FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salmon and Trout Snagging??  (Read 13962 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Salmon and Trout Snagging??
« Reply #105 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:33 PM »
fat  boy   is  the  name   because   of  the  bike  you  ride?

Nope, and it's not because I'm fat  :rotflol: (although, in recent years my stature is starting to resemble my user name :whistling:).  It started as my Iceshanty user name years ago, when my favorite lure was the ice jig by Systems Tackle, the Fat Boy:

And it just stuck I guess.  A lot of people ask me if I have a Harley though.  I think they're cool, but before I buy one of those, I'd get the boat of my dreams first  ;D

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #106 on: Oct 15, 2011, 01:43 AM »
        Some may find this hard to believe, but I did swing flies as a kid for landlocks with fly line at fall creek falls, it was a very  {looking for the right word} trying sport, it took huge amounts of patience, you might get no follows or on a good evening hook three, it wasn't for me, I'm an action guy, does me needing lots of action make me lazy or somehow not as good of a person as the next guy.? I hope not, I'm just different.. I've always wondered in my mind, isn't it more cruel to the fish to be re hooked over and over, rather than hooked once in what ever manner, then put out of it's misery and killed.?  I don't think this way, but it comes to mind every time one of these debates gets going about ETHICS.
and yu called me soft, lol, cant believe you even got involved in this

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #107 on: Oct 15, 2011, 01:45 AM »
  Call me what you want.. I like hooking 80 fish a day, been doing it since I was taught by the old timers of the time 33 years ago..martin and mono on a fly rod...r r r r rope a dope..... it's fun and I have a good time, that's all that matters to me.. I try not to judge others on how they fish, do what you want, it don't matter to me.

raate

« Reply #108 on: Oct 15, 2011, 05:02 AM »
  I'm no salmontologist, but for battling other male salmon for position on the redd?   ;)
"They do not bite like any other fish, in fact, they don't really bite at all."

I think Trapper is confusing 'biting" with "feeding" ?

I agree the salmon stop feeding...and long before they enter the rivers btw..but we still get them to "bite" in the lake..when their stomachs are shrunk...and you can get them to strike in the rivers also...just alot easier to snag!  :D

Not only do the the males bite each other on the redd...they also STRIKE OUT at any other fish near the redd...
\

but salmon don't bite in the river ::)..ask Trapper the 33 year snagger... :-*
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #109 on: Oct 15, 2011, 05:20 AM »
well if you dont think they bite try casting glow cleos in the harbor at sunset and into the night
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #110 on: Oct 15, 2011, 06:55 AM »
if  you  get  one  salmon  in 1000's  to  hit  once  in agression you  are  lucky  ...  fishing  in the harbor ...your  fishing  legally  in lake  ontario  ...and  i have probablly lost  more  cleos  in my life  then you  have  ever thrown

you  can think ,believe  ,and say what you want ......  but  99.9%  of these  fish  will not bite  hit  or mouth  anything ....99.9%  of  the  fisherman honestly know this  and  we all still fish  for them ...

all i'm saying  is  i'm honest about  it... 

if  everyone was honest  about it  then there would  be no more  special  water such  as  fly  sections ...  if  everyone  was  honest  the  elitist  wouldn't have  a  leg  to  stand  on !   if  everyone  was  honest barclay  wouldn't  be  buying  up more river  and   charging   outrages  fees  to  fish .... 

see thats  why your  parents  always  said  to tell  the  truth! 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #111 on: Oct 15, 2011, 08:14 AM »

Ok Trapp , I feel the same way as you , but I'm gettin a lil sick of this topic and you have made you're point clearly several times on this and every other thread when this topic comes up . People aren't always gonna see things the same . lets put this topic to bed buddy and do some fishin and huntin . It's fall baby and we are blessed with a sportsmans Paradise here in our state lets all enjoy it the way we choose and quit bickering like silly kids  ;D

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #112 on: Oct 15, 2011, 08:18 AM »
"They do not bite like any other fish, in fact, they don't really bite at all."

I think Trapper is confusing 'biting" with "feeding" ?

