FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Proper Size Trolling Motor of a Canoe (13 foot)  (Read 4851 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Proper Size Trolling Motor of a Canoe (13 foot)
« on: Mar 15, 2005, 06:37 PM »
I spend a lot of time on a small lake where most of the time, I'm the only fisherman. I have a small 13 foot canoe that I can carry around myself. I want to buy a trolling motor for it this year so I don't lose my spot as much, (hard to fish and paddle at the same time. Any suggestions to the size of motor needed or what to look for?

Little Brown Dog

Re: Proper Size Trolling Motor of a Canoe (13 foot)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2005, 07:34 AM »
I have a 30/30 for my 15 footer and it works well. 30 pound thrust, 30 inch shaft.  Was only about $100.  The one thing that happens is when its windy the bow gets blown around, so you have to go directly into the wind.

allenca

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2005, 02:19 PM »
Whatever size you get make sure it has a weedless prop. Myself i would go with a at least 30lb thrust but if you have a boat get a bigger one so you can use it on both of them.I have a 44lb thrust and that thing really pushes a twelve foot boat but it also works well on my 16ft fishing boat. just a little hint to tell you, if you want to back troll with your boat turn the powerhead around that way when you go foward your acctually going backwards works really good.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Thanx guys, I'm going to go with a Minn Kota motor that is 40. I was goign to go with the entry level unit but I thought, one day I may buy a bigger boat, why have to buy another troller. Im also going to add a nice fishfinder, my canoe is getting pretty high tech.!

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:12 AM »
That was my old set up.  But after putting on the motor, battery, fishfinder, tackle bag rod holders, trolling rods and a dog, there was not much freeboard.  As soon as the wind picked up I had to head to the truck.

tinboat

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2005, 02:03 PM »
For better balance in the canoe, try mounting the battery in the front of the canoe. Use 8 -10 gauge wire to run back to the motor. This will help with the wind pushing the bow around. Make sure to "secure" the battery, so it can't shift due to waves/wind/tipping to land a fish etc.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Thanx tinboat that sounds like a great idea. Im currently using a old anchor in the front to help weigh it down. But the battery would do the trick. thanx, i'll give it a try

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.