FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cabonga Reservoir  (Read 15484 times)

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
Cabonga Reservoir
« on: Jul 29, 2004, 09:22 PM »
I am thinking of planning a trip to cabonga next June.  Is it good for walleye and Pike?  Any good lodges or any other res. or lake in quebec that may be better for walleye and pike?
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Cabonga Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2004, 02:25 PM »
I know the Deer Horn Lodge is on the Cabonga. Never fished there, but have looked at their website.
Ken A.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2004, 08:05 PM »
Yeh we looked at that one we want to go somewhere where there is a good population of eyes and wanted to see if anyone has fished there for them hanks though. ;D

fishyfinger

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2004, 01:20 PM »
My son and I just returned from the Lodge at Parent Lake. It is about an hour north of the Cabonga and is a prime lake for trophy pike and walleyes. It is 39 miles long and is NOT a lake controlled by the hydro power projects up there like so many others. Wayne and Peggy Werner are very acomodatting with everything from licences and fishing info to cabins and boat and motor outfitting. I rate this a top notch trip for any one who wants ease of preparation. There are no penetration roads, you can drive right to the camp on rte. 113. No portage to remote lakes for big fish and everything you need is in your cabin for your stay except towels. We caught and released 60 plus northerns up to 24 in. and kept plenty for eating in a six day period. Walleyes were a little slow due to time of the season and very changeable weather, however we caught enough for dinner and brought some home. Big perch as well! Check them out on www.fishparentlake.com. Hope this fills the bill and tight lines my friend!

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Was searching for some info on Quebec fishing and came across these Topo maps of the Cabonga Reservoir. Just click on the link for a north and south topo map of the Cabonga.

Cabongo Reservoir Topo Maps
Ken A.

eatsleepfish

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2005, 08:36 PM »
I have been fishing from Deer Horn Lodge since 1981.  Try to go up every year.  Walleye fishing is getting alot better these days while the trophy pike are much harder to catch.  On average we have been catching 8 to 10 lb pike and 3 to 5 lb walleye.

The nice thing about Deer Horn is that its pretty secluded and there is no trouble from the local Indians as I heard about at the other places (Pavilion Cabonga/Bark Lake Lodge).

The only drawback is there is an 18 mile drive on a rock road which, if you are pulling a boat, the fastest you can go is about 20 mph.

The beauty of the Cabonga is the variety of the lake.  I read there is something like 2000 miles of shore line.  There are inlets and bays that you can fish and fish and fish.  That is one of the reasons we keep going back every year is due to the variety that the Cabonga has to offer and peacefulness that Deer Horn Offers.

The first year there (1981) I did catch a 44 inch 38 lb northern.  And don't get me wrong, big ones are still caught but it seems mostly by trolling deep holes with plugs.

Let me know if you want any more information.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2005, 11:12 PM »
Well I was up at Deer Horn Lodge last week.  That place is awesome.  Everyone is so nice and friendly.  The fishing was o.k.  It was very hot and calm 3 days which in turn led to a difficult walleye bite.  The other 2 days while it was cooler and windy we caught many walleye including our final day we caught well over 40 walleye in one spot in about 1 hour. This reservoir is awesome and am planning on going back again. 

Almost all the walleye came jigging or casting jigs.  Only a few where caught trolling.  As far as northern's that were caught they came both trolling spoons, plugs, and meps spinners or casting.  We found the pike to be smaller than expected but still plenty to have fun.

Big fish of the trip was a 8 lb 5 oz. walleye caught by my father drifting a jig around a island.

nail pounder

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Any one going to the Cabonga this year ?

eatsleepfish

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:09 AM »
How was Cabonga this year?  Did anyone go this year?  I didn't but planning on next year.

Anyone that goes, do you have the Trak Map for Garmin or the printed version?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.