FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tuna Trip out of Belmar  (Read 7511 times)

fishgalore

Tuna Trip out of Belmar
« on: Aug 07, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Left the dock about 3:30 am. Started fishing about 6:00 am then Rodney jigged up the 1st BFT probably about 60lbs about 7 am.. Then we had dribs and drabs of Blues hit the lures and live bait til about 11 am.

We moved out another 10 miles to much bluer water and trolled due to some reports from reliable sources and we got a shorty BFT and 6 or 7 Mahi Mahi. That's all folks. So much for my quest for a big fish. It'll have to wait til the fall when I go out for some Stripers. We all shared the fillets so I have some meat.

I saw a large Sea Turtle  :thumbup_smilie: and a mess of Whales  :w00t: while out there. Massive creatures they are!!! :flex: :flex:

several whales in this pic........you can see where they breath through their blow hole.

Andy with a little guy caught trolling.

Rodneys catch about 60 lbs.

fishthefalls123

Re: Tuna Trip out of Belmar
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2011, 09:21 PM »
thats freaking sweet man great photos

dmntd169

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2011, 07:48 PM »
you guys had much nicer weather than we did yesterday  ;) ;)

So much for my quest for a big fish. It'll have to wait til the fall when I go out for some Stripers.

when everyone is inshore chasing bass this fall is your best chance at a giant BFT off NJ  ;)    right now its mostly schoolies and yellowfins out there
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

fishgalore

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2011, 09:12 PM »
you guys had much nicer weather than we did yesterday  ;) ;)

when everyone is inshore chasing bass this fall is your best chance at a giant BFT off NJ  ;)    right now its mostly schoolies and yellowfins out there

I guess that's why a company I used to work for did their Tuna trip in September. I would never attend even though it was free. Since I always got sick and didn't want to take the chance on Bonine or Dramamine. If it didn't work I was SOL!! I'll keep that in mind for this fall. Maybe I can find enough interest among others for another shot.

dimebrite

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2011, 07:53 AM »
I guess that's why a company I used to work for did their Tuna trip in September. I would never attend even though it was free. Since I always got sick and didn't want to take the chance on Bonine or Dramamine. If it didn't work I was SOL!! I'll keep that in mind for this fall. Maybe I can find enough interest among others for another shot.

hey FG; im no expert nor have i even fished for blue fins;  but 2 buddies of mine are going out 3rd week in october for BFT's and they have been told as well that that is the best time for a monster oof the jersey coast...  if youd like i can let you know the charter they are taking...  it sounded like a good deal to me...

fishgalore

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:17 AM »
hey FG; im no expert nor have i even fished for blue fins;  but 2 buddies of mine are going out 3rd week in october for BFT's and they have been told as well that that is the best time for a monster oof the jersey coast...  if youd like i can let you know the charter they are taking...  it sounded like a good deal to me...

That might be good to know........send me a pm. I'm going to Florida this month to visit a buddy on leave from Afghanistan but won't fish down there. He's not a fisherman. But I read this past week about (2) nice ones caught on the edge. One was 175 lbs. the other 195 lbs. The big ones are starting to come around now. Google "Shore Catch" Guide Service and then go to "fishing reports" to see them. They are some big boys right there. I don't know if I'll get out for them again this year but I hope to get on some Stripers this fall. Charter or not............I'll fish from shore as they do come inshore.

dmntd169

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Its getting to be the time to get into the giants off NJ...Problem is anything over 73" (giant class BFT) must be released (in the name on conservation). Not exactly easy to sell a trip when you explain to potential clients they may spend multiple hours fighting the fish of a lifetime and then it must be released because its over 73" while the commercial boat nearby can harvest 3 fish over 73" PER TRIP  :cookoo: :cookoo:

Us rec/ charter guys can't harvest the giants in the name of conservation yet the commercial boats are told they can harvest 3 of those fish, while we were only allowed 1 per season before the season closed on July 29  ::) ::)

dimebrite

« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2011, 11:01 AM »
that sounds completely ludicrous to me;  arent creel restrictions usually put on a fish being under a certain length rather than over ???

FG;  i'll let you know about their charter...  i was gonna go myself; but i will be in pursuit of chromers up north around that time...

dmntd169

« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2011, 11:29 AM »
that sounds completely ludicrous to me;  arent creel restrictions usually put on a fish being under a certain length rather than over ???

FG;  i'll let you know about their charter...  i was gonna go myself; but i will be in pursuit of chromers up north around that time...

There are multiple size classes of BFT and regs on each of them. The Giant class, 73" and above, are considered the prime spawning fish and I do agree with the regs on them (the recreational regs anyways) as they need to be protected before the whole species is fished into extinction.  :'( :'( :'(

The problem I have is the NMFS tells us rec/ charter guys we can only keep 1 giant per year and has to be done before a certain date, in the name of conserving the species, yet allows the commercial vessels to keep 3 per trip and their season runs all year  :cookoo: :cookoo:

You can read up on the permits and regs here: https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/Default.asp

loustru

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2011, 05:39 PM »
 :D :D  I was out in Spencer canyon this past weekend 10/8 +10/9 along with everyone else who was looking for tuna. Beautiful weather. we caught 10 on the chunk and another 10 trolling, all yellowfins . Also 1 mahi. All tuna were around 50lbs. Now I can resume bow-hunting. Lou.

fishgalore

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2011, 06:26 PM »
:D :D  I was out in Spencer canyon this past weekend 10/8 +10/9 along with everyone else who was looking for tuna. Beautiful weather. we caught 10 on the chunk and another 10 trolling, all yellowfins . Also 1 mahi. All tuna were around 50lbs. Now I can resume bow-hunting. Lou.

Sounds like some fun out there! Good job Lou.

Robbieq16

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Good job loustru get some back straps

dmntd169

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 06:37 PM »
they are starting to show up off NJ but its still early...

I had some fresh sushi on the boat last weekend which is the earliest in the season I ever have (unless you wanna count me going down to NC over the winter for em) ;)

dmntd169

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:15 PM »
the entire fleet is in shambles after this storm...my friend sent me a pic of a 44' Henriques on the front lawn of her condo in Belmar  :-\   1 of the boats I work on is missing (we pulled her and put her on blocks before the storm) and the other is probably gonna end up being a total loss  :'( :'(   so much for our hopes of once again chasing giants off NJ this fall  :-\

fishgalore

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:08 PM »
the entire fleet is in shambles after this storm...my friend sent me a pic of a 44' Henriques on the front lawn of her condo in Belmar  :-\   1 of the boats I work on is missing (we pulled her and put her on blocks before the storm) and the other is probably gonna end up being a total loss  :'( :'(   so much for our hopes of once again chasing giants off NJ this fall  :-\

That sucks! I had a trip planned for November for Bass. It might be cancelled now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.