FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fly reel vs. center pin  (Read 26084 times)

SKUNK-MASTER

fly reel vs. center pin
« on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:25 PM »
never fished with either.....whats the difference??     I hear u guys talkin bout runnin a fly reel with mono.....whats the diff.?  why have 2 types of reels??

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
Re: fly reel vs. center pin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:38 PM »
centerpin has no drag system, this way you get a drag free drift

esox v

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:36 PM »
never fished with either.....whats the difference??     I hear u guys talkin bout runnin a fly reel with mono.....whats the diff.?  why have 2 types of reels??
Two completely different animals.
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:27 AM »
I am staying out of this one....
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2010, 02:49 AM »
I am staying out of this one....
center pins are for elitist's :-X a whloe differnent world of fishing for sure.

jimski2

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:05 AM »
Center Pins have a ball bearing system that is almost friction free. Spin it and it will spin forever. This lets out your drifting line best.

griz104

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:54 AM »
Supposedly the Center pin will give you a drag free natural drift..A good Center Pin will only cost you  a couple hundred more then a good fly reel also.. not worth the money to me..Although you have a bunch of guys argue otherwise.. I have had many days when my old fly reel and bottom bouncing has out fished the center Pins..

troutmaster

« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:43 AM »
fly fishing takes alot more practice to learn how to mend than it does to lob a float out, if you are looking for the easiest method,go with the cp, i can mend a fly line into my backing,and hook fish from 80 feet away,and from what ive witnessed on river is you can land a fish faster with a fly rod,makes catch and release a lot easier on the fish

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:31 AM »

I caught and released 3 nice steelies yesterday using 5 lb. line, after I beat on them hard with my CP rod by grabbing the blank instead of the handle and turning them into a nice gravel bar prematurely, there was no need for reviving , just toss them back. They swam like hell the minute they hit the water. Whether fly or CP, handling your rod for good C & R is up to the experience of the man holding it. I saw people using both yesterday that didn't know how to properly fight fish or release fish , some might as well have been put on ropes after the picture show.... ;)
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

timdog

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:36 AM »
fly fishing takes alot more practice to learn how to mend than it does to lob a float out, if you are looking for the easiest method,go with the cp, i can mend a fly line into my backing,and hook fish from 80 feet away,and from what ive witnessed on river is you can land a fish faster with a fly rod,makes catch and release a lot easier on the fish

i dont post much here but...

You're kidding me right? a lot of fly fishing concepts are employed when floatfishing,
such as LINE MENDING. so its not just a matter of just lobbing a float out. many fly fishing experts actually recommend starting youngsters out with flyfishing because its the easier form of casting to master. you ever try mending a  line that wants to sink thats the diameter of 8-10 lb in a fast run? try doing it with  60-80 ft out in a slow wintering pool where a fish has all day to view your offering. (theres a reason why most fly-fishers avoid this type of water) without pulling your bait or fly out of your prefered drifting lane and ruining the presentation.as a veteran steelheader with over 25 years in the game, i can tell you float fishing will get you catching fish sooner. but you won't master it for a few years.

timdog

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:41 AM »

I caught and released 3 nice steelies yesterday using 5 lb. line, after I beat on them hard with my CP rod by grabbing the blank instead of the handle and turning them into a nice gravel bar prematurely, there was no need for reviving , just toss them back. They swam like hell the minute they hit the water. Whether fly or CP, handling your rod for good C & R is up to the experience of the man holding it. I saw people using both yesterday that didn't know how to properly fight fish or release fish , some might as well have been put on ropes after the picture show.... ;)

amen snagger,

that was going to be in my post as well. puttiing the brakes on a fish fight is more of an experience thing . rod choice has nothinng to do with the ability to shorten a steelhead fight unless your using the old school noodle rods  from 20 years ago. even then i remember fishing 1500 cfs and  landing fish pretty easily on lines as light as  four lb. all about  rod angles and leverage.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:46 AM »
i dont post much here but...

You're kidding me right? a lot of fly fishing concepts are employed when floatfishing,
such as LINE MENDING. so its not just a matter of just lobbing a float out. many fly fishing experts actually recommend starting youngsters out with flyfishing because its the easier form of casting to master. you ever try mending a  line that wants to sink thats the diameter of 8-10 lb in a fast run. try doing it with  60-80 ft out in a slow winter run where a fish has all day to view your offering. without pulling your bait or fly out of your prefered drifting lane and ruining the presentation.as a veteran steelheader with over 25 years in the game, i can tell you float fishing will get you catching fish sooner. but you won't master it for a few years.

I'm just realising I have more to learn than I thought about float fishing , maybe I was just lobbing it out there in most circumstances all of these years , but now that it has gotten so popular and I'm doing it more often , I've noticed alot of little things that others are doing that I never did over the years..  Having a guy hook 4 yesterday 2 rocks up from me , while I did nothing drove me crazy , getting schooled is the only way I've ever taken my fishing , no matter what type of fishing it is to the next level....now I'm on a mission  to learn this form of fishing better., giving up my November walleye to re learn the River anyway..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

troutmaster

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:22 AM »
all i was saying it takes a heck  more practice to mend your fly line into you backing for a drag free drift  than it does to hold you line off the water with a 13 foot rod ! and it takes more than a few years to master fly fishing,He!! ive been doing it for over 30 years and still learn every time i go out to the water,hey snagger ever hear of a net? or  is it ok to stress the fish out more by dragging them to the bank and let flop around before you release them ? im confused about that one

timdog

« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:47 AM »
all i was saying it takes a heck  more practice to mend your fly line into you backing for a drag free drift  than it does to hold you line off the water with a 13 foot rod ! and it takes more than a few years to master fly fishing,He!! ive been doing it for over 30 years and still learn every time i go out to the water,hey snagger ever hear of a net? or  is it ok to stress the fish out more by dragging them to the bank and let flop around before you release them ? im confused about that one

...and all i was saying was that things are difficult relative to the method at hand
have you even floatfished with a 13 foot rod enough to make blanket statements such as the ones you've just made? not trying to get into a rod measuring contest...just saying. from the last statement you just made, it seems to me that your trying to  ruffle some feathers here. .. seeing that snagger is a regular, well respected contribibutor to this site, i think a little more respect is due, no?

draketrutta

« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:27 PM »
It is a heck of alot harder to land a fish (especially without a net) with a 13' float rod. I have one, but most times I use my 10'6" one.

Lots of little subtleties involved with float fishing , like checking the float to raise the bait or fly or jig up in the water column, etc.

The biggest advantage I see is that a float rod and centerpin reel do not freeze up like a popsicle in minutes on a sub-freezing day.
With a fly rod outfit, forget about it.

Some guys spend mucho bucks on designer, so-called collectible reels. If they got the $, all the power to them.
But there are plenty of good pin reels out there for under $300.

I buy my gear to fish, and I don't care if I scratch or ding it up a bit, cause when I finish the day I don't store it in a display case..
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.