FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Time of day to catch mackerel?  (Read 22558 times)

J.BlueFish.J

Time of day to catch mackerel?
« on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Does it matter the time of day to fish for mackerel or striped bass?
HTguy on ice shanty

TightLines

Re: Time of day to catch mackerel?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Does it matter the time of day to fish for mackerel or striped bass?
nope
Salmon jump at the site of my boat. ;D

Feeding Eagles one pike at a time. ;D

rude the dude

• when can we go again?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:32 AM »
First thing in the morning has always been good to me. No matter what the weather or tide, I can always catch bait at daylight, sometimes as they get fussy later in the season, it only last a half hour.  8)

jimmie333

• Fish On!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:54 AM »
I think the bigger and better striper fishing is right at sun rise and after sun set. Yes, you can catch some decent fish during the day but nothing beats night time river fishing near and inlet at the correct tide.  ;D

MGK

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I've always done well on the incoming tide
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Mackerel fishing is much better during the day.As far as stripers go,you be the judge,you don't see much daylight in these pics............................................. ..

jimmie333

• Fish On!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Darn Buddah those are some monstah cows. We will be hammering them real soon!

EASTGRANDEST

• How they bite'n?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2012, 04:10 PM »
You just blacked out the back ground. Don't wanna spot burn!!

Those fish are COWS!!!
Fishin' on the job again?

NEK

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2012, 05:04 PM »
I found - right at daybreak to be the best time to catch Macks - but that being said, they can be caught all day if you do some light chumming in the right spot.
  Never fished Stripers at night, but from what I hear -  a lot of the bigger ones are caught then. I usually drifted or slow trolled live Mackerel or Pollock on an outgoing tide and almost always caught enough fish to keep me happy. Once in awhile - If catching Macks around a rock reef, I would bait a line with one and let it swim around under a big bobber - that produced a lot of fun at times too.
  On another note - I finally gave up on the macks and pollock because on certain days, you spend  more time trying to catch bait than you do fishing. I just started buying live eels and wished I had been using them all along. They are hard to beat.
  Good fishing
  Warren

FishLund

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:10 AM »
It depends on the tide and where your fishing from! 8)

fishingsurveyor

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:35 AM »
Mackerel fishing is much better during the day.As far as stripers go,you be the judge,you don't see much daylight in these pics............................................. ..

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
What else is there to do
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

sst4life

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Mackerel fishing is much better during the day.As far as stripers go,you be the judge,you don't see much daylight in these pics...................................

Listen to this guy !!!  macks are good to use but dont forget to use bubble gum or white sluggos during the day for stripers that is.
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

derik

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2012, 05:53 AM »
  On another note - I finally gave up on the macks and pollock because on certain days, you spend  more time trying to catch bait than you do fishing. I just started buying live eels and wished I had been using them all along. They are hard to beat.
  Good fishing
  Warren

How much are eels going for these days?  I haven't fished for stripers in a long time I remember people telling me that the price is a lot higher now for eels than it was 10 years ago.

NEK

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2012, 08:27 AM »
How much are eels going for these days?  I haven't fished for stripers in a long time I remember people telling me that the price is a lot higher now for eels than it was 10 years ago.
I don't know the price of eels any more - as I moved away from salt water and haven't bought any eels since about 2003. As I remember - they were around .50 cents apiece back then and worth every penny, when you figure in the time and gas it takes to run around trying to catch Macks or Pollock. It's a different story - around Portsmouth Nh where I fished -  in the early season, when the Macks are in thick and you can catch a baitwell full in 15 or 20 minutes right close to shore - it don't pay to use eels - but later on when the Mack finding gets tough, then it's worth the price.

dags

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Eels run around $1.00-$2.00 a piece these days.

-Dylan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.