FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Ontario Report 4/20-4/24  (Read 2290 times)

200fisher

Lake Ontario Report 4/20-4/24
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 07:20 PM »
I recently returned from our annual Lake Ontario trip. We trailered the boats to Fair Haven, NY, and stayed at the Anchor Resort on Little Sodus Bay. There were a lot of guys from the Webster/Dudley/Thompson area staying in our cabins and another place on the Bay. Many were from my sportsmen's club (200 S.C.), and elevatorman and me from this site. Except for Thursday's sloppy 2-4 footers, the weather was very cooperative.

We were targeting trout and salmon. The only fishing method employed was trolling with the planer boards close to shore. Thursday's wind and seas forced us to abandon the boards for a while. They were too hard to manage with six lines out, but we were still able to flatline 3 rods off the back of the boat. Small stickbaits were my lures of choice. Other guys were having some success with spoons, but I did better with the sticks.

For us, fishing was good. Not great, but not bad. We had limit catches+ for two days, but had two slower days with just 4-6 fish caught.  Strangely, other boats had similar results, but on different days. Some did better than others. We had no huge fish, but some nice catches. The bigger brown trout ran from about 8# to 10.5#. We had a 27.5 inch Atlantic Salmon that was 7.5#. Our big rainbow was just under 8#. Most fish were browns from 3-5#. All were great fun on light trolling tackle.

We also had some misadventures. One of my rod/reel combos was lost over the side and sacrificed to the fishing gods. While lunging for the sinking rod, my 85 year old crew member was himself almost lost over the side. Only his flailing legs were still in the boat by the time I was able to grab him. Pretty scary stuff! In the process, a treble hook was buried in his knee. After cutting the hook off the plug, I had to cut thru his pants and two pair of long underwear to remove the hook by the monofilament loop method. The hook came out slicker than you can imagine.

All in all, it was a great trip and I've already booked next year's reservations. I've posted a few pics for your viewing pleasure. I hope I've done this right. If not, I'll re-post later.

[/img]
[/img]
A couple shots of me with the guys and a couple different days' catch...

[/img]
[/img]
A couple shots of my boat "POLECAT"...

[/img]
My friend Ed with a brown just under 8#. He wears all the white stuff on his face because he gets skin cancers and must protect his skin from the sun. Or so he says. I think he just tries to disguise himself because he's a stinkin' Yankees fan...

“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: Lake Ontario Report 4/20-4/24
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Your photos are not showing up

200fisher

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:36 PM »

OK. I know the photos didn't work. I think I have it all figured out so here's my second try.

A couple of shots of me with the guys and a couple different day's catch...

A couple of shots of my boat "POLECAT"...

My friend Ed with a brown just under 8#. He wears all the white stuff on his face because he gets skin cancers and must protect his skin from the sun. Or so he says. I think he just tries to disguise himself because he's a stinkin' Yankees fan...

drl823

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:16 PM »
What a great trip and some nice fish there

Mr. Jitterbugger

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:37 PM »
seems like a good trip to me  :tipup:

TroutTroller

• Lund wc-14 3.5 horse merc...beats any day at work
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:38 PM »
NICE

GrizlyGarou

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:50 AM »
That's an awesome trip!

I had to do the mono-loop trick a few years back on my dog.  It really does work better than you'd think.  Definitely better than stopping a fishing trip to go wait for a doctor to end up giving you stitches!

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2010, 07:14 AM »
200fisher nice pics fished saturday 5- hours not a bite after you left lake was flat and clear. talked to other fisherman they came up short to. great trip as usual. to bad about the rod over board that stinks :'(
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

butchy54

• Dead Trout Dont Rise
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Looks like you guys had a good trip,sorry about the Rod and Reel.Those can be replaced,the mate was very lucky you acted so fast and grab his legs,as you know things happen real fast out there,ya got to pay attention all the time.Some good looking fish Congrats                                                                   Art                                                           

bobbyg

• Team HewesCraft
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Mike, Sounds like you and the guys had a great trip... to bad about the gear but you know better than anyone it can happen to the best of us.

great pics!!
Negative Friends Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

unoman

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2010, 01:21 PM »
Great job Mike....I miss that place....K

200fisher

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2010, 04:23 PM »
That's an awesome trip!

I had to do the mono-loop trick a few years back on my dog.  It really does work better than you'd think.  Definitely better than stopping a fishing trip to go wait for a doctor to end up giving you stitches!

That was like the fourth time I've removed a hook by that method. It works. Everyone should learn how to do it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.