FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Powder Paint Fluid Bed  (Read 6975 times)

OTIS

Powder Paint Fluid Bed
« on: Mar 25, 2013, 08:13 AM »
So I put together my fluid bed, double 3” with the suggested pressure control valves and a double pump.  I started out using brown lunch bags for a filter, but this has resulted in “volcanoes”, or no reaction within the paint what so ever.  I’ve spent a good amount of time playing with the air pressure to no avail.  So I now have more questions:

1)   What is the recommended amount of paint (measured depth) to use in a 3” fluid bed?

2)   What other media filter materials has anyone has success using?

Any suggestions as to how I should go about getting this to work would be greatly appreciated.

'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

BIGCREW

Re: Power Paint Fluid Bed
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2013, 09:49 PM »
I think you mean powder paint right,if so I have read posts and seed a few videos on youtube on this as I am interisted as well and most guys are using coffee filters

OTIS

Re: Powder Paint Fluid Bed
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Ya, that's it... ;D  I'm wondering if I don't have enough paint in the cup, or if I need to find some new filter media.  By the lack of responces, I guess I'm going to have to experiment... 8)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Reel Force

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Here's a good vid to watch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WELQxrOr30

OTIS

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Thanks Reel Force.  I watched most of the videos I could find out on the web before I built my setup.  I'm finding that there are a lot of variables in each individual system that you have to play around with to fine tune (different pumps, chamber size, media, paint colors, etc...).  I think I'm going to start with my filter media, then move on to the depth of paint to use in my particular system.

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:42 AM »
After looking at that video again Reel Force, I'm wondering if my pump is strong enough to run two 3" beds.  It's looking like I have a lot of playing around to do this week... ???

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2013, 11:05 AM »
yeah jeff, any tips from your experiences with fluid beds you could give to first-timers?

Reel Force

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2013, 03:28 PM »
yeah jeff, any tips from your experiences with fluid beds you could give to first-timers?

Still very much a newb at it myself...  ;)

OTIS

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2013, 09:04 AM »
Let me tell ya, this is getting to be a pain in the ace!  I went with a second pump and tried another type of filter media and didn't have any luck.  I can get it to boil, however the paint smokes up out of the cup.  I just can't dial them in... ???

Looks like I'm going with it, like it or not. >:(

saskcat20

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45 AM »
I made my fluid beds out of 2" pipe. I use brown paper bags and it works well. I have had some paint that seems a little denser than some of my other paints. I have noticed that some paint works better than others. Sometimes I  have to just deal with little volcanoes.. On my pump I can control the speed of air coming out.. I also have to stir the fluid beds sometimes to help fluff up the powder.

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Thanks.  I've learned to deal with them :P.  They don't work like the ones I see on youtube, but they get the job done.  I think a 2" would be a little easier to get working, but the lures I want to paint are over 2" long.

frozengator

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2014, 12:40 AM »
Not sure on if you still read this, This is what I work with and I know the one we use has a air control and a vibrator too. I may have to start doing my own jigs and hooks ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.