FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 15681 times)

Fishingnerd33

Re: Box Butte
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:28 AM »
The gills are starting to get a little tight-lipped.  They've got other things on their minds... ;) 

The fish are scattered in the trees, mobility is key...I've fished upwards of an hour before finding a pocket of active fish, caught some then had to find another.  The northern seem to be extremely active right now, especially on the west end.  Had several hook ups on good fish, but couldn't bring them in.  Had one straighten the hook on my little beetle spin. 

I bet Snyder's pond is looking pretty big right now.  Can Snyders even get in their place?  I fished that pond growing up and there wasn't a lot of room then, in a couple wetter years the lake was up to the road.  I imagine the road is pretty much gone now. 

cbtrtbum

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Can you have good Pike fishing from shore pretty consistantly? I really want to head over there and catch my first Pike.  Thanks,Chris

fishngolf

« Reply #17 on: Jun 10, 2011, 10:41 PM »
I will be golfing in the early morning and pike fishing later on Saturday. The best of both worlds, will report on the fishing later.

Not sure on Snyders pond but you are probably right, the highway is closed except for local traffic. There is a big pond across the highway just east of their turnoff, you couldn't see the top of the fenceposts on either side. Schick Lake is as full as I have seen it.

The gills are starting to get a little tight-lipped.  They've got other things on their minds... ;) 

The fish are scattered in the trees, mobility is key...I've fished upwards of an hour before finding a pocket of active fish, caught some then had to find another.  The northern seem to be extremely active right now, especially on the west end.  Had several hook ups on good fish, but couldn't bring them in.  Had one straighten the hook on my little beetle spin. 

I bet Snyder's pond is looking pretty big right now.  Can Snyders even get in their place?  I fished that pond growing up and there wasn't a lot of room then, in a couple wetter years the lake was up to the road.  I imagine the road is pretty much gone now. 

fishngolf

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Fished at a private lake north of Mullen on Saturday. Got rather breezy with small whitecaps but had pretty good luck. Ended up with our limit of six pike and ten medium sized perch all on artificial lures.

Jynx

« Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2011, 09:06 AM »
any new updates on the fishing in the area, i've been out of the loop for a while?

Jynx

Fishingnerd33

« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Gills have been somewhat tight-lipped, but should start cooperating soon.  4-6" perch and snot torpedos aplenty.  The occasional smallmouth from the rocks and dam.  A few catfish in the trees.  Saw a nice 9lb cat come out of the trees last week (went back).

Whatever you're targeting, I'd hit the west end in the trees.  Everyone I've talked to who has been catching fish is in the trees.  So much cover right now, it's hard to narrow things down.  The fish are scattered everywhere...  Heading there this weekend and will post a report.

Jynx

« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2011, 11:43 AM »
any idea on what the cats are being caught on?

Fishingnerd33

« Reply #22 on: Jun 22, 2011, 06:09 PM »
The 9lb one that I saw was caught on a 1/32oz beetle spin.  Probably not a lot of help :)

I would use cut gills or perch for the whiskered ones.  ;)

Fishingnerd33

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Fished Sunday at the lake.  Got into some nice gills again, mostly males up to 9.5"

Talked with a few guys who had quite a few white bass, a few nice crappie, and a nice eye.  Not sure where or on what...they weren't talking about that.  Also saw a couple with their limit of northerns.

Bass are starting to hit the topwaters, had one nail my bobber while I was reeling it in.

Fishingnerd33

« Reply #24 on: Jun 28, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Thought I'd post a few pics of them

Ahab

« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Headed to box butte tomorrow for eyes pike and bass and well anything we can find biting will post a report when we get back.

fishlord

• http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii165/rbfishlor
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:17 AM »
gonno hit the butte over thanksgiving week.I know its low this time of year,so can anybody tell me if  you can still launch a boat ok and if there is anything to watch out for.I have only fished it once out of a boat and at that time the lake was full.any input will be good,dont know if anybody is around on this site much,LOL  looks to be a little lonely here

Randy
Birdman

Keith Walters

« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Randy,

The Bureau of Reclamation web site shows that the water is two feet above the end of the ramp.  I would think you can launch at this level.

Good luck,

Keith

fishlord

« Reply #28 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Thanks Keith,If we do any good I will post some pics
Randy
Birdman

fishlord

« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2012, 11:34 AM »
I finally got back to the lake last weekend,as usual we did real well on pike,nothing huge maybe 6 lbs for the biggest but did catch alot,also got 1- 3 lb eye for a bonus,great day of fishing

Randy
Birdman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.