FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Packing out your trout.  (Read 6202 times)

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
Packing out your trout.
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:19 PM »
OK, I've never kept fish before because I just don't like the taste but my pregnant wife is on a fish kick so I have been keeping a few brookies that I've caught only a hundred yards or so from the road. easy to catch and then pack out to the truck and back home quickly.  But with the warm weather coming and me wanting to go farther into the wilderness for trout, I was wondering how you guys that fish for trout way back in the woods and keep them, pack them out in the warm weather?  I want to hit some of my favorite trout ponds but I'm worried about the fish starting to rot before I can hike them back to the truck. Just looking for ideas or suggestions.  Thank you.
Roy

surflizard

Re: Packing out your trout.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Go old school, Wicker Creel and wet grass or a scrap of burlap ! I've also used my day pack and a freezer pack in a ziploc when it got real hot.

JeepinMattieXJ

• that girl sure loves to... FISH!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:26 PM »
cooler with ice, fill it up with drinks and lunch and when you start catching fish you have to prioritize on room, lunch always loses

Goatskin

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:47 PM »
If you do use a cooler which is the easiest thing to do I think. Bring stuff that can be packed without containers and just clear plastic wrap or stuff that doesnt need it at all like apples. You could get one the small bag coolers and stick it in a back pack with your other stuff. I think thats the easiest way to keep stuff cool for a long time. And gut the trout before you put them in the cooler.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 06:16 AM »
ive got a packpack from cabelas that has a built in cooler. works great for backwoods trips. it kept ice for 2 days in it! or a soft cooler. one you can throw over your shoulder.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 06:20 AM »
Cool. Thanks guys.

OTIS

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:22 AM »
Go old school, Wicker Creel and wet grass or a scrap of burlap ! I've also used my day pack and a freezer pack in a ziploc when it got real hot.

This is what my grandfather always did.  On the really hot days he'd put a small bag of ice under the grass.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

NYSporty

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:41 AM »
cooler with ice, fill it up with drinks and lunch and when you start catching fish you have to prioritize on room, lunch always loses

That's what I do a soft side 6 pack cooler with a shoulder strap and use a good ice pack.
The sold plastic ones not the jelly pouches they leak nasty jelly slime when you least expect it.
I roll each fish in a bread bag to keep the cooler clean.
It also keeps my worms from dieing while out in the heat.

derik

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Ice pack in a backpack with some plastic bags, throw in a frozen bottle of water and you have something to re-hydrate with too.  On a side note, don't know what the mercury level in your local fish is like but probably something to look in to if your wife is pregnant.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:47 PM »
.  On a side note, don't know what the mercury level in your local fish is like but probably something to look in to if your wife is pregnant.

I did. we are ok for the little amount she has eaten.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.