FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: OT Toddler Life Jacket  (Read 3863 times)

OT Toddler Life Jacket
« on: Jun 28, 2012, 02:04 PM »
As you can see I don't post much, but I do fish.  I have a 2 yo daughter that I'm hoping likes the boat more this year than her first two summers.  Part of what she hasn't liked is the life jacket.  We bought her a new one.  I would like to come up with some super Exciting/Fun name to call the jacket so she'll want to wear it.  Any suggestions from other parents or people more creative than I?

warbonnett

Re: OT Toddler Life Jacket
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2012, 02:48 PM »
  It's a mommy & daddy loves you very much jacket !

warbonnett :clapping:

TheDirtyAndro

• Casting lines and slinging arrows
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 PM »
It's the "OH $#!& jacket"  8)

But seriously, I'm not a parent, but you could use the praise for good behavior method. If she wears it, she gets a treat. I know, I know, it sounds like how you train a puppy. But hey, still works on me  :rotflol:
\"Poets talk about \"spots of time\", but it is really the fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone.\"  Norman McLean

Slammin_Brookies!!

• "Speed and Accuracy" Airborne All The Way 82nd
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:36 PM »
As you can see I don't post much, but I do fish.  I have a 2 yo daughter that I'm hoping likes the boat more this year than her first two summers.  Part of what she hasn't liked is the life jacket.  We bought her a new one.  I would like to come up with some super Exciting/Fun name to call the jacket so she'll want to wear it.  Any suggestions from other parents or people more creative than I?

I have a 2.5 year old who hated the life jacket her first year. I have found she loves it, now that she knows the purpose of it. Kids are smart and fast learners. Get her out in the shallow water with Dad, take the life jacket off and she will realize she sinks and sucks in a little water. Bring her swimming alot and to a lake or beach not a pool so she can associate it with being on the water. My kid loves wearing her life jacket now and goes down a 10 foot water slide in the deep end at my parents pool by herself. Once they realize the jacket keeps them a float and they can do big kid stuff. She will love it.
If you're too busy to fish...........You're too Fa..king busy!

Bridog

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Have her wear it when she goes swimming a few times.....she will get used to it and it will allow her to be more comfortable near the water.

LadyLaker

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2012, 04:30 PM »
Have her wear it when she goes swimming a few times.....she will get used to it and it will allow her to be more comfortable near the water.

x2 ...Let her play/swim in the water with it on and then it won't be considered a PIA  8) (at that age they don't understand how important the jacket is)

With the HOT & HUMID weather heading our way,  I'm sure they'll be lots of beach days...  I know I'm headin !!!

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2012, 06:43 PM »
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=14780

For those that want a life vest that toddlers and kids don't mind, try this style. My daughter wears hers even around the house. Super soft and they forget they have it on.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2012, 06:59 AM »
Thanks all.  Some great advise.  We'll definitley be hitting the beach this weekend so we'll bring it along. 

« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2012, 08:53 PM »
What a difference a year makes.  Showed her the "boat jacket" the night before and she didn't want to take it off.  Spent the day at the beach exploring the tidal pools and collecting shells.  It got a little rough on the way back and she fell asleep.  Can't wait to take her to Moosehead later ths summer.  Hopefully she'll like trolling.  Thanks all for the help. 

Gary L

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Great discussion!

I took my 5 YO nephew fishing in my boat for his first time on Monday. Bought him a nice vest at Gander for the trip.
By the time I got him set up with kid rod and reel and a small tackle box plus the vest it cost me over $100.

He hated the vest and wanted to go home an hour in to the trip! Guess I better wait a couple years before Uncle G tries again. The only thing he did like was watching the fish finder with fish ID and alarms set. We never did have children so this is all new to me and so far I am O for one!

Gary

Slammin_Brookies!!

• "Speed and Accuracy" Airborne All The Way 82nd
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Great discussion!

I took my 5 YO nephew fishing in my boat for his first time on Monday. Bought him a nice vest at Gander for the trip.
By the time I got him set up with kid rod and reel and a small tackle box plus the vest it cost me over $100.

He hated the vest and wanted to go home an hour in to the trip! Guess I better wait a couple years before Uncle G tries again. The only thing he did like was watching the fish finder with fish ID and alarms set. We never did have children so this is all new to me and so far I am O for one!

Gary

Good work getting out there. Kids love the action at a young age. Try bringing him to a bass pond where u can cut the motor and get on some fish. Before he knows it 2-3 hours will pass and he'll have a blast. I hate junk fish but i'll catch them all day if the kid is havin fun. Don't let the first time disourage you. He will grow to love it.
If you're too busy to fish...........You're too Fa..king busy!

The Rusty Crab

« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2012, 07:30 AM »
x3 as I have 3 kids and they hated life jackets until at the end of the day they get to jump off the boat for a swim

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #12 on: Jul 06, 2012, 07:41 AM »
I have two daughters and I'm not sure if you wear yours as well but when they were younger I just put mine on as well so they saw everyone had to do it...now they are 5 and 8 and I just tell them that the police will arrest us all if they don't have them on... ;D
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.