FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Summer Fish  (Read 1997 times)

black hills tj

Big Summer Fish
« on: Jun 29, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Alright guys, I usually fish Sheridan and Pactola...honestly, for whatever bites.  There is always an abundance of fish, but I've never really got into big fish.  This past winter I was able to hook up with a bunch of 20-22" Lakers through the ice, which was great.  However, what's the secret to getting into a little bigger fish in the summer?  Whether it be real big rainbows, any lake trout really(they don't have to be monster wall hangers), big bass(I've never really done any bass fishing, just get lucky very rarely), or some good sized toothy northerns.  So far this summer I've picked up too many rainbows to count, but nothing over 20".  No bass at all.  A few northern's on white/red spinners, but nothing huge.  And not a single lake trout.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I'm not asking for all your secrets or your honey hole.  Just a few tips to point me in the right direction to get into bigger fish.

Some of the gear in my box that gets thrown around often includes...

Black/Silver Roostertails
Brown/Gold Roostertails
White/Red Spinners
Chartreuse Spinners
Black/Silver Cranks
Chartreuse Cranks
Silver/Blue Kastmasters
Metallic Perch Kastmasters
and of course...the obligatory nightcrawlers, if you can consider that gear

jgouldin

Re: Big Summer Fish
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2012, 06:06 PM »
From my understanding anyone that i know who catches lakers in the summer go at night! Back in the day we caught bigger fish when we got in deeper water with down riggers.  I dont know anything about sheridan never really ice or boat fished it.  My favorite spinner is green though.

black hills tj

Re: Big Summer Fish
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2012, 11:36 AM »
When its hot out or the fishing is slow we ski from our boat, so we aren't setting up downriggers any time soon.  I will look into fishing some deeper water, though.  If I'm throwing spinners I often have a white/red on one rod and a chartreuse on another rod.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.