FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623799 times)

fishgalore

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Take a good look at Danvise. I've been using one for almost a year now with nothing but good to say. Very affordable and rock solid hook holding.
RG
i use a nor-vice for most of my patterns, but tie egg flys on a cheep regal knock off vise, the nor-vise can do some cool things with its lathe type rotation, but will set you back a pretty penny ;D

Thanks gents. I'll look into both but a cursory look at the Nor-vise is tempting me to buy it. I'll do my homework.

Here's a look at the Sava:- http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sava-ribiski-pribor.com%2FPRIMEZI.html. Click on the video link to see it in action.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:08 AM »
That's a very sexy little vise :w00t:

I've used a NorVise. It's one of those "engineered" vises. It seemed OK to me. It's made (primarily) for rotary tying. They do make some very cool bobbins.

Take a look at a Dingo if you're jumping into your wallet that deep for a vise.

Not to be repetitive, but the Danvise is a remarkable vise for an unbelievably low price. I've twisted 2/0 hooks in a circle and held  #22's with ease. It's simple and it works very well. When I was looking at vises last year, I was ready to pop for $5 - 600 for a vise. That's what I thought I had to spend. I looked at all the big names as well as a bunch of hand crafted vises. They were all very pretty indeed.

Then I spoke with 2 commercial tiers who had many vises in their collections. Both said they tied  the bulk of their flies on the Danvise. Just because it worked so well and outlasted the others. These guys tied flies by the thousands.

The jaws are easily adjustable for center line when changing hooks. The rotary function is smooth and can be adjusted to tie traditionally while still being able to rotate the head. No extra jaws to buy. The only accessory is a jaw extension for very large hooks or tube flies. I haven't needed it yet as I don't tie salt water stuff.

Most of all, I love a good deal....and I bought a St Croix SC IV blank with the savings ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:15 AM »
Love your vise Dave ;D Did you make that?

Is that a mono loop under the rabbit strip for support?

I've done a bit of "Pike on the Fly" fishing. I used to go up to Quebec quite often (back when it was affordable) for walleye. There were always pike lakes in the surrounding areas. Usually they were a hike in with a row boat stashed somewhere. I had some remarkable days solo fishing on those lakes.

Not much more exciting that a pike on the 9wt ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Drifter_016

« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Love your vise Dave ;D Did you make that?

Is that a mono loop under the rabbit strip for support?

I've done a bit of "Pike on the Fly" fishing. I used to go up to Quebec quite often (back when it was affordable) for walleye. There were always pike lakes in the surrounding areas. Usually they were a hike in with a row boat stashed somewhere. I had some remarkable days solo fishing on those lakes.

Not much more exciting that a pike on the 9wt ;D

RG

RG

I can't remember where I got the vise. It has to be about 20 or more years old now.
I think I got it at Cabelas back then.

Got a Renzedtti Traveler enroute now,   ;D

I built a web site for a camp in Northern Ontario last year and fishing trips are my payment.   ;D
They have giant pike and walleye at the camp.
He is opening a new outpost camp this year on an unfished lake in the area that should be awesome.
He is offering a super deal this year on the new camp to get the word out.
The cost is $1000 CAD per person per week.
If you know anyone that is into fishing giant pike and walleye pass on the info.

http://www.eddienorth.com

Almost forgot, yes it's a mono loop made of 40#. It helps to keep the tail from wrapping the hook.

Bartman44

« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Been experimenting with rubber legs this winter. Locked and loaded, just waiting for the ice to melt. I like your alewife doober

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:36 AM »
That's a good looking stash Bartman. I played a lot with foam and rubber legs last summer.

And some Helgrammites

I don't do much trout fishing. One of my goals is to remedy that situation ;D

What 'cha got right here ;D They look very interesting...

RG

OTIS

« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Does anyone have any comments on the Griffin Patriot Cam Fly Tying Vise?  I kind of like this vise but would like to see everyones comments before I dump the $ for it.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2011, 05:32 PM »
If you tie flies already, you may want to consider a true rotary vise. I like the cam jaws. It's certainly the best design for hook holding power. It's reasonably priced.

RG

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:08 PM »
If you tie flies already, you may want to consider a true rotary vise. I like the cam jaws. It's certainly the best design for hook holding power. It's reasonably priced.

RG

I sent you something in the mail today RG....  I hope you can use them... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Thanks Dom, I'll be looking for it.

RG

Bartman44

« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:04 AM »

RG

RG, nice ties. Here's some close ups of the fly in question. I pulled the recipie from a Fly Fisherman mag article a good number of years ago, Can't remember the author but the fly is the Delaware River Helgrammite. Standard nymph hook bent upward, rubber legs, black hackle trimmed, olive chenille, turkey wing case. And, yes it works on the Delaware when the helgies are out and about. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Man you guys sure have some talent.....   I dont know anything about flies but that looks cool..... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Here's some fun ties. Try some Hare's Ears or Stones backwards ;D

I'm really getting to like the backwards tie. I think fish zero in on the head of their prey when they can see it well.

RG

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Here's some fun ties. Try some Hare's Ears or Stones backwards ;D

I'm really getting to like the backwards tie. I think fish zero in on the head of their prey when they can see it well.

RG
Nice Pics RG!!!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

KingPerch

« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2011, 01:45 PM »
That's a good looking stash Bartman. I played a lot with foam and rubber legs last summer.

And some Helgrammites

I don't do much trout fishing. One of my goals is to remedy that situation ;D

RG
Good looking arsenol Guys!! RG has a few there that look very familiar! ::)--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.