FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: downrigger mount suggestions?  (Read 30313 times)

dreamcatcher310

Re: downrigger mount suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2011, 02:04 AM »

We troll 2 leadcores off the side with no issues.

That said, I have seen, and have a buddy that has, a 14 footer with 2 riggers, one off the port side rear (same side as the tiller) and one off the starboard side.  He was able to put a pedestal mount so that it was out of the way of the tiller.    He tried 2 off the stern but said that setting the one behind where he sat was a pain in the neck.  However, if there is a will there is a way.  I sure you can figure something out that works for you and your boat.

After reading your post I went and looked at my boat and realized how difficult it would be to work off a downrigger rigger that's right behind where I sit. I think what I'm going to do is run one off the stern opposite my seat and then when I get a second one run that one off the starboard side. Downrigger should be here tomorrow or the next day so I hope to have it mounted by the end of the week. Also a mooching reel for my third lead core set up :)

raate

« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2011, 03:24 AM »
After reading your post I went and looked at my boat and realized how difficult it would be to work off a downrigger rigger that's right behind where I sit. I think what I'm going to do is run one off the stern opposite my seat and then when I get a second one run that one off the starboard side. Downrigger should be here tomorrow or the next day so I hope to have it mounted by the end of the week. Also a mooching reel for my third lead core set up :)
However you mount it..DON'T USE CLAMPS !  ;) Make sure they are thru bolted and back plated and mounted really SOLID.  Clamps only work good in the driveway..the first time you hang a ball on bottom, you will thank me.  8)
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

floatinwoody

« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2011, 07:39 AM »
However you mount it..DON'T USE CLAMPS !  ;) Make sure they are thru bolted and back plated and mounted really SOLID.  Clamps only work good in the driveway..the first time you hang a ball on bottom, you will thank me.  8)

X2 

Jim P

• Lake Ontario 8/2008
« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2011, 07:41 AM »
However you mount it..DON'T USE CLAMPS !  wink Make sure they are thru bolted and back plated and mounted really SOLID.  Clamps only work good in the driveway..the first time you hang a ball on bottom, you will thank me.  

Complete BS... I have been using the clamps, 2 on each side, since the boat was new. I didn't want to punch holes in the boat till I knew I had the riggers where I wanted them. Since the clamps work so good I decided to keep using them and forget about holes in the boat, it makes them a breeze to get on and off. You would break something before you had a clamp fail...  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

floatinwoody

« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Not to discount you on this. I tried clamps on both a trolling motor, and my rigger a few years back, and when the weather kicked up, i almost lost both. Im glad they work for you. What kind of clamps are you using? I had some that attached a truck cap to the bed, so they were heavy duty..I finally decided because i have wooden seats, to build a reinforced plywood box just above the side level, then thru bolt into the wooden seat. No issues now.

Jim P

• Lake Ontario 8/2008
« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I use 4 of the "C" clamps like in the picture... Two on each side, I never intended to do it this way it just worked out.... I was using the c clamps so I could move it forward/backward until I was sure where I wanted them before I drilled holes and used a bolt on type of solution. The way my sides are it's a perfect place to clamp to so I decided why put holes in the boat.  It makes it super fast and easy to get the thing off of the boat when I don't want to use the riggers. I check them all the time to make sure they don't loosen up and they have been solid for 4 years now. I have lost balls twice with them and was almost sinking the back of the boat trying to get them out, never even moved an inch.

raate

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Complete BS... I have been using the clamps, 2 on each side, since the boat was new. I didn't want to punch holes in the boat till I knew I had the riggers where I wanted them. Since the clamps work so good I decided to keep using them and forget about holes in the boat, it makes them a breeze to get on and off. You would break something before you had a clamp fail...  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:
I wish you the best of luck... 8)
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

Downeaster2007

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Here is how I mounted mine on my 17" G3 Angler boat.
My life is enjoying the Maine's outdoors, for whats left of it that the states
biologist, haven't ruined.

Downeaster2007

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Well that didn't work, will figure out this photobucket sooner or later.

Downeaster2007

« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Second try

Downeaster2007

« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Another shot, now all I got to do is find out how to put on more than one.

Downeaster2007

« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I will try it again with multiple shots.

dreamcatcher310

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Here is how I mounted mine on my 17" G3 Angler boat.

Nice setup! Beautiful boat too.. thanks for posting the pics it clarifies your description in your earlier post. Great homemade idea too and I like the extra security of adding the L brackets.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.