FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Moosehead Lake  (Read 2000 times)

Moosehead Lake
« on: Jul 26, 2010, 06:59 AM »
I'm heading up to Moosehead next week.  We're renting a camp in Tomhegan Cove so I'll be on the West side of the lake North of Rockwood.  I know it's not the best time of year but, I'd like to try and catch a few togue or salmon.  I do not have downriggers, but I do have leadcore line.  I'm hoping some of you might be willing to share a few tips.

-What water depths should I look for and then how deep should I be fishing?
-What speed should I troll?
-Suggested lures?  I have a few DB's and Mooselook's, anything else?
-Is there a particular VHF channel that boaters monitor in case someone gets into trouble? 
-Locations?  Anything you're willing to share is appreciated.
-Anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

HuntFishSled

Re: Moosehead Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I just got back from 4 days of camping at Seboomook Campground at the northern end of the lake. The fishing was fast and furious. Caught a few brooktrout, togue and salmon on copper mooselooks but the big numbers of fish were on frozen smelts.

Caught brookies at all depths from 15' to 70' in 100 ft. of water. Same with togue, altough 40' seemed to be the magic number. Came up to 20' down in 50'-70' of water and started hitting the salmon.

I was using downriggers, but with leadcore I'd fish anywhere between 3 and 7 colors, experiment with speed somewhere between 1.8 and 2.5 with mooselooks and db's.

Can't help with the radio....although you can pick up 105.1 on FM.  :)

I was a long ways from Tomhegan Cove, but we caught fish whenever we saw a lot of bait and fish on the fish finder and concentrated that area.

Last tip is don't leave your camera and gps on the side rail of boat when heading home. If you find them at the Rockwood launch area or vicinity let me know.  Good luck!!
Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Re: Moosehead Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2010, 08:48 AM »
HuntFishSled, Thanks for the tips.  I don't have a lot of experience trolling fresh water.  I might try and pick up some frozen smelts.  How do you rig them?  I'm assuming there must be a specific way to do it. 

I'll probably try around Farm Island and Kineo.

Sorry to hear about your camera and GPS.  My thing is usually the cell phone. 

If anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Hoping to catch a few fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.