mph, you can catch lots of fish anywhere's from the surface down to 3 colors of lead line. Just off the last buoy and to the right is holding lots of fish, that's why some people are plugging right there. Hope this helps. Good luck.

tcfish

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2010, 05:50 PM »

Your fourth sentence says it all Tony. 1.3 mph won't cut it for using smelts. Need to go slower. Right now on Sebago, if you can fish with someone else who has a boat that trolls below 1.0 mph, you can catch lots of fish anywhere's from the surface down to 3 colors of lead line. Just off the last buoy and to the right is holding lots of fish, that's why some people are plugging right there. Hope this helps. Good luck.
        Thanks Dennis .I did notice a lot of boats just anchored up or drifting .... Guess i may try and put on a troll plate i have in the shed   

Jim P

• Lake Ontario 8/2008
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Just as important as the speed is make sure the smelt is running good before you send it back. Dennis is an artist getting the smelt looking just right before sending it back. I can't always get to .8 and sometimes I am 1.1 to 1.2 on the gps. We catch a lot of fish. I think it is because we spend the time to make sure it is swimming good for the speed of the troll. Hope this helps...  :tipup:

troutnstout

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2010, 06:31 PM »
In my opinion speed with smelt should vary with size.  Large smelts swim at a faster speed than small smelts.  I successfully troll smelts between .8 and 1.3.  If you can't slow the boat down try to get some larger smelt and see if that works.  It may not, but worth a try.

jp

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2010, 06:34 PM »
the weather was great day out there today.

tcfish

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2010, 06:47 PM »

Thanks for all the pointers   Looks like i need to change things up a lot        And yes it was quite nice out there !

jp

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I like how it stayed flat all morning. you could see which direction to go by watching the salmon feeding right on the surface

Yukon Steve

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2010, 12:34 AM »
If you are like me and have a 2 stroke it's hard to get her to troll under 2mph w/o stalling but now I use a couple of drift socks on each side of the boat and keep it around 1mph with no stalling. Just remember to pull them in before you decide to motor back to the launch :-[
Steve

fishingsurveyor

« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:06 AM »
tc-
 tie a couple of five gallon buckets with some holes in the bottom off the stern and drag behind it will slow ya down considerably make sure your smelts are running true not all over the place if using mooslick or similar try blue

tcfish

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:08 AM »
tc-
 tie a couple of five gallon buckets with some holes in the bottom off the stern and drag behind it will slow ya down considerably make sure your smelts are running true not all over the place if using mooslick or similar try blue
    Had 2 out may have to try 4 OR install a trolling plate i have kicking around

gamefisher

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:33 AM »
    Had 2 out may have to try 4 OR install a trolling plate i have kicking around

TC - I let MG39 talk me into drilling 4 holes in my new Yammie 90 ::)  I can get down to .7 - .8 at idle now. 8)

tcfish

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:38 AM »
TC - I let MG39 talk me into drilling 4 holes in my new Yammie 90 ::)  I can get down to .7 - .8 at idle now. 8)
      Guess i may have to get the drill out !    Cant hurt

gamefisher

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:05 AM »
      Guess i may have to get the drill out !    Cant hurt

Well actually the first hole is quite painful but then after that you'll be like "what the heck!" ;D

tcfish

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:22 AM »
Well actually the first hole is quite painful but then after that you'll be like "what the heck!" ;D
     Yeah just like the first scratch on the truck after that they just give it CHARACTER  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.