FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: green eared sunfish  (Read 8637 times)

icefishnfool

green eared sunfish
« on: Jun 20, 2004, 09:44 PM »
are these things common .....caught a batch today in the Juniata River.....how big do they get ?

peple of the perch

Re: green eared sunfish
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2004, 08:21 AM »
i dont know if they r common but most sunfish get up to 14in max

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2004, 12:34 PM »
I believe they are just simply called green sunfish, at least that's what we call them, and they are pretty common in lakes in western colorado. I caught the state record, a 2 lb. 1 oz. fish, but ate it. Usually they aren't as wide as bluegills, but are fatter and fight stronger.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2004, 08:38 PM »
Green Sunfish are very aggressive and hit hard for their size. They have much bigger mouths than a bluegill of the same size and will take bass lures quite often. I have caught some up over a pound, and that is a fight. They are good eating too. In lakes where bluegills are stunted, green sunnies can reach bigger sizes.

Tyler

icefishnfool

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2004, 10:48 PM »
yea seemed to be agressive .....I cought them on 3 '' power grubbs.......and fight like sugar ray .....thanks , Mark Sirko

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2004, 02:53 PM »
post a picture, I want to see if we are talking about the same sunfish. I believe we are. I don't have any good, close-up pictures or I would.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2004, 11:31 AM »
According to Inland Fishes of New York they get up to and over 10.8 inches and eat insects, molluscs, and small fish.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Is this what you were catching.

GREEN SUNFISH 

(Lepomis cyanellus)

Common Names - green sunfish, the hybrid is a Georgia giant

Description - A slender bodied bream with a maximum depth that is less than the distance from the snout to the origin of the dorsal (most sunfish are deeper bodied).  Mouth relatively large, extending to the middle of the eye.  Color is blue-green on back with mottled yellow green streaks.  Gill cover is dark but has a light yellowish margin as does the edge of the fins.

Species - One

Range -  From North America but do not naturally extend into Florida.

Habitat - Lakes and ponds.

Spawning Habits - Similar to other sunfish.

Feeding Habits -  Similar to other sunfish

Age and Growth - To 12 inches and perhaps two pounds.

Potential Concerns - Known to rapidly colonize a water body but then to stunt and may also hybridize with other bream affecting the gene pool. 

Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2004, 06:48 PM »
That would be them, yeah. The other day when I caught 2 state record gills in one day I caught about 6 of these that were all slightly over a pound

FishDeepCreek

• Happiness Is A Jumbo Panfish!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2004, 06:57 PM »
They dont get as big as shellcrackers, and bluegills. They have a big mouth almost bass like, with pretty blue coloration lines in the green portion of the mouth. They usally thrive in over fertile waters. They are agressive as well! I had one as a pet in an aquariam as when i was younger, it was very structure oriented, and would flare its gills at any other panfish that swam in front of its hideout hole in a piece of driftwood...Cool fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.