I agree the salmon stop feeding...and long before they enter the rivers btw..but we still get them to "bite" in the lake..when their stomachs are shrunk...and you can get them to strike in the rivers also...just alot easier to snag!  :D

Not only do the the males bite each other on the redd...they also STRIKE OUT at any other fish near the redd...
\

but salmon don't bite in the river ::)..ask Trapper the 33 year snagger... :-*

Don't drag me back into this.......33 years I've enjoyed good action, I'll wait all day for my 3 eyes, but not chinooks. I've caught really white salmon off the altmar bridge on hot shots, never said you can't aggrivate a few into snapping, but most days it's a long day on the Salmon river getting a handful to really bite.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #113 on: Oct 15, 2011, 08:19 AM »
I mean really?! we're going to have this conversation again? Why I am I the only one this year to busy to fish? and have to read this! I am sure you guys have been out way more then me this fall. Except Snagger he's busy to. To be honest I don't care what the guy 3 feet away from me is doing. As long as I am not going to get hurt its not a big deal. Here are the numbers are you ready????? 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish! END OF STORY!! >:( I can only speak for my circle of friends on the Snagging or foul hooked fish. Is that we toss them back once we know that they are foul! Unharmed Done! Now go fishing!! Be apart of the 10%!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #114 on: Oct 15, 2011, 08:27 AM »
well  dot  you  can  feel  that  way  and  you  can  not  open  a  thread!    you  see  a  discussion  as  something  bad  because  i  really  won't  change  my  views  but  lets  look  at this  ...the  very  first  post  here  was  very negitive ...i  stood  up  along  with  3  others  ...  since  that  time    many  people  voiced  there  opinions!   INCLUDING  SNAGGER!!!!  thats  great    not  to mention   we  all  got  to  meet a  new  friend    fat  boy  ...  so  as  a  old  fart   i'm  making  a  suggestion  to a  young  fart  ....  don't  judge  ,  and  don't  look  at  the  negative   but  the  positive  ....when  we  can  have  honest  and  passinate  debates  ,there  will  always  be  good  coming  out  of  it.  

and  bye  the  way  i  did  admit  that   maybe  a  small  amount  (very  small)  of  salmon  will  swipe  at  something  out  of  aggression  .....   fish  that likes  cleos   i think i know  who  you  are  you  like  to  fish  at  night  down  by  the   railroad  bridge  in  oswego  with  chucky  and  that  group.  remeber  ya  can't threw  a  cleo  in  the  river  during  salmon  season  ;D  
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

griz104

« Reply #115 on: Oct 15, 2011, 08:46 AM »

Ok Trapp , I feel the same way as you , but I'm gettin a lil sick of this topic and you have made you're point clearly several times on this and every other thread when this topic comes up . People aren't always gonna see things the same . lets put this topic to bed buddy and do some fishin and huntin . It's fall baby and we are blessed with a sportsmans Paradise here in our state lets all enjoy it the way we choose and quit bickering like silly kids  ;D

AMEN... 8 pages of basically the same thing.. Must be a few politicians in this bunch as they are the only ones i know who can go on and on and on and on......And still never say anything important!!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #116 on: Oct 15, 2011, 03:15 PM »
“King salmon are almost nothing like trout or bass. They do not bite like any other fish, in fact, they don't really bite at all. Spawning salmon are in the river only to breed. They do not eat once they hit fresh water.”
— AlaskaKings.com

There's more to this story though...for interesting reading...and it pretty much states what I've been saying for stream run fish.  Here's part of the rest:

There is quite a difference of opinion among fishermen as to why King Salmon bite anything at all. Our theory is that the salmon are spawning and when you put something bright in front of their face that has an egg sack on it, they pick it up in their mouth. They do this not to eat it but to move it. Perhaps they mouth it just make sure that another fish does not get it.

Other fishermen believe that the salmon are simply showing aggression by striking out at anything in their path. If you watch salmon as they spawn, they will constantly chase and snap at one another.

Some people say that they've had King Salmon hammer the bait and bite it hard. However, this isn't our experience. In those cases, the King was probably on the line a lot longer than the fisherman thought. The salmon simply hooked itself and then went berserk when it felt the hook and line.

In any case, King Salmon do definitely take the lure into their mouths and the result is a bite.  A bite is not a big yank or tug. Sometimes a bite manifests itself as a momentary slackening of your line. It often feels like you are caught on a rock and it won't feel like a fish at all.

There's more here:  http://www.alaskakings.com/Fishing/kingsalmon.htm

Basically, it's interesting reading, and I think that this debate will never be over, on this forum and any other.  The good thing is that when you hook one of these monsters fair (in the mouth), they certainly are strong, fight hard, and are fun.  

Good luck to all this fall.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.