FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish  (Read 85261 times)

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish
« on: Mar 12, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Our Wyoming Game and Fish has offered to volunteer their valuable time to answer our questions. Please keep in mind that their time on the site is very limited, and that not all questions may be answered. Hopefully this thread can be used by both sides to gain valuable insight. Please maintain the Q&A nature of the thread by reserving discussion for separate threads.

All G&F employees are invited to use the thread as a resource to share information, news and events affecting Wyoming sportsmen.

On behalf of our members, I thank the Wyoming G&F for taking the time to contribute to the site and it's members.

Fishwhisperer307

Re: Ask the Wyoming Game & Fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Can any1 tell me why alsop winterkilled?????????

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Can any1 tell me why alsop winterkilled?????????

fishwhisperer307,

The Laramie Fisheries Management Crew is aware of the fish kill at Alsop Lake.  We walked about half of the lake this last Monday and counted over 50 dead fish on the shoreline.  We have not been able to get a boat onto the lake yet due to the wind to assess how many fish might be on the bottom of the lake.  Dead small minnow species were also observed along the shoreline.  Water quality measurements were taken also on Monday and they all appeared normal, so whatever has happened is now over.  We will be sampling the lake soon and this will give us a better idea if this was a partial winterkill or complete winterkill.  We do stock about 5,000 trout annually into Alsop Lake, so 50 dead ones along the shore would not represent a large portion of the population.   In addition, we will be restocking the lake mid-April and this fish will grow quickly.  One reason this event may have happened: The lake was still frozen as of this last Thursday and then opened up very quickly.  Over the winter oxygen in the water that settles to the bottom of the lake can become depleted.  When a lake becomes unfrozen and the wind turns the lake over quickly the anoxic water mixes.  This can cause oxygen levels throughout the lake to potentially drop quickly causing fish to die.  This is just one possislbe cause of this event.  When Alsop Lake maintains a good water level, like it has over the last couple of years, winterkill events like this have been rare, so we hope this was just a one time Perfect Storm of environmental variables coming together.  Again, we will be sampling the lake in a week or so and I will post results for those of you interested. 

Thanks for your concern,

WGFDLaramieFishBio

GRIZLEE

• Let's go fishin!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:12 PM »
If baitfish are trapped and killed in one drainage area, say drainage area 5, those baitfish CANNOT be used in another drainage area, say drainage area 4, right? ???

Thanks for clarification

Matt R.

• Keep a few, but take more photos!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Where can I find data concerning stocking of cat fish in the North Platte from Dave Johnston down stream to the Ne. state line?
Does this section of river get stocked with Catfish, or do they just migrate out of Glendo upstream? Are there any catfish down stream of Glendo?

Thanks so much for your time and input guys! ;D
I like to fish for all fish!

er-e-is

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I have heard many stories on the age of Lake Trout. I am sure it varies from lake to lake but what is the real story?

Fishwhisperer307

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:26 PM »
ya its just a shame these lakes always winterkill because they grow fish so fast.i know that weeds play a big role in winter killing.....so why dont they completely just poison the lake and kill off all the plants and start new?

Fishwhisperer307

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:28 PM »
o ya and thanks a bunch for the reply, cleared alot up. have you heard anything on meebor i heard it may have had a partial kill?

angler82

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Are there fish stocking reports available for the lakes in Wyoming?  If so how would a guy get a hold of one. Thanks.

hump

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:50 AM »
what is the status of walleye in hawk springs. Has stocking continued through the low water periods?

cbtrtbum

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:14 PM »
i too would like to know about the status of Hawk Springs in general. I have read that there are Largemouth Bass in there but friends ive talked to have said they have never caught one.  Id love to explore there this season if it was worth it with a good population.  Thanks so much to the G&F guys that take the time to answer here and on the ice shanty board. I really appreciate the info! Cheers,Chris

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Alsop Lake Update:

We have received some credible reports of anglers catching fish at Alsop Lake this weekend.  So not all is lost!  We still have plans to sample the lake next week and I will post the results.

Thanks,

WGFDLaramieFishBio

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:48 PM »
what is the status of walleye in hawk springs. Has stocking continued through the low water periods?

Hump,

Over the last two years spring water levels at Hawk Springs Reservoir have improved, while still drawn down annually the fall water level has not approached the low minimum pool we observed in 2006.  Based on a research project (evaluating the contribution of stocked walleye vs. wild walleye) and population dynamics walleye stocking was discontinued from 2005 through 2008.  Due to the lack of juvenile walleye caught during our annual sampling from 2006 through 2008, annual stocking was resumed in 2009.  Around 80,000 fingerling walleye were stocked in 2009 and 2010 and account for a large year class of walleye between 11-13 inches caught in our sampling gear in 2010.  Some natural reproduction may be attributing to this large year class as spawning habitat has improved over the last two years.  All size classes of walleye were in good condition, which may be attributed to the numerous forage fish species (gizzard shad, spottail shiner, and juvenile crappie).  Memorable sized crappie (>12 inches) await anglers who take advantage of this spring fishery, as crappie caught in our gear in 2010 ranged in length from 6-13 inches and averaged over 8 inches.  Channel catfish are still available to anglers, despite their inconsistent stocking since 2002.  This has been due to a number of different reasons, but we will continue to stocked channel catfish when we can.  Despite being stocked in 2008, no largemouth bass were captured in 2009 or 2010.  This may be because it takes a long time for a bass in Wyoming to get to any size.  We have had credible reports of anglers catching largemouth from the dam in 2010.  We will continue to stock 80,000 walleye annually and channel catfish when available.  We expect a large year class of walleye in 2011 that will range between 14-17 inches.  Go get’em!

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

WGFDFishBioLaramie

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Are there fish stocking reports available for the lakes in Wyoming?  If so how would a guy get a hold of one. Thanks.

Angler82,

Call your local fish biologist at the Regional Office closest to you.  They should be able to email or send you when you need in terms of stocking.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

hump

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2011, 06:02 PM »
Thanks, I really like that little lake. Glad to hear you guys are keeping on top of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.