FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Aluminum Bats  (Read 2688 times)

TroutFishingBear

Aluminum Bats
« on: Jun 14, 2004, 03:35 PM »
I really don't like the aluminum bats that high schools and junior colleges and colleges use. I think it is really detrimental to a pitcher's development as well as his confidence. It also makes it so if you jam a hitter with an inside fastball, they get a texas-leaguer every time.

As a pitcher, you almost have to strike out hitters to get them out because the sweet spot is so large and it is so easy to get a hit as a hitter.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Aluminum Bats
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2004, 09:25 PM »
Aluminum bats are cost effective!!  That is the long and short of this tale.  There have been a few colleges to go to wood,  but most teams can't afford to buy the amount of bats needed to get through one season.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2004, 06:15 PM »
There have been a few colleges to go to wood

Yes, Dixie Junior College from Utah was one of these. And in its first year as a wood bat conference, they made it to the Junior College world series, held in my town, Grand Junction, Colorado, and they won against all of the other teams which had used aluminum all season long. They were better hitters than the other teams because they had to hit on the sweetspot all season, instead of being sloppy like with a aluminum and hitting the ball on almost any part and getting hits.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2004, 11:48 AM »
Technology plays a role in sports, no doubt.  The materials they use and construction techniques have come a long way since the first aluminum bat was developed.  If we only talk about the sweet spot when comparing these bats, these technologies allow hitters to hit the ball a lot further than when using wood, and a lot harder.  Is it good or bad?  In my opinion, it's all relative.  As long as the rules are the same for everyone, then the competition is fair and everyone is playing on the same playing field (pun intended).  Pitchers may have a tougher time getting people out than they did when bats were made from wood, but every pitcher has that problem and every team has that problem.  Good hitting teams work on the fundamentals of hitting regardless of bat choice.  However, if these bats lead to injuries because the ball jumps off the bat too much, then we have a problem.  Pitchers are vulnerable, being only 60' 6" away from balls that are hit back at them with a higher velocity than the pitch that they hit, and since most are off balance from delivering the pitch (it's an art for pitchers to be good fielders, to be in a position to field and still pitch effectively - Mike Mussina was a master of this).  Hitters also have an advantage that hitters of the past didn't have, better technologies in baseball construction, and better materials.  This to contributes to the advantage.  Now how has technology helped the fielder (and pitcher too)?  Better baseball gloves.  It's not as evident in recent times, but up until the late 1950's, baseball gloves were much different and much less effective.  Better designs and materials improved the gloves so much that it took the edge away from hitters, not only getting hits, but from getting on base due to errors that didn't happen any more.  And, during the early half of the last century, baseball gloves fingers weren't even stitched together.  Most were pretty much the same size with the exception of catchers and first basemen gloves.  Now, back to bats.  I don't think that they should be used at any level regardless of cost.  It hurts the game.  Why?  Because they have to (as TFB alluded to) learn the skills to be better players at the plate and in the field to make it to the bigs.  They don't use aluminum in the majors.  When these aluminum bat hitters lose some pop in their bat, they aren't as competitive as they should be unless they've developed good technique.  So, all levels below should do the same.  That's my opinion and maybe unfounded, but I'm an old schooler.  A pitch that jams a hitter with a wooden bat has the potential to break the bat, another pitchers tool that has been taken away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.