FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Independence Day Stripers  (Read 3224 times)

200fisher

Independence Day Stripers
« on: Jul 04, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Wifey and I trailered the boat early today up to Salem, MA, and launched at the Winter Island ramp. Nice facility, excellent launch, I've used it many times. We were hoping for a pleasant day on the water, and hopefully some striper action. My fear was that there would be a ton of holiday boat traffic, and the fishing would suck. We were pleasantly surprised. Traffic was light, the weather was perfect, and the fishing was GREAT!

We trolled around several of the outer islands in the Salem/Marblehead area and boated 37 stripers, all on the tube and worm. We had only brought 3 dozen worms, so we made good use of them. We really had no long spans without action, and we had a few double headers. The tide seemed not to matter as the fish were aggressive all morning. Most were cookie cutter 25-30 inch fish, but we had a couple around 32", and one at 35". Not giants, but lots of fun, especially for Sal. Any color tube worked, as long as it was red.

Sallie and I competed against each other all morning, and she won the battle with 19 fish to my 18, and she had the 35 incher. I hate when that happens! And I'm already sick of hearing about it! We headed home early in the afternoon with the fish still biting, though not as steadily as earlier. We were able to hear the cannon reports from the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"), being fired in Boston Harbor. And the topper was the fighter jets, after doing the flyover at Fenway Park, flew right over us on their way home, sort of our own personal flyover.

All in all it was a terrific day on the water, and I got to share it with my favorite fishing partner. And, oh yeah, every fish was released to fight another day.

The day's first fish...

A couple pics of the back of Sallie's head, while she was showin' me up...

I guess you know what this is...

“Half the people I know are below average"  -Steven Wright

FROZEN SHINER

Re: Independence Day Stripers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2010, 09:15 PM »
nice buddy,hey sometimes its good to LET  :whistling:them beat you cause when you want to go again they say yea you need practice.lol good report.  ;D

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2010, 11:15 PM »
One of my favorite places to fish, but love casting into the rocks with flies and hardware!
Tight Lines,
Allan

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2010, 09:15 AM »
way to go mike. :flag:
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

unoman

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2010, 01:51 PM »
good job Mike.....looked niceout there...

Dana

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2010, 02:47 PM »
WOW what a way to spend the fourth! Nice fish!
Glenn, get the net!

JDiperrio

« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2010, 07:00 PM »
WTG Mike  :tipup:
John

butchy54

• Dead Trout Dont Rise
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Nice job Mike and Mrs.Mike lol don't ya just hate it when they do that lol
                                                                                          Art

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2010, 06:52 PM »
Art never listens to me.
That is my old stomping grounds Bakers, Misery and Half way rock over to Marblehead. Some nice striper water and sheltered well for small craft. Island ,after island ,after island.
Great day for you guys. Congrats. She put you in your place for a change. Let her enjoy the victory. ;) ;) ;)

200fisher

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2010, 07:42 PM »
She put you in your place for a change. Let her enjoy the victory. ;) ;) ;)

Yeh, thanks, you turncoat!     :-[

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Yeh, thanks, you turncoat!     :-[

Have you tried for Cod and Haddock out by Halfway rock?

200fisher

« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Nope. We usually just tube and worm for the stripers. Occasionally, we'll catch some mackerel or harbor pollock and liveline them. I really didn't know there was a cod or haddock fishery there worth pursuing. Please tell me more. I forgive you for being a turncoat.  ;D

butchy54

• Dead Trout Dont Rise
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Nope. We usually just tube and worm for the stripers. Occasionally, we'll catch some mackerel or harbor pollock and liveline them. I really didn't know there was a cod or haddock fishery there worth pursuing. Please tell me more. I forgive you for being a turncoat.  ;D
[/quote
Don't feel bad Mike he is a turncoat ;D ;D.He is talking about Twenty Years ago (flashbacks)

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Nope. We usually just tube and worm for the stripers. Occasionally, we'll catch some mackerel or harbor pollock and liveline them. I really didn't know there was a cod or haddock fishery there worth pursuing. Please tell me more. I forgive you for being a turncoat.  ;D

I use to get fish half way from Bakers to Halfway rock amongst the lobster traps  80 to 90 feet of water  then a little deeper in the summer out by the rock as recent as 5 years ago.
 Turncoat  huh.  I'll  only tell your wife how to catch them.  ;D ;D
By the way if you look at the  Mass marine regulations on cod look at the areas of the apring and winter conservation zone. That area is protected because the spring area is another mud hole for breeding and they do congregate in that whole area in the winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